THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Best Rifle For wife/son .243, 7mm-08, or 270
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Rifle For wife/son .243, 7mm-08, or 270
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I decided that I wanted a light recoiling accurate rifle for deer hunting . I bought a Dakota in 7X57. It was everything that I expected, but what suprised me was the performance of the 7X57. Three shots - 3 deer. I agree with the majority - 7-08, 7X57 - either one. Get it in a full sized gun not a compact or model 7 - I've got nothing against small guns - it's just that the recoil in a model 700 or 70 is negliable. For a beginner give them something that doesn't smack them back.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off I am a 270 man. That being said all rounds mentioned are "Sufficient". I think the 243 is definately on the lighter side, especially on montana sized deer. My dad and I went throught this argument for a gun for my brother a few years back. Took us about three years to decide. Finally we just got him a 30-06 since he is now bigger than either of us. All guns kick to those who rarely shoot. Make sure you have enough nockdown power first, because none of these cartriges are too much for small people. If you reload I think the 270 is unique in that it shoots all bullet weights accuratly. Therefore you can shoot 100 grain bullets at 2800-2900 fps and have a very mildly kicking round................Then in a few years go after that ELK with stronger loads and heavier bullets!!

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFD:
Been there, done that! tried all the above, plus. What has worked for this crowd was the Sav mod 99 in 250-3000. Mpi now sells a set of glass replacement stocks and will cut to length and add a pad for you. Great killing ctg. You can find these rifles used at the gun shows cheap. No it ain't sexy but sure works great!! IMHO

Not in these parts you don't. The .250-3000 brings a substantial premium. Fortunately I got mine about 30 years ago.

I dunno how anyone could object to .25 caliber bullet selection. The standard bullets work perfectly. Nosler offers a pretty good spread if you insist on a "premium" bullet, but inside 200 yards you ain't gonna improve on the bulk 117 grain Remington bulk if you have one of the 1-10 Savage 99s.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
BBBruce wrote:

As for 7mm/08, nice cartrige but not as flexible as the .270 and more than you need for small varmints. Not as easy to find ammo for as a .270, and not nearly as many bullet weights. A .270 will do anything a 7mm/08 will but not vica versa.

270 Winchester - Yes, Yes, Yes

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you handload, I'd go with the .270 Win., but if you don't, the 260 Rem seems about right.

Posts: 11 | Location: NDakota | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed several deer with the 243 before the 7mm08 came on the market. The 243 will work but is a little on the light side. The 7mm08 is fine for recoil and better bullet weights for deer. My wife weighs 97 lb and loves shooting my 7mm08 at the range where you get the most recoil. Who feels recoil when you shoot at a deer anyway.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elkhunter,

My wife is small and she love's the rifle .270 Win

Steyr ProHunter Mountain Rifle
The professional all-weather rifle is ergonomically designed with a stock made of durable synthetic material. With butt spacers the length of the stock can be adjusted to meet individual needs. A shorter 20" barrel facilitates hunting in heavy forests and when climbing is required.

Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another round to consider is the awsome 6.5x55 swedish mauser round no recoil really and kills ver well with bullets from 90 gr to 160 gr Hornady RN's !!

I want one in a cz myself !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More important than recoil or caliber is the overall fit of the rifle. I am fairly short, 5'5", and have distinct difficulties with most rifles one can by 'over-the-counter' due to barrel length (overall length) and stock length. My best and most comfortable rifle so far is a custom-built .270 (interarms action, Douglas 22 inch barrel and custom stock). I have not received my latest purchase, which will be a .338 caliber Sako action, again with a custom stock and a shilen 22 inch barrel.

I think the most important decision to make is the caliber.

Once a rifle fits, shoulders nicely and handles comfortable, the loads, recoil and all the other variables can be adjusted with proper reloads and hence, will eventually fall into place. Given the right set-up, I think I can shoot and enjoy any caliber.

Good luck

Marianne

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with a 7x57...It is the least recoiling caliber that I would not hesitate to shoot any animal on this earth with...and I almost have with the exception of Lion, Elephant and big bears.....If you handload it will leave the 7-08 sucking wind and with heavy bullets its a killer of anything....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend one of the youth models in 308. I gave some shooting instructions to a Lady last week that has a Rem 700 Youth Model. The rifle shot and handled very good.
For a new shooter I would also recommend the Federal or Remington Low Recoil loads.
They come in sevral calibers, even 300 Win Mag.
They are designed for deer hunting 200 yards and under.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go with a 7x57...It is the least recoiling caliber that I would not hesitate to shoot any animal on this earth with...and I almost have with the exception of Lion, Elephant and big bears.....If you handload it will leave the 7-08 sucking wind and with heavy bullets its a killer of anything....

Ray, I am a great fan of the 7x57 as you know, but there is one problem with this. Availability of new rifles. I have been looking again, and in new rifles the selection is the pits. Actually selection in 7mm any caliber non WSM is limited. I have looked over the 280, 7mm-08, and 7x57 rifles very limited pool of nice rifles. And if you are picky and fussy like you and I are its pitiful. I am not saying there are no rifles available, but stainless and synthetic doesn't float my boat, and I don't want laminate. That pretty much limits selection to a handful of rifles across all the 7mm's and it seems to be getting smaller year by year.

Its a crying shame really all of these are very good rounds, and although I have my personal favorites all are very good rounds for lower 48 states hunting.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked up a load for a buddies 14 yr. old daughter, on a Mod 7 Rem in 7mm-08 the original model with the 18.5" barrel. I loaded up 130gr. Speer BT's(because I had some) I got accuracy at and around 2600fps. This girl is tall but quite lanky about 110lbs. and she had no issues with the recoil of this load, she shot approximatly 20 loads from the bench her first day out, with only a Past sissy pad. She had no complaints and just loves the load and the rifle.

Posts: 120 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Shooter:
My first choice for this application is the 260 Rem.

I was going to say that was my first choice, but after owning a Mannlicher stocked rifle (CZ 550) in 6.5X55, I'd have a hard time recommending anything else.

Very mild recoil, deep penetrating bullets, 140 grain Partitions, A Frames, and TSXs for really big critters (elk, moose) and a handy barrel length that is perfect for the woods but gives very little up in the open.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would look at 6.5-08, 7-08, or plain jane old 308.
Load reduced loads with Blue Dot and get them used to shooting with good . . . VERY GOOD ear protection (I have come to believe over time that noise creates a flinch faster than recoil).

Start with 100-130 grain bullets with minimum accurate Blue Dot loads (this loading provides a minimum of recoil and noise) and by hunting season they will be shooting full bore loads in anticipation of season. Upper levels of Blue Dot loads are certainly powerful enough to hunt a lot of game animals.
I will bet they forget recoil when shooting at game, it is then that the 100s of shoots or more on the range will come into play.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in the same market last year. I was looking for a easy handling and light kicking rifle for my wife, 5'6'' 120lbs. We ended up with the Ruger M77 MarkII Laminated Stainless. 18" barrel in .308. She loves it. Finding a rifle that fits prior to firing helps. After she sold herself on the rifle I think a .375mag would not have too much recoil. I would also fit the rifle to your wife. She will fit it for years and the son will want your pet rifle in a couple of years, I know!( I wanted my fathers and my son got mine!) Good Luck

Single*Shot

Multiple Barrels
Same Trigger
Same Feel
Same Results

Posts: 46 | Location: Maine US | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm setting up a rifle for my 9-year-old son, who will hand it off to his cousins in time. It's a stainless/synthetic M-70 FWT in 30-06 with a shortened stock. I'll load 150-gr. bullets to 30-30 velocity, or use Remington reduced recoil ammo, which groups with 180-gr CoreLokt's. The 22" tube is to keep noise down -- I've just about quit using rifles with shorter barrels because of the blast. Okie John.

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Rem Model 7 + .260 Rem + 22" Mountain Rifle barrel + 140 gr Corelocks + 2x7 Nikon Monarch scope + a little practice + one young (dumb) spike white-tailed deer = one happy 12 year old + one proud uncle.

BTW that shot was perfect, the exit wound centered the off shoulder. Very minimal meat damage. The deer ran an little semi-circle and piled up within 35 yards.

I also used that rifle on a doe and a pretty nice 8-pointer this past year.

Here's a closeup of the rifle, and I do like the 260. If you go with one of the 3 cartridges you listed, I'd pick the 7mm-08. Remington lists their Mountain Rifle LSS in both 260 and 7mm-08.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one so I am going to give you my 2 cents. For a nice light rifle I use a Steyer Professional in 7 x 64. This rifle has almost no recoil and it is so accurate it is scary! I am talking 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day long. I really enjoy this rifle and I think your family members would do well with one for eac of them.

Posts: 50 | Location: South America | Registered: 06 August 2004Reply With Quote