New
Find
Notify
Tools

275 Rigby (7x57mm) ammo...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few years back I picked a Ruger Hawkeye in 275 Rigby. I've been saving it for when my boys get old enough and thankfully that day is on the horizon. I'm hoping to take my older son to Masailand in a few years for plains game and thought this rifle would be a great option.

I've not tried anything with this rifle yet and have come to learn that 275 Rigby ammo can be tough to come by (I do not reload). However, it seems I can find 7x57mm ammo with ease.

I'd appreciate any recommendations on a good performing bullet. I am always a fan of Barnes TTSX but was intrigued by the Norma Oryx since I can get it up to 170g.

I anticipate most of our preparatory shooting will be with 7x57mm since it's easier to find. However, does anyone have a good source for 275 Rigby head-stamped brass? I'm sure when it comes to travel I will eventually need to find brass stamped to match the caliber listed on the barrel...

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
As you probably know there was no such thing as a 275 Rigby cartridge, until in recent years where Hornady for one did make ammunition with the 275 Rigby headstamp. All the earlier 275 Rigby rifle used 7x57 Mauser cartridges variously headstamped; .275, 7mm Mauser, 7x57, etc.

In terms of the 7x57 for use in Africa I don't think you could get a better reasonably modern day recommendation than Jack O'Connor's wife who used a 7x57 to take almost all of the common African PG with one shot a piece with the exception of a heart shot large kudu where she gave it a couple more shots to anchor it on the spot. She took 17 head of game up to zebra and kudu on one safari with 19 rounds. Her load was a Sierra 160gr bullet doing about 2700fps.
I've used the 7x57 on large red deer and found the lighter 140gr bullets at 2800fps killed far quicker with mostly DRT shots than the heavier slower moving 175gr bullets. I loaded 7x57 ammo for my hunting friend to use on Aussie buffalo using the 160gr Nosler Partition, they killed fine on head and neck shots.

I wouldn't go heavier than 160gr in the 7x57/.275 Rigby for any game.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I take it you are going to reload the 7x57, PA.

Though it is a great cartridge, it seems factory ammo is loaded way down in case people shoot it in ancient 93 Mausers etc. I've heard that might explain the 7mm08 - while it has less capacity, at least you can buy factory ammo of full strength.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Though it is a great cartridge, it seems factory ammo is loaded way down in case people shoot it in ancient 93 Mausers etc. I've heard that might explain the 7mm08 - while it has less capacity, at least you can buy factory ammo of full strength.

Yes that is true to a certain extent. American companies have always unloaded 7x57 ammo just as they do 8x57 ammo, the former due to the pre-98 Mausers and the latter due to the two different bore sizes of the 8mm J and JS Mausers. The Poms are generally always conservative in their loadings. The Europeans, especially Norma, have always loaded ammo up to decent performances and rely on people using their brains to decide if their guns are up to using that ammo loaded to decent pressure and velocity.

Some of the American cartridge loadings are pathetic but then they have the silly, I'll get my lawyer to file a lawsuit when I make dumb decisions.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

At this point I do not reload. However, maybe I should start...

As for the factory ammo, I was planning on ordering ammo from a custom ammo maker. I've used Hendershots (Extreme Ammo) in the past and found their products to be top notch. I'm confident they would not download the 7x57mm ammo.

Eagle...I appreciate the insight on the 170 grain option. Growing up shooting a 270 Winchester, I always shot 150 grain with satisfactory results so I'll try to stick to the 150 to 160 grain options.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my 7x57 for my PG on my last hunt.

175 gr Grand Slam at 2400 FPS.

I was quite impressed with how well it worked. Eland to Serval.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
My first hunting rifle was a Chilean 95 Mauser. I hunted and reloaded a bunch with it, 4831 and 160g bullets grouped like a clover leaf.
I did use it up here on a big moose with 175g bullets and it did it's job, just didn't have much authority.

I never did load tsx's in the 7x57 but I bet it would work great.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen a lot of game shot with Rem Corelokt 175 gr factory stuff, and used them on deer and PG. They killed good. ON paper they are about like a 170 gr 30-30 but appeared to be much more potent? why I dont know, maybe SD ????. Even on elk they seemed the equal of a 06 or 270 with properly placed bullets..I always used the 130 gr Speer on deer size and the 160 Nosler on elk over the years and the older I get the better I like the 7x57. My first, a custom rifle, marked
275 never caused any problems with African officials. My latest is a Renner custom 7x57. I always thought one could mark the barrel 275 Rigby (7x57) and cover all bases.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote