New
Find
Notify
Tools

what barrel for 9.3?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am putting together a 9.3x64 brenneke on a pre-64 M70 30-06. I know I'll need to open the bolt face to some degree and put on a new barrel (12' twist at 26' long would be ideal I think). Looking at barrels, I've noticed that Douglas only carries the big basic barrels in .366. I was wondering if you all had any recs for 9.3 barrels. I know that Kreiger has them, but I don't know anything about them. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Douglas turned my to the contour I wanted. Didn't seem to be a problem. A 22" #4 gave me an 8.5 pound rifle with a 1.8-5.5 Zeiss Conquest, a cheap Fajen's synthetic stock, and an M60 sling. Was a budget build on a VZ.24 action with Timney Trigger and Timney Beuhler style safety. Shoots 250 Woodleighs to less than an inch at 100 yards.

I think the CZ American bbl is more slender.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Danny Pederson at cutrifle, his work is compared to the best of barrel makers.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym

Posts: 88 | Location: Prince Rupert BC | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Douglas turned my to the contour I wanted. Didn't seem to be a problem. A 22" #4 gave me an 8.5 pound rifle with a 1.8-5.5 Zeiss Conquest, a cheap Fajen's synthetic stock, and an M60 sling. Was a budget build on a VZ.24 action with Timney Trigger and Timney Beuhler style safety. Shoots 250 Woodleighs to less than an inch at 100 yards.

I think the CZ American bbl is more slender.

What sort of velocity are you getting out of your 22' barrel with max loads on your 286 grainers?

The barrel you have sounds ideal, I just didn't see it on their chamberings listed at midway. I'll have to call them directly.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lothar Walther barrels are the best barrels made today IMO...They just shoot littlel tiny groups.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krieger makes an excellent barrel. They use the single-cut rifling method. I like Pac-Nor as well. You'll have a little wait for either.

Posts: 354 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a montana rifleman barrel on my 9.3x62. I believe a #5 contour. My 'smith tells me they were very easy to work with; provided what I would describe as a partially chambered barrel ready for installation which he had only to screw in and set the head space on. This barrel will really, really shoot, and I'd recommend them without reservation. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Montana Rifleman 9.3. Have a MK X with such a barrel, shoots 1 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100 with an old Lyman 57. Haven t put a scope on it or gone past the current 250 Nosler BTs I have loaded. I m having too much fun.

Estacado

Posts: 23 | Location: NC | Registered: 24 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 9.3x64 sports a Lothar Walter barrel, and shoots well.

Tasso

Posts: 70 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Had a Shilen barrel installed on my Vz-24. It was a 24" magnum sporter contour. Overall the rifle with 4X scope weighs in at 8.75 Lbs and handles great! Reloads go 2,380 fps with my 286 NPT reload.

You won't be going wrong with a Shilen barrel.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The Lothar Walther barrels are the best barrels made today IMO...They just shoot littlel tiny groups.

thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with PacNor, Shilen and Hart. PacNor will cut you a barrel with the same contour as the original so it drops into the stock with no modification. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
"will cut you a barrel with the same contour as the original so it drops into the stock with no modification"

Douglas will do this also, as most anyone else I presume.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19321 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've used all of the above and many more and call me lucky but they have all worked well.

I would be tempted to send your Mod 70 barrel to a good reborer and have it rechambered. That assumed the rifle is in good condition, of course. then you have a new barrel perfectly inletted to your stock and a fine looking 9.3 x 64 to boot...

Danny Pedersen reamed a Model 30 30-06 barrel to 9.3 for me in late 2007 for about $200; far less that a custom contour new barrel from anyone.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have used several Lothar Walter 9.3 barrels & all of them are extremly accurate.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can also recommend Lothar Walther barrels. I recently put one on a 458 WM and it shoots + or - 1 MOA with multiple loads from 300gr to 550gr. The will also pre-thread and chamber for you at a reasonable cost. Woody is a great guy to deal with as well.

TMc

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have a Walther. It's in 9.3x62 and on the Winchester factory sporter profile.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote