New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy, CZ 550 American
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a CZ 550 Am in 9.3x62. It shoots one hole groups all day long. My question is, are the CZ 550 Am's normally very accurate or did I just get lucky? I am going to purchase a 6.5x55 for my son this summer. The CZ is very high on my list for the 6.5. What do you think?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a CZ 550 in 6.5x55 for my youngest son last year. I had to do some minor clean up and polishing but I am very satisfied with this rifle. I haven't had the time to work up any custom loads yet, just another unfinished project at the moment. But I broke it in with S&B ammo and Remington commercial ammo, and had more than acceptable accuracy. Then after I broke it in I sighted it in on some Norma ammo, and it is a very good hunting rifle for my son.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used 9,3x62 CZ 550 American from a member in the Classified section of this site. Shoots 3/4" at 100 yards with hunting bullets.

Went to Africa with me last May and did beautifully!

Also have a .416 Rigby CZ550 on a Lux stock, but that one had a lot of smithing work done before I got it. It holds 1 1/4" at 200 yards.

Am tickled with the CZs for sure.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ550 American in 9.3x62 and with 286grn Barnes X it will group in 1" or less if I do my bit..Most CZ's I have come across generally seem to group in 1" or under..those would be small or medium bores as the big bores are not that common over here..

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a cz m550 american in 7x57, and love the hell out of it. when a good shooter is shooting it, it will shoot very good groups. even when i (read: NOT a good shooter) am shooting it, i can hit a 318-yard gong 7 out of 10 times. as far as accuracy is concerned, i couldn't be happier.

my only quasi-concern is the gorilla-snot finish on mine, but the wood underneath is very nice. one of these days, perhaps i will try re-finishing the stock.

i truly believe that when all factors are considered (including gun received for the money spent), the cz m550 is probably one of the ebst production rifles out there.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm and to be honest, it is the best rifle I have ever, bar-none, owned. I like to tinker a bit, so with mine, I took off the elephant snot finish, which was a pain in the butt because that stuff must be glued on, and refinished the stock with so many repititions of GB Lindspeed Oil that it would take no more. That is apply a coat, let dry, apply a second coat, let dry, steel wool with 0000 steel wool down to bare wood and that is one repitition. I did 12 repititions. I also glassbedded the action and freefloated the barrel so that that is no stress tension whatsoever when tightening down the action screws. I then had the bolt handle polished and the bolt body jewelled with the small herringbone pattern of jewelling. Next, I put Talley steel rings on it and a Leupold 4x12 scope and a custom El Paso Gun Exchange leather sling. This thing is beautiful and functional at the same time. With Hornady 162 grain bullets seated way, way out to within .025 inch or .01 inch off the lands, and loaded with 48.3 grains of H414 powder in Remington cases and a Federal 210 primer, that rifle will put three shots into less than one-half inch at 100 yards. The load is chronographed at 2,815 fps. My brother owns a CZ 550 Full Stock in 7x57mm and he refinished his stock and did the bolt polishing and jewelling, then put a Burris Fullfield II on it and with 160 grain Nosler Partitions seated out to .02 inch off the lands, and H414 powder, that rifle is a .75 inch grouping rifle. Duffy's buddy saw his full stock and got one for himself with CZ still had enough brains to offer the fullstock and American in 7x57mm, and with my handload of 162 grain Hornady SSTs seated .02 inch off the lands, that rifle will group .75 inch as well. There was no glass bedding of any kind done to the two full stock rifles either. In my usual long-winded way of answering questions, yes, the CZ 550s are accurate. Of course, you can get a lemmon, but I feel the lemmons are far and few between with this rifle. You just don't see that many complaints on the forums about them. My only complain is, the throats are so damn long on the euro cartridges with the CZ 550s. You can't take a Hornady 154 grain bullet and load it so the projectile will be anywhere near the lands and still have enough bullet shank to fit nicely in the case mouth. Even with my 162 grain Hornady SST loads, there isn't even a caliber's worth of bullet shank seated into the case (excluding, of course, the boattail cause that doesn't contact the case neck anyway). Sorry about the long wind folks. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote