THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What was my 358Norma in it's first life?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was my 358Norma in it's first life?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Took my FN barreled action out of the stock today. I'm pretty sure it was rechamber. Where the original numbers and proof mark was it has been flattened and stamped. "358 Norma" and the bolt looks like it might have been enlarged.

The bottom of the barrel is stamped 7-17-1959. Don't believe the 358 Norma came along until the early 70s. Any idea what the barrel might have been in it's first life?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Norma introduced the .358 Norma Magnum in 1959.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/358norma.htm
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/358nm.html

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The possibilities are limited by the number of .35-caliber bolt-gun cartridges that were common back then. Probably it was a 35 Whelen or a 358 Winchester, but if it was rebored AND rechambered, it could have been anything.

Are there any other marks on the barrel?

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob.

I misread my book one spot says 1959 the other late 58. LOL Where the barrel is normally marked with the caliber just ahead of the left side of the action the barrel has a flat spot. There are the top of some letters showing above the flat spot but I can't make them out. Proof Marks?? Then in that flat it is Stamped 358 Norma. Looks like it was did in one stamping not letter by letter. I can't really imagine it was a rebore because it is just a standard 21" barrel with front sight. Just can't think what else it might have been.

Okie, other than the date on the bottom and the parts of letters showing about the flat there are no other marking. The FN and Belgim sre below the stock line only the 4 digit serial number shows on the action.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote