Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 and the TSX
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
Well after hearing all the tales of the TSX bullet I finally got around to trying them. I loaded the 140 gr. behind RL19, various weights up to 49 gr. Didn't run the chrony today but the 48 gr. load was .675 center to center for three shots, and the 49 gr. load pretty close.

This desrves a little carefull load development. Next week I'll load up 10 of each and check velocities.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been loading them with H414 since they first became available. My loads group about the same as yours day after day after day out of my old worn out Ruger and a $259 Charles Daly. If yours is long throated, you should be able to load quite a lot more powder at least 52 grains for 2950 fps or so. Your loads would be really slow in mine, probably not over 2750 fps, years ago I had another pair of 7x57's at the same time, shot 4350 with 140's, they went 2900 and 2825, the second was a 20 in. barrelled Mannlicher Schoenauer. When I shot some of my old reloads in the Ruger, they went 2675, that's quite a bit of difference. Another big thing with the 7x57 is the brand of case. A R-P takes at least 1-1.5 grains less powder than a Win.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes, I am shooting R-P cases by the way.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the amount of RL19 you are using, I would have bet money you were using R-P brass. There is more difference between these and the W-W than normal. I had some Win. brass I was dropping 52 grains of H414 into, had one Remington case mixed in with them, the Win. was about where the bottom of the bullet would have been when seated, the Rem. was about 1/10 of an inch from the case mouth. I'm not sure the ball powder would have compressed enough to allow you to seat a bullet on that much powder in a Rem. case. I took a pic of the two cases and was going to post them on here just so people could visualize the difference in loading data between the two, but decided the pictures weren't good enough to work properly. Have fun with my main everyday using cartridge.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote