THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Re: Please help to decide on between these rifles.....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Please help to decide on between these rifles.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted
The Weatherby Ultra Light is a very nice gun. I had one in 300 Weatherby, that's it right there to the left in the Bear picture. I sold it because of the recoil, KAWHAM If I was to get another, I'd go with one chambered in standard cartridges. 30-06 or the 270. You would really due just as well with the synthetic model they sell. A lot cheaper and still a nice rifle. My personal tastes for magnums begin at the 300 level and go up. For me, anything smaller can be accomplished by standard cartridges, unless you are talking about super flat shooting 7mm's. But, I live in the west and have never needed one. The one magnum that is under the 30 caliber threshold that interests me is the 270 Weatherby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of those mentioned I would take the Sako 75.

But I would prefer a win M70 or a CZ 550.

Do you have to have the calibres mentioned ??

I reckon a cz 550 in 7x57 would also be alright, just a suggestion.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find and buy a NIB Remington Classic in 7-08. It was made in the last few years. Take it to a smith and have him hone and adjust the trigger down to about 3# and glass bed it. Should cost you less than $200. Free float it or not, you decide after you have shot it. Forget the rest of the bullshit about what "must be done" and ignore the folks that think it makes them appear knowledgeable to make vague judgments about Remingtons even tho most of them have never owned one. I have the exact rifle I described -I did the work myself- and it will kill any deer walking, and, if it were my only rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to take it elk hunting. I have won several factory hunter matches with that rifle. The same calibre in a model 7 with a 1.5x5 scope is my favorite walk around rifle here in WV. The classic for last year was a .300savage and for next year it is reported to be a 8x57 if you want a more classic round.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the Kimber stainless/synthetic(Montana isn't it) in .308 winnie and never look back. It's a solid 300 yard caliber for deer and elk depending on the bullet type and weight. Don't let anyone fool you, the mags in light rifles will kick hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your parameters are not to my taste but I can say that even though I'm not a Sako fan I'd echo Packrat's suggestion of the Sako 75 in 30-06...the 06 part being the most important. If forced to chose between those you listed I'd opt for the weatherby in 270 wby. In my view the best of the very long distance shooters you listed.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 270 weatherby mag in a weatherby vanguard VGX and I love it. It is a great deer round and you could use it out west for elk without any problems at all. Its a very versital round that is way underrated. Go with the 270 weatherby and have a lot of fun.

Brian

Posts: 119 | Location: NJ | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for all the input. I am open to any caliber and I am re-thinking the magnums. For now, can we just compare the rifles and the quality of them. How does the custom shop mountain rifle compare to the Weatherby Ultralight? Thanks!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My views on this topic have changed in recent years. I finally got tired of firing rifles that risked turning
me into a spastic cripple. The largest animal I hunt is moose. There are as many of them here as deer.
I used to use a 7mm Rem. Mag. It had a 24" barrel and weighed over 8lbs. so it wasn't bad to shoot, but it
occasionally passed through the animal and left me with a wounded deer or moose to track. In recent years
I settled on a 6.5x55. It's quite the good killer. Having a somewhat slower velocity, it enters the animal
and does almost all its damage in the boiler room which is exactly what I want. It may run after being hit,
but never very far. Moose and deer, hit well with a 160gr bullet, fold up pretty rapidly, and leave me a
much happier camper so to speak. I imagine you could say the same thing for the .260Rem. or 7mm/08.
We're the most overgunned hunters in the world, and there's really not much need for it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were you I would take the Remington Custom (if you have a three position safety installed) in the STW, or the Dakota in 7mm STW. That Weatherby 7 mag is extremely hard for me to pass up, having shot it for a good buddy I load for, and getting excelleny accuracy and speed with it. I own a STW and .300 Win mag and shoot them extensively. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote