New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 742 Carbine info
 Login/Join

<Glock Guy>
posted
I just bought a used 742 carbine Rem the other day in great condition don't know what the hell I will use it for,perhaps groundhogs.Is there any one else out there who has one and could give me their opinion on this rifle?And do they make high capacity clips for the Rem 742? [Wink]

[ 08-10-2002, 03:27: Message edited by: Glock Guy ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose it's a 06 or a 308 eh?

Neat lil gun wish I could find one in good shape.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in upstate NY for 10 yrs.with a Rem 760, the pump version of your rifle. Two of my hunting buddies used 742's. They need to be kept clean, neither friend did, so they did jam. Years ago I saw 10 round magazines for them, not sure if they are still made.
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked one up in 30-06 as a present for one of my brothers in law. He cleans his regularly, so no problems with it so far (10 years). 10 round mags are still avialable as far as I know, I see them once in a while at gun shops, these are the plastic ones. I have no idea how good or bad the magazines work. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
I have an old 742 carbine in .308 that shoots really good. It has Ramline black stock and foreend and a Leupold Compact 2.8-7 with med. extension rings. Just sighted in with Norma Oryx 180 gr. and should be a deer slayer again this year. Enjoy that gun!

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a lot of 742 stop working because the in side of the action starts to chip away leaving sharp edges for the bolt to catch one seems to happen around the 300 to 400 round mark. So If you have one and don't shoot it a lot they well last if you plan on shooting it a lot. They well break up on you.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forget those 742/7400!!!!

I sold mine. POI is changeing as forearm screw tension is changed. I keep my guns religiously clean. Chamber, too. After the 20th round gun might jam, reloaded ammo or factory!!

Its that $+*'##� Rem extractor.

I could write a book about my efforts on that gun, as its one of the few semi autos allowed in Europe ...

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and uncle and a cousin who shoot nothing else. They seem fairly dependable in functioning with factory ammunition. They also shoot within about a 15 minute arc of where they are pointed. When sighting them in, you expect a "pattern" rather than a group. Four inches at a hundred yards is about par for the course. However, since most deer are shot at 50 yards and under, and a deer's vital area is at least 8" in diameter, they've killed a lot of deer. All in all, I'd greatly prefer the 742 to most slug guns.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<jinglebob>
posted
[Mad] SLANDER !!!! [Mad]

I bought my 742/.30/06 in 1976. $40.00 Tasco 3-9, in see-through mounts. 10 years factory ammo--

Results--MANY dead deer, one lost to a bad hit (my fault, not gun's) a few misses (my fault)
NO jams or mechanical problems. [Smile]

Started handloading in 1986. [Cool] Favorite load using max. charge of IMR-4350, 150 gr Ballistic tip--
never a single group over 1.5", most @1.2 to 1.3", best 1.1". [Big Grin] Many dead hogs, coyotes,
LARGE numbers deer (South Alabama, theoretical maximum season limit 327 deer per year). Still as good as ever, no "chips" or peening as referred to on other boards. Still NO JAMS OR MECHANICAL PROBLEMS !! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
These guns seem to be hit or miss.Many work well for many years while others jam or misfeed regularly.Accuracy is the same as some are quite acceptable and some are awful.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<WSJ>
posted
Glock Guy: I was in a gun shop in the Binghamton, NY, area (might have been in Endicott; at any rate in was in that vicinitiy) a year or so back. He had a number of old high capacity and factory magazines for 742's in 30-06/270 size. I've got a 742 in 243 and he had none of those, unfortunately. I've no idea why I'd want another high capacity magazine since I rarely shoot the old gun and have never even used the one big magazine I bought years ago. Maybe it's just because they don't make them any more

You might check the Binghamton area yellow pages or look on the web if you're interested. I recall that the prices were petty reasonable. I might still have the fellow's business card. If I can locate it I'll let you know. -WSJ

<Old Timer>
posted
Can anyone tell me what is the different between a 742 Carbine and a new 7400 carbine???
I have an opportunity to buy a new from a dealer 7400 3006 carbine for $450.00 in your opinion would this be a good by?/ I am not going to load for it and it will be used a a woods rifle in Wisconsin, thanks for your reply
Old Timer

<Old Timer>
posted
Clock Guy,
You can buy the 10 shot clip through "Midsouth Shooters supply 800-272-3000 or order on line I believe they sold them for 19.99 each.
I am still trying to make up my mind as to buying one for myself.
Old Timer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 742. My impression is as follows:

ACCURACY: Fair at best. Some will shoot 1.5 inch groups and most shoot 2.5-3 inch groups at 100 yards. Be sure there is some gap between the forearm and the receiver or the gun will be very erratic.

RELIABILITY: Fair. They work well for a while then seize up. I have seen it more than once.

CLIPS: The high cap mags are not very durable. I stuck with the factory mags.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had two and an earlier model the 740. No functioning problems period. I lubricate the inside of the action behind the action bars, where the trigger disconnect bar hits the right action bar and the locking lug recesses by waxing these areas with Turtle wax, letting it dry and wiping the excess off. I found that using oil just attracts and holds powder residue, wax doesn't. Two coats is all you need and you will be surprised how much easier your action cycles. Make sure and remove all oil first. The 740 was a 244 remington and it would shoot barely into 2 inches, the 742's were both 30-06's and would easily shoot near 1 1/2 inches with 180 grain Remington factory loads.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Metal ten rounders are from TripleK: fair chance, will work with FMJ bullets, lips have to be adjusted and/or bent and polished.

Also from USA mags: no testing possible, as mag would not fit into mag well!! Tested this with three different mags!!

Plastic from Millet or Eagle: seem to be the same. Finest feeding mag available. Will function for some shots, then at any inconvinient time welding will spread ever so slightly apart at top, from then on will dependably double feed ...

Get Rem factory mags.

Powder: 4350 will work, but is borderline of too slow. 4064 or 2520 recommended.

What this rifle needs are:

better extractor

a bolt hold open device that is not part of the mag

a free floated barrel or at least a better solution of hanging the forearm, so tension changes won�t affect accuracy

a gas regulating device

A BETTER TRIGGER

Hermann

would someone please forward this to Remington ...

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
I had one in 30-06,it shot groups at 100yds. somewhere in the 8" ranges.And I bought it brand new.It didn't jam on me but I never had it long since it shot so poorly I got rid of it.