New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, now I've done it
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought one of those Ruger Mark II Stainless in 7MM SAUM on Gunbroker. I couldn't pass it up at the price and I really like the convenience and low maintenance of the stainless / synthetic combo.
I'd been thinking about getting a .270 for a while, and this just seemed sexier. I'm pretty sure that the rifle will be a reloading only proposition within 5 years, but I'm willing to live with that. Besides, at $40/box for ammo, it doesn't take long for reloading to pay for itself. Are there any happy 7MM SAUM shooters out there with reloading suggestions or tips?

This will be my first non .22 Ruger rifle, but I hear the Mark II 77 is pretty good except for the lousy trigger.

Thanks,

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a-p:

I've always thought that the Ruger 77 was one of the best deals for the money out there (along with their Red Label shotgun in the world of O/U's).

While I don't have any SAUM experience, the 7mm version has always looked to me like one of the better choices.

Take a look at Brownell's and see if you can find a new & improved ( Wink ) trigger for it, and you should have one heckuva hunting rig! thumb

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I am a happy 7mmSAUM owner. I have the Remington model 7 S/S. It is a wonderful rifle, and cartridge. I use 160 gr Accubonds. It is a consistent 1/2" rifle with those. I did use Partitions the last couple years with groups just under an inch. I have yet to handload for it, and now with the Accubonds shooting as well as they do I doubt I will. I have used mine for mule deer, and bighorn sheep it has performed exceptionally! I have yet to recover a bullet. I am taking mine to Wyoming for mulies this October, I cant wait. Big Grin

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that Nosler sells loaded ammunition for the 7mmSAUM. Look it up on their website under Nosler Custom Ammunition. You wont be sorry.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip about the Nosler ammo. It looks very reasonably priced for what you get.

Smiler

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote