Find
Notify
Tools

RL 17 in a 9.3x64?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted
Looking for some help with this useing 250's and 286"s.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried this powder, but if you have a burning rate chart you could compare this with my favourite load for the x64:

286 Woodleigh RN, RWS brass, 210 primer and 67 grs of N150. COL 85 mm.

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bull I have used a bit of RL17 in my 9.3x64 with the 286 and 293 gr bullets. I would suggest it may be a little slow for the 250 gr bullets and you would be better off using RL 15 & 250 gr slugs. My rifle is built on a 98 Mauser and thes loads were safe in my rifle. RWS cases , WLR primers & 286 gr Partions. Start at 67 or 68 grs and work up carefully to a max load of approx 72 grs. Another powder that works very well in my rifle is IMR 4007.Very good groups. With 286 gr start @ 68 grs and work up to a max of 72 grs. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
snowman, thanks, i'll try it with the 286's. I've got some 4007 also, will work on that one too. Thanks Buddy

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got my 9.3x64 yesterday. Appreciate the timely information!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote