Find
Notify
Tools

8x68
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,

I've decided I need a new rifle ( can never have too many) and I'm particularly fond of the 8x68S cartridge. Since I don't really like the style of the modern European rifles I'm going to have to go the custom route and herein my dilemma lies. I've got a Ruger M77 MkII in 7mm Rem Mag that I don't have any use for and was wondering if you guys think that it will be a suitable action to base the rifle on?

Will there be much work required to convert it or is it a simple job?

Also any thoughts on the 8x68? It's sort of common here with factory ammo and brass being readily available in good quantities at good prices which is a big plus this side of the pond.

Regards
MD

Posts: 389 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The case is 67.5 mm in length the case head is 13 mm round and too small for the Rem Mag sized bolt face. You'll need an 06 bolt face donor action.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.

I've also got a ZKK602 in 375 H&H that I have no use for. Will that work better?
The reason I didn't consider it my first choice was that I'm having a hard time locating a trigger for it. The standard trigger is very poor. Any recommendations on how to overcome the problem?

Posts: 389 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
Thanks for the reply.

I've also got a ZKK602 in 375 H&H that I have no use for. Will that work better?
The reason I didn't consider it my first choice was that I'm having a hard time locating a trigger for it. The standard trigger is very poor. Any recommendations on how to overcome the problem?

The 7mm and 375 have the same bolt faces. As for the Brno set trigger, just keep hoping something turns up.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a really neat cartridge. It should be fine for anything except the Big (gest) Three in Africa, or anywhere else.

I am building it's little brother, the 6,5x68S.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
That is a really neat cartridge. It should be fine for anything except the Big (gest) Three in Africa, or anywhere else.

I am building it's little brother, the 6,5x68S.

The 6.5x68 had also interested me but in the end I went with the .257 Weatherby. Since I do not reload, and factory ammo was only by special order I chose the weatherby. Let me know how your 6.5 turns out

Cheers
MD

one of us
posted Hide Post
MD375 I have a couple 8mm rifles. My first 8x68S was a Brno 602. Shot very well but a little heavy. Picked up a Lothar Walther barrel and built a rifle on a new Charles Daly stamped 98 action. Much nicer to hunt with.It feeds so smooth. Case capacity is the same as an 8mm-338 that I have and these two rifles shoot the same load to almost the identical velocity and they are within 100 fps of a stock 8mm REm Mag with handloads. All 3 rifles shoot the the 200 gr partition and the 200 gr TSX bullets well. I have taken elk and moose with both of those bullets and they would be my choice in any 8mm mag rifle.
I also have a Voere made rifle in the 6.5x68 calibre. There is no "S" associated with this calibre as there is with the 8x68S. The "S" denotes a .323 " bore rather than the earlier .318" bore. RWS Case capacity is very close to the capacity of the 264 Win Mag. Ballistics are also very close. To obtain top velocities I think you would need a 26 inch or longer barrel. My Voere rifle has a 24 in barrel and velocities are nothing special. I think I would build something that brass was easier to obtain in 6.5 cal.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
MD375 I have a couple 8mm rifles. My first 8x68S was a Brno 602. Shot very well but a little heavy. Picked up a Lothar Walther barrel and built a rifle on a new Charles Daly stamped 98 action. Much nicer to hunt with.It feeds so smooth. Case capacity is the same as an 8mm-338 that I have and these two rifles shoot the same load to almost the identical velocity and they are within 100 fps of a stock 8mm REm Mag with handloads. All 3 rifles shoot the the 200 gr partition and the 200 gr TSX bullets well. I have taken elk and moose with both of those bullets and they would be my choice in any 8mm mag rifle.
I also have a Voere made rifle in the 6.5x68 calibre. There is no "S" associated with this calibre as there is with the 8x68S. The "S" denotes a .323 " bore rather than the earlier .318" bore. RWS Case capacity is very close to the capacity of the 264 Win Mag. Ballistics are also very close. To obtain top velocities I think you would need a 26 inch or longer barrel. My Voere rifle has a 24 in barrel and velocities are nothing special. I think I would build something that brass was easier to obtain in 6.5 cal.

Hi Snowman

Thanks for your input.... Did you rebarrel your 602 or was it already in 8x68? Also what barrel length are you using? Is there a need for a 26" on the 8x68?

Here in South Africa, the 8x68 has a solid following (probably more than the 300 Weatherby) so that's why I'm leaning towards it as my long range wildebeest, kudu, gemsbok cartridge. As for actions, it would be a real pain in the ass to go out and buy a new action and then license it. So I thought my best bet would be to use either the ruger or 602.

Cheers
MD

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
MD

If you are set on the 8x68 and using one of your existing actions in a magnum bolt face, you are going to be disappointed because they are not compatible. Unless you can find a new bolt for the action in a 30-06 bolt face that can be opened up to the 68 case head size. I had to do much the same when I made my 9.3x64.

If you cant come up with a different bolt, but have to use the actions you have mentioned, you are probably better served with something like a 300 Win Mag.

As far as barrel length, its up to you to make a decision on the trade-off: a little extra velocity vs handling. Each extra inch of barrel will give you approximately 25fps, so its the only way to get some extra velocity. However this comes at the price of more weight out front, and a rifle that can be a little harder to manoeuver. Some prefer a shorter barrel for handeling, while others prefer the extra velocity.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could shim the bolt face, but I would not recommend that!

You need a 06 donor action. Or you need to re chamber your existing rifle to a 338 or 300WM.

The 8x68 is a great round, I've owned two over the years.

And a friend of mine uses hers for mountain zebra hunting in the Khomas Hochland in Namibia with the H-Mantel load in RWS factory ammo. Swears by it tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:

Hi Snowman

Thanks for your input.... Did you rebarrel your 602 or was it already in 8x68? Also what barrel length are you using? Is there a need for a 26" on the 8x68?

Here in South Africa, the 8x68 has a solid following (probably more than the 300 Weatherby) so that's why I'm leaning towards it as my long range wildebeest, kudu, gemsbok cartridge. As for actions, it would be a real pain in the ass to go out and buy a new action and then license it. So I thought my best bet would be to use either the ruger or 602.

Cheers
MD

Md My Brno 602 in 8x68 was factory made with the correct bolt face and 26 in barrel.. I would suggest going with a 25 or 26 in barrel. Under the circumstance why wouldn't you consider a 338 Win on the Ruger action? 210 or 225 gr bullets in a 338 are going to be very similar to 8x68S ballistics and the 338 gets by nicely with a 24 in barrel

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOTE: the 8x68S and its' 6,5 brother are not encumbered by belts. That means one more round.

You can get loaded ammunition from Mark Cromwell (NECG). I bought the 127gr Kegelspitz, which is a pencil tip shaped spitzer projectile. Data on the box flap indicates that, with a 25.6" barrel; velocity is 3150fps. That's about a hundred feet faster than a 264 Win Mag.

As was said, the 8mm is within a hundred fps of 8mm Remington Magnum velocity. This from a case that will fit, both do, in a standard length Mauser action.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I had always wanted a rifle in this calibre & that I didn't have a fortune in, so I bought a nice early tang safety Ruger M77 with Redfeild scope chambered in 30-06 as my donor gun. I disassembled & removed the barrel & replaced with a Delcour 1-11 twist 24 5/8" chambered in 8x68S & fitted the barrel channel in the stock, stripped the bolt & machined the bolt face to propper diameter & reworked the extractor, replaced the mag. box with a .338 box from Ruger with minimal metal fitting work & none to the stock in that area. Head space was checked with PTG go & no go gauges.
Works great with all factory ammo I have run thru it. My handloads are using Norma MPR driving Norma 227 grn SP @ 2700 fps, have also loaded some woodleigh 220 grn @ 2600 fps as that is max velocity Woodleigh recomends for that bullet. I am quite happy with how all turned out & that I was able to do all the work.

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't somebody here awhile back selling a Euro model Ruger 77 in that caliber??

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait... I'm sorry... I Over looked the S.A location..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys... Really appreciate your help on this one.

The 300 win mag was my second choice. I just thought about getting something different since it was to be a custom rifle and the 8x68 just had me a bit more interested. I do enjoy unconventional calibres.

Regards
MD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m4220:

I had always wanted a rifle in this calibre & that I didn't have a fortune in, so I bought a nice early tang safety Ruger M77 with Redfeild scope chambered in 30-06 as my donor gun. I disassembled & removed the barrel & replaced with a Delcour 1-11 twist 24 5/8" chambered in 8x68S & fitted the barrel channel in the stock, stripped the bolt & machined the bolt face to propper diameter & reworked the extractor, replaced the mag. box with a .338 box from Ruger with minimal metal fitting work & none to the stock in that area. Head space was checked with PTG go & no go gauges.
Works great with all factory ammo I have run thru it. My handloads are using Norma MPR driving Norma 227 grn SP @ 2700 fps, have also loaded some woodleigh 220 grn @ 2600 fps as that is max velocity Woodleigh recomends for that bullet. I am quite happy with how all turned out & that I was able to do all the work.

m4220

That is one beautiful rifle sir! Here in SA it seems that those who own one realise how special it is and you won't find them on the second hand market in a hurry!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you close to Marken?

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Build a custom on a M98 action with a 25-26" #2 Lothar Walther barrel or buy any of the 8x68 factory rifles with 25" barrels from Europe - example Steyr-Mannlicher, Mauser, Blaser, Heym, etc.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3050 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Are you close to Marken?

Yes sir.... Use to do a lot of my hunting near Marken

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Build a custom on a M98 action with a 25-26" #2 Lothar Walther barrel or buy any of the 8x68 factory rifles with 25" barrels from Europe - example Steyr-Mannlicher, Mauser, Blaser, Heym, etc.

I considered some of the manufacturers but the prices are extremely high... For a Blaser R8 we looking at about $8k, Mauser M03 was around the $6k mark. It made much more sense for me to the custom route as it worked a lot cheaper.