THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    The .358 winnie verses the 9.3x57?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The .358 winnie verses the 9.3x57?
 Login/Join

<leo>
posted
The bore diameters are close enough for comparsion so how do they compare considering the .358 in either the short or standard lenglth action(for bullet seating depth? Kinda like the .35 whelan AI verses the 9.3x62 mauser?

<eldeguello>
posted
The 57mm case will hold a little more powder, and the 9.3 is a little bigger around, so one should be able to get slightly higher velocities from the 9.3X57 than from the .358 Win., if bullets of comparable weights are used. However, in this country there are a lot more .358" bullets to choose from, so the .358 could be loaded to cover a broader range of game. I believe, all things considered, that it would be a tossup between these two.

<Don Martin29>
posted
The .358 Win is a short action cartridge. Put a .358 bbl on a long action and you might as well select a longer cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt highly that the game would be able to distinguish between the two cartridges. The .358 Win is probably the most efficient short action cartridge ever developed. If were using a short action or a 99, it is the perfect choice. The 9.3x57 would be my choice in a Kurz mauser or rebarreling an 1908 or 1910 mannlicher-schoenauer. In a standard length mauser, you would obviously be better served with a 62 or 63 mm cartridge. In this day and age, the availablilty of any case or bullet is no longer an issue. If the US Mail comes to your house, the components are available.

------------------

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
It's a shame that in this day and time of the almighty super long-range, high-speed magnum that these two excellent moderate range thumpers aren't more popular. Actually with lighter bullets with still reasonable SDs they can make the 300 yard class. Lets face it, they are both perfect for those handy carbines and I guess I'll be a true carbine lover from now on.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
leo,

I consider the 358 win w/ a 225 gr @ 2500 fps to be the ideal NA hunting round. It has enough speed for the range 95% of the game is taken, and is more gun then the small bores.

The problem is, the damned gun writers have given the 35 caliber the moniker of a woods gun, which simply doesn't sell in this counry. Folks that shoot once a year want to believe they are 300-400 yd shots, so they gobble up the 7 and 30 mags.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H. AMEN brother. I don't know if it's still available, but there is a great article on the .358 Win. on Sixgunner.com by Paco Kelly. I haven't tried to go where he has gone with the round, but only because I've been tied up with other projects. E-mail me and I can pass on acast bullet made by a cusrom mold maker. casts out to 270 gr. in wheelweights and looks almost exactly like Lyman's old #3589. Some of us got together on another forum and had it made up. We call it #3589I (for improved) I just ran a fer up, but I haven't loaded and shot them yet. They do look good.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 358 in a pre 64 Win. Fwt and a better deer rifle has yet to come along. If I draw a Col. rifle tag for Elk this will be the rifle I take.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
358 Win. is the ,ost under rated cartridge around. I have one built on a Rem 721 with a 24" Shilen SS barrel for the sole purpose of being able to have it custom throated with the 225 Partition. This cartridge will do 2500+ with AA2015 and the 225 Partition in a 24" barrel. And when I get tired of the 358 Win, it can be rechambered to 35 Whelen. But that might be a cold day in hell because the 358 just keeps plugging along as it. It is a genuine 200-250 yard cartridge with a good 225 or 250 grain bullet.

------------------
AlleninAlaska

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And let's not forget the fine old 9,5 x 57 Mannlicher-Sch�nauer, aka .375 Rigby.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote