Find
Notify
Tools

35-340 Weatherby mag ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of moki
posted
I'm inheriting a never fired s/s Sako V with a 25.5" Douglas barrel, chambered in the wildcat 35-340 Weatherby mag rifle from my Grandfather.

Does anybody have any experiences/load data/info with this catridge?

Thanks
Cam

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try to find data for the .358STA wildcat developed by Layne Simpson and, using starting loads for it, work up your load. I suggest tring to find a STA case,ie, maybe necking up a 7STW case and filling it precisely to the top with a fine grained pistol powder, then weighing this. Then, repeat this step with your .35-340 case and note the difference, if any. The difference between the two-and I have NO idea what it might be-would give you the adjustment, if necessary, in your starting loads from STA date....go slowly and VERY carefully as wildcat chambers are a real, potential minefield. Remember that the types of powders used in this size of case can give detonations if you use to light a starting load, I suggest H-4350 as a probable good starting powder.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The A-square manual any shot you want has data for the 358 STA, there might be some other published data as well. There are a few folks here who shoot 358 STA's, so they will hopefully pipe in.

As Kutenay said, the 35-340 won't be identical, but it will be close.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In addition to using .358 STA data as a guide, if you will simply use the data for the same weight bullet in the .340 Weatherby you should be safe since the greater expansion ratio of the .358 bore should give similar velocities with slightly less pressure than the .338 bore.

In other words, the same amount of the same powder should propel a 250 grain bullet at about the same speed in either cartridge. But if you don't have any experience in working up loads, be sure to consult with someone who does before diving off the deep end. A chronograph is essential to a project like this.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Serious recoil is coming your way... quickly!

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBabcock:
Serious recoil is coming your way... quickly!

Your from Auborn....

I graduated from Auburn Adventist Academy in 1977.

I've been shooting a 300 RUM with 180gr Scirroco's @ 3380fps or 200gr A-Frames @ 3200fps and a 375 RUM with 260gr Accubonds @ 3000fps and 300gr Partitions @ 2750fps so am used to heavy recoil.

I'm thinking a 225gr Swift A-Frame or Partition would give me an absolutly perfect middle bore load.

I just need to get the rifle, then the dies and bullet components to start working with this data that people are sharing.

Thanks

Cam

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Glad to meet you, I graduated from Thomas Jefferson in '79. I worked at the Auburn Safeway, both of them, when I was in school, so maybe I bumped into you once or twice.

I owned a 340 Weatherby, it was the most vicious recoiling rifle I've ever shot. I try not to subject myself to any more recoil than I really need. But good luck to you and your quest for loading data. Try here...

http://www.reloadersnest.com/rifle.asp

maybe there's something you can use as a guide.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moki ---- Your rifle will be very close to the .358 STA. I shoot two STA's and a .340. You will be very impressed with what that case capacity in the .358 caliber will do. Whatever you do, try the North Fork bullets, they come in 225, 250 and 270 grains in the .358 bullet. I have used all the premiums including Barnes, Nosler, Swift, Kodiak, and use the Sierra gameking for plunking and fireforming. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moki, that case is best utilized with 250g and up bullet weights. You will probably find it handles the 300g Woodleighs quite well even.
The A-Frame is good. The North Forks are incredibly uniform, and might go a little faster with the same pressure. But they are pricey. Not like the Noslers or Swifts will do you wrong. But if I were you (and with a 358-404 wildcat, I sorta am!) I would focus on bigger bullets (280g Swift for me) and juts plink with the little guys. That gun isn't exactly the "ideal" whitetail cartidge, you see....

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote