New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Win Mag which bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your going to use a 338 use the best SD bullet weight for the caliber and that is 250 grains, if you use a 225 grain bullet you my as well take a 300 and use 200 grain bullets it will have better SD and get better penetration than the 225's in the 338. As far as the bullets go any of the 250 grain bullets you listed will be great IMO especially the Swifts and the Nosler partitions.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
quote:
Originally posted by ldkier:
Sure wish SPEER would make the .338 275gr semi spitzer again. They were fantastic for the .338 Winchester.

Yes they were a GREAT bullet in a .338... That is the bullet i chose to keep in my .338 when doing "follow up's" on big brown bears. Expecially in the heavy alders and tall grass of Kodiak and the Alaska Peninsula, back when i was doing that kind of thing all the time.

I've had no problem shooting corner to corner on big bears, with the bullet exiting, and they gave good expansion going through too...

The 225 and 250 grain Hornandys i used, would NOT penetrate deeply enopugh for me, coming apart, same with the 250 Sierra's... 250 Gran Slams were only a little better, and i quit using them too...

So, it was 275 Speers, or 250 NP's for me...

DM

Looks like you are in luck.

Here are Swift A-Frame 275 gr bullets at Cabelas right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...ue&_requestid=120687

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Swift 275 gr , The Barnes TSX in 250 gr , the Kodiak Bonded Core 275 gr ,from Alaska Bullet Works .. That is the 338 bullet I have the most experience with and it is great , the KBC ... 4831 will push it out of the 22" barrel on one of my 338s @ 2620 fps with only 20 fps variation . velocity taken @ 15 feet not corrected to muzzle velocity ....3/4 " groups and sometimes 1/2" groups from factory Ruger 77 MK II stainless ..... Pretty much a do it all load .... About as close to equaling the 375 H&H as I ever found in the 338 caliber .... I havn't tried the 250 X or TSX yet .......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
To 338User - I tried, AA-4350, IMR 4831, and RL-19, none of which would give me any accuracy and except for the RL-19 none of the other would give me any velocity to speak of. This particular rifle seems to only like RL-22 with 225 gr. bullets. It shoots 225 gr. Horn. I-locks and Nosler Accubonds pretty well. I intend to shoot some Remington UltraBonds (I believe they are called) through it and see how they group.

Interestingly enough I get best accuracy with AR2209 and 225gn bullets, and best accuracy with Reloader 22 with 250gn bullets. I guess every rifle is different.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Mcdonald, I have no idea where they are getting them, but my local gunshop has the Speer 275g 338s. Pm me if you want them.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aliveincc, Thanks for the info, but my rifle shoots 275 swift a-frames the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drunk englishmen have been killing everything for the last 100 yrs with the 303.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 225 Nosler Accubonds--same difference, really, with fantastic results!
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I don't know what percentage of the time the monometal (Barnes) bullets fail to expand and simply "pencil" through, but it is frequent enough that many people have experienced it.

I have used the 225 Nosler Partition on elk and on African plains game ranging from springbok to kudu and zebra. It has worked flawlessly. The 250 would also work fine, but if you want a little advantage in trajectory for the longer shots (as do I), then the 225 NP is a very adequate alternative.

I've never hunted them, but leopards are very light-framed animals that are better hunted with a quick-opening bullet. The Nosler Partition should be much better in this instance than a monometal, even when the monometal performs as designed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marianne, my favorite of girls names, and shoots a 338 also. GOD bless.