New
Find
Notify
Tools

steyer scout .308
 Login/Join

Picture of Chris Davis
posted
Hey I just got my new Steyer Scout rifle and I am looking for a good load to start with. Thanks Chris

Posts: 14 | Location: Golden, Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Wink150gr. FP Speer Hot Core,43.5gr., Accurate 2230, 2550 FPS. 3 shot 1/4" group at 50 yds.More than adequate out to at least 200 yds. in your fast handeling Scout. thumb beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Davis:
Hey I just got my new Steyer Scout rifle and I am looking for a good load to start with. Thanks Chris

Both of my 308 scouts shoot very well with 46grs of Varget and 165gr Partitions (Lapua cases, fed gm210m primers). If I do my part they will shoot 3/4" 3shot groups at 200yds (shot 1 3/4" group at 300yds) with that load. I think that that load will do just about anything I'd need to do with a 308. You might also try 168gr TSX's with the same powder but the partition load has shot so well I probably won't mess with it any more..........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the 165 Partition over Varget. It seems to shoot well in any 308.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start here...
steyr scout pages

or
ammo database

my best load for accuracy, killing power and low recoil is a 165gr Hornady BTSP onto of 41.5 gr. of H4895 and Fed GM 210 primers.
I also substitute the Hornady AMAX 168 with the load and have killed numerous deer (up to 210 pounds) with it. dont expect an exit w/ the AMAX beyond 50 yards.

i have used the Varget but found that 44 grains did everything i needed and kept recoil quite low.
keep in mind that MV will always be higher than expected in a Steyr.
for instance...
FEDERAL Gold Medal MAtch 168 BTHP's run 2650 average in the remington PSS 26" and run 2550-2570 in my Steyr 20".
thats only an average of 100 FP w/ a loss of 6" of barrel.
steyrs have very fast barrels.
as a factory rifle the only thing i change is to switch the standard action screws with Stainless steel ones.
If you want i can get you a set pretty cheap.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Chris Davis
posted Hide Post
Thanks for giving me a start guys.
Chris

Posts: 14 | Location: Golden, Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try some of each weight. Example: My scout likes the 180gr Partition. Another I know of does it's best with the 165gr BT.
JMHO, but it could be worth a try.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Chris Davis
posted Hide Post
I got a few loads worked up to try this weekend. I will let you know how we did. Thanks agin guys