Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy Powders for 7x57
 Login/Join

posted
What are your accuracy powders for 7x57? I have only used H414 with mixed results, so I want to do some experimenting. Thanks! Mine is a Ruger M77 Mark II.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What bullet weights? I switch powders too but it's usually something else.

With 120 gr bullets IMR 4064 is good 4350 on everything else.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have reloaded for the 7x57 for over 30 years. I load 139 and 175 grn bullets and I agree with S99 on the IMR 4350. My 200th Anniversary M77 loves it!

Posts: 4 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Went through all my Data and agree with the 4350, followed closly by 2230-C??? 150 to 174gr. bullets.I have two deep throats and they don't do great with the lighter bullets. boohooroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't laugh but your accuracy may improve more by changing the bullet. You will probably get indifferent accuracy with 150 to 140 grain bullets and worse if they are boattails.
If you have to use a light bullet make it a Ballistic Tip since they have a longer bearing surface and a relatively short boattail.
You will probably get much better accuracy with
a 175 grain round nose made by Hornady or the equivalent Sierra RN. My best 140 grain Sierra loads grouped about 1.5 inches. The Sierra has no boat tail. Federal factory ammo using the 175 grn RN shoots about .75 in my first model Ruger 77.
EDG

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't get an accurrate load with 4350 in a 7x57, you may have a problem. 139 Hornaday's and 49gr works great in my rifles. If that doesn't work you might try 42-44grs IMR4064 with the same bullet. Both loads work great in the rifles I have.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Another vote for H4350...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one of the easiest questions on rifles that I know of, what works best in a 7 x 57.

I own three of them, two are Rugers, and they were not that accurate, with any bullet until I stumbled on the magic formula:

Long seat the bullet, and 40 grains of IMR 3031 regardless of bullet weight. Velocity in the 139/140 range is 2700 fps, and with the 160 and 175 range, the velocity is 2650fps in both Rugers.

Accuracy rivals a varmint round at 100 yds, with both rifles.

3031 shot circles around 4350, RL 15, RL 19, 22, 4831, 4064, 4895.

The second best was RL 7, 35 to 38 grains. work up as always.

Cheers and Good shooting seafire nut bewildered thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like H4895 and cheap Winchester 150 gr PP.
Varget worked OK also and I could not get H4831 to group well at low velocities.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
i use hornady 154 round noses with 48.0 gr of h4350..that's in a strong m700 classic so work up to it..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow! Lots of feedback and a variety of powders, some I would never have considered. My Ruger has a long throat and shoots 175 grain Federal factory loads better than anything else. They will shoot right at an inch for three at 100 yards if I do my part. On hand I have 139 grain Hornady spire point boat tails, 154 grain Hornady roundnoses, 140 grain Partitions, and 175 grain Grand Slams. SO much work to do in finding that super accurate deer and black bear load! I want to dabble with some 120 grain ballistic tips and 130 grain speers as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
I like H4895 and cheap Winchester 150 gr PP.
Varget worked OK also and I could not get H4831 to group well at low velocities.

-Spencer

What charge are you using with that bullet? I've tried several powders with that "cheap" Winchester bullet, but so far, it hasn't shot worth a damn in three 7x57 rifles I have. These rifles are all 1" or less shooters with every other bullet I've use from 140 gr. Nosler BTs to 175 gr. Hornady RNs. Trying to get that bullet to group is driving me sane.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
My best accuracy results for 140 and 150 Nosler BT were with Re15.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul B,
I had some bulk pack Remington 150 PCL that I couldn't get to group better than about 3" @ 100 yards with 5 different powders. I tried Seafire/B17G's load of 40 grains of IMR-3031 and darn if 6 groups didn't average 1.278". Needless to say, I'm quiet pleased!

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe;

Glad to hear you got the same good results!

I hear rumors that that Seafire character sometimes lucks out on some of this stuff.

Actually he can't take credit for anything else than playng with a bunch of different powders and stumbled across one that worked.

Cheers and good shooting.....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire - PM sent.

Posts: 149 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote