New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen. I read many, and rightly so, comments of praise for the 9.3x62. I have an Husqvarna model 146 on an FN Mauser 98 action in the older 9.3x57. Is the x57 used in the US of A? I would like to hear comments and observations on the x57 and where you think the limits of the x57 are. In other words which game would you take with the x62 but think the x57 would not be enough gun? Thank You.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will probably get some good replies from the Scandanvians on the 9,3x57. I use a 9,3x74R so I am some what familiar with the 9,3 family of cartridges. Most Americans consider the 9,3x57 in the same area as a 358 Win to a 35 Whelen, thus excellent for all game under the big bears, lion, buff elephant etc. Subject to a range limitation of around 250 yards.
It is not that it will not kill DG, but you have to draw the line somewhere. It is a great hunting cartridge for everything else.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I am one who thinks a great deal of it. Mine have iron sights and will only regulate to the 286 gr bullets so I don't get to use the lighter bullets but so far no problem. It is enough gun for anything I can think of in this hemisphere inside 200 yds.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have an old Hva 146 in 9,3x57 too... great rifle and round, with a gentle push on the sholder. It will bring down anything that the x62 will. The x62 may penetrate deeper, but I think it all depends on the bullet used. I use Lapua Mega 286grain, but i will try the Norma Oryx(bonded) in the lighter 232grains.

With the lapua at ca.2060fps it penetrates a scandinavian bullmoose easy. Because the bullet doesn't overexpand.

B.R
10,75mauser

Posts: 18 | Location: East-Norway | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote