THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    300 Win Mag & 338 Win mag -- Problems with belt case expansion

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag & 338 Win mag -- Problems with belt case expansion
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I completed a google search on the 300 win mag and came up with a website that claims the following about belted mags:

quote:
The main problem with handloading the 300 Win Mag is case expansion that occurs at the pressure ring "just above" the belt. Conventional resizing dies can't properly resize any belted magnum case in this area. These cases soon develop a slight "bulge" around the case (usually after just 2 or 3 firings). When that happens, these cases will begin to stick in your chamber or they will fail to chamber at all. This is a very common symptom when reloading belted magnum calibers.

Have any of you experienced this problem before?

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianLefty:
I completed a google search on the 300 win mag and came up with a website that claims the following about belted mags:

quote:
The main problem with handloading the 300 Win Mag is case expansion that occurs at the pressure ring "just above" the belt. Conventional resizing dies can't properly resize any belted magnum case in this area. These cases soon develop a slight "bulge" around the case (usually after just 2 or 3 firings). When that happens, these cases will begin to stick in your chamber or they will fail to chamber at all. This is a very common symptom when reloading belted magnum calibers.

Have any of you experienced this problem before?

Never.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'ld only have that problem if you were loading at 75-90,000 psi. The only real problem that belted mags have are the in the screwed up imagination of people that don't reload them.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
That was very well put!

I've been reloading belted magnums since 1977, and I have never had a single problem that is belt-related. Two reasons why I haven't had problems: 1) I don't try for every last bit of velocity that is possible. 2) I partially resize the case so that it headspaces on the shoulder, not the belt.

I noticed that the gunwriters never talked about problems related to belted cases until Dakota came along with its own line of beltless cartridges to sell.

Winchester never mentioned problems associated with its own belted magnums until they came up with the WSM series.

Remington never did either until they introduced their own RUM series of cartridges. In fact, I spoke to a Remington rep at a sporst show one time who was busy denouncing belted cases, and promoting beltless ones (specifically RUMS) to all who would listen. I asked this man if that big, bad, problematic, supposedly defective, belted case had ever effected the performance or sellability of their own fine 7mm Rem. Mag.? That question brought forth a few chuckles from some of the other visitors to that booth, a dirty look from the Remington stooge, but no verbal answer. I wasn't surprised..........

Is there a thread of commonality here, hidden amoungst the fog, smoke, mirrors, and double-talk, and the testimony of assorted pimps?

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's just more drivel from this guy:

http://www.larrywillis.com/

and his "unique Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die".

I think this die was a topic of discussion on here a couple of years ago or so. The consensus seemed to be that this special die was a solution to a non-existent problem.

CanadianLefty's quote was probably taken from this page:

http://www.larrywillis.com/300winmag.html

"The main problem with handloading the 300 Win Mag is case expansion that occurs at the pressure ring "just above" the belt. Conventional resizing dies can't properly resize any belted magnum case in this area. These cases soon develop a slight "bulge" around the case (usually after just 2 or 3 firings). When that happens, these cases will begin to stick in your chamber or they will fail to chamber at all. This is a very common symptom when reloading belted magnum calibers. Handloading the 300 Win Mag with our Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die will increase the life of your cases and insure a perfect fit in your chamber."

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Personally, I have no place in my battery (anymore) for belted cases or any of these new ultra-whatever mags, but I must agree that the source quoted makes little sense. To get casehead expansion of that order would require significant over pressures, but such pressure would create havoc with beltless cases just as easily. I would think that the author would be better off parroting the old "case head separation in a few firings" argument, which is more plausible in the presence of a mis-informed reloader. The only real "problems," if you can call them that, with the belt is that it is superfluous for headspacing (on most, but not all belted cases) and it takes up a bit more mag room. Some claim feeding complications, but I don' think that amounts to much either.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
It's just more drivel from this guy:...

Yup, that is where I got the info- I just didn't want to bring any attention to his website. I wanted to hear from you guys first.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading belted cases since Jan. 1968, for scores of rifles and thousands of rounds, maybe tens of thousands. This is bullshit as I have practice Win. cases that are close to ten loadings with maxed loads of both 4350 and Re-22 and they still are perfect.

There is a lot of bullshit out there from assholes who have NO realtime experience with big guns, big wilderness or big game; this crap ranks up there with the "blow-ups" of P-64 Mod. 70s, the inaccuracy of Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbines and the superiority of the Rem 700 as a big game rifle.

I have NEVER experienced this problem as I set my dies to just a touch of crush fit and keep one set of dies per rifle. That Willis die won't do shit, anyway, using it would actually INCREASE the chance of a "casehead" separation.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kute,

Any sign of spring out there? It's 12 F here and we just got another 6" of snow. Grr.

Belts on centerfire cartridges are a troublesome apendage of no worth if the case is bottlenecked. This results in the shoulder blowing forward. If one is an astute reloader it can be delt with.

As to the device that "Innovative" makes I have seen no need for it. However about a year ago some member was loading up Weatherby rounds for a customer and making them fit more than one rifle. He seem to feel that the device was necessary.

I did not agree but I was not there. As others said above the loads may have been excessive.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that will happen:

In sloppy chambers

When loaded too hot

When the handloader doesn't know squat..

Otherwise his statement is foolish to say the least....

Under the same circumstances the 06, 270 and many other non belted rounds will do the same thing....surprise, surprise...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have not had any problems with a bulge ahead of the belt. I also headspace of the shoulder too.

I always thought that a case might be more likely to seperate in front of the belt but have not had it happen yet. Roll Eyes

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ranks up there with the "blow-ups" of P-64 Mod. 70s, the inaccuracy of Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbines and the superiority of the Rem 700 as a big game rifle.

Miss a few days and the kute goes back to his strengths - foolish statements and vulgarity.

The $100 die to reduce the Pressure Ring ahead of the Belt on Belted Cases has extremely limited use. Occasionally you will see someone mention they have a use for it on the Reloading Board. I believe "Kraky" has one and it did what it is designed to do. But, the vast majority of folks with Belted Mags (99.8% is my guess) will never have the need for it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
ranks up there with the "blow-ups" of P-64 Mod. 70s, the inaccuracy of Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbines and the superiority of the Rem 700 as a big game rifle.

Miss a few days and the kute goes back to his strengths - foolish statements and vulgarity.

The $100 die to reduce the Pressure Ring ahead of the Belt on Belted Cases has extremely limited use. Occasionally you will see someone mention they have a use for it on the Reloading Board. I believe "Kraky" has one and it did what it is designed to do. But, the vast majority of folks with Belted Mags (99.8% is my guess) will never have the need for it.

I agree with Kute on this and I feel the same way that he does. My guess the cause is cabin fever.

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage, it is spring here although "spring" in B.C. is a relative term, there is still lots of snow around in the interior, but, it's been a fairly mild winter without much of the -20 to -40 and worse that we usually have. It's getting close to Grizzly hunting time and a buddy has drawn on the north coast, close to the Alaska border, so he asked me if I would go along as I used to live alone in the bush there and know a bit about Grizzlies, this should be an enjoyable trip.

Geez, HotCore, you were actually quite civilized here a couple of weeks ago; what may I ask is "vulgar" in my previous post? While you are at it, maybe you can tell us what your personal experience with BIG game hunting is, I would welcome the opportunity to learn from a wilderness expert such as you seem to be. I guess my 49 yrs. of actual experience in western Canadian wilderness areas would pale beside your expertise, eh?

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm betting that this quote came from the company that makes the collect type die to resize the area just above the belt.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I have had that problem but I do not reload. It's a Remington 700 ADL in .300 WIN MAG. Sometimes after the gun is fired, the bolt handle will not pull back and the case will not eject. After alot of force is applied, the case will come out. The next shell goes in fine, but the used brass will not and it does seem to be tight at the base above the belt. Again, I do not reload, but it sounds like the chamber may be sloppy. I am wide open to advice or suggestions.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA DEER HUNTER:
I have had that problem but I do not reload. It's a Remington 700 ADL in .300 WIN MAG. Sometimes after the gun is fired, the bolt handle will not pull back and the case will not eject. After alot of force is applied, the case will come out. The next shell goes in fine, but the used brass will not and it does seem to be tight at the base above the belt. Again, I do not reload, but it sounds like the chamber may be sloppy. I am wide open to advice or suggestions.
It might be that you have somehow managed to get a light coat of rust in your chamber. You can try removing it with a Bore Mop full of JB Compound, Semi-Chrome or Puma Metal Polish.

If you had any Casehead Separations or case splits(unlikely with new factory ammo) then the Chamber could have been cut out(a concave spot where the blow-torch effect occurred) and when a cartridge is fired, it expands to fill that small spot. Then it doesn't relax enough to allow easy removal. A good inspection the entrie length of a fresh fired case should indicate any "shiny" spots which would indicate this as a possibility.

Perhaps a "bristle" from a Bore Brush has been trapped and flattened in either the Neck or Body area of the case against the Chamber and is stuck there. Here a good scrubbing with a 44cal brush rotated by hand inside the chamber might clear the problem.

A problem many of the semi-auto rifles have is simple trash build up in the chamber. They are typically cleaned from the muzzle and as the brush enters the chamber, trash is flung on the chamber as the bristles spring out. Same could be happening in a bolt action rifle "if" the Chamber is not cleaned at the same time as the Bore.

Not saying you don't have a dimensional Chamber problem, but they are much less common than some folks would lead you to believe. If it is actually bad, you should be able to determine it by just checking how "round" the Pressure Ring is with a pair of 0.0001" capable Micrometers. The 0.001" capable Calipers are not accurate enough for this.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Kute,

Any sign of spring out there? It's 12 F here and we just got another 6" of snow. Grr.

It is going to be a blustery 70 degree F here in NE Texas. It frosted yesterday morning then made it all the way to 75 F. Spring has sprung, the bermuda grass is greening, and the trees are breaking bud; however, the pecan trees haven't budded out yet and that is the true sign that winter is over.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redlander:
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Kute,

It is going to be a blustery 70 degree F here in NE Texas. It frosted yesterday morning then made it all the way to 75 F. Spring has sprung, the bermuda grass is greening, and the trees are breaking bud; however, the pecan trees haven't budded out yet and that is the true sign that winter is over.

Go ahead and rub it in. It snowed another 6" last night and the tank on the snowblower is low so I have to fill it for another round. I predicted an early spring too!

Overheard in a gunshop in Pearl City, HI. "I am going to load up some tonight and go to the range tommorrow if the weather holds"

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never experienced that situation.Most of my cases are reloaded 5 or more times with no such problems.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote