Notify
Tools

Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonator
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried the new Limbsaver Barrel
De-Resonator. Part #12051?

They report improved bullet accuracy with a simple slip-over rubber unit. The unit sells for approx. $20.00

website: http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/firearms/barrelderes.aspx

Interested in your feedback,
Thanks,
rslus

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a post out on this in a couple forums a couple months back. Didn't get alot of response. One guy said it didn't make a difference on his rifle but they put it on one of his buddies and it tightened things up. Another guy said it made things worse.
SO WHAT THE HECK I JUST BOUGHT ONE. Some of the suppliers seem to be pedaling them cheap--maybe they didn't sell...I think I got mine for about $12. I guess the bottom line is that they must change something---either for better or worse and I figure on playing with it a little on a 30-06 that has been an average shooter. They are smaller than I thought and really don't look that bad on a rifle. I think some of the European .22 cal match shooters have an attachment like this.

Bottom line is I'm a gadget man and have spent $12 alot more foolishly. I read that they slide on pretty easy and then kind of "take a set" on the barrel and that's what I found. I sprayed a little lemon pledge in the the hole and put some on my barrel and slid it up close to the forarm--it seems to want to stay there now...will probably have to repeat the procedure to move it around and experiment. Now if I hunt with that gun for deer season and my buddies ask what that is I'm gonna have to come up with some sort of crazy story....any ideas??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kraky:

yeh, tell them it's a new deer lure that attracts deer right to the gun!

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Now if I hunt with that gun for deer season and my buddies ask what that is I'm gonna have to come up with some sort of crazy story....any ideas??

Tell them its' a super conductor for lead and as the bullet passes through the thing it turns it into a hyper magnum.

My chance to full of shit for the dayBig Grin

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Tell them it is a magnetic deresonator that changes the electrical charge on the barrel and completely eliminates barrel fouling. (I have had a lot of practice explaining things to my wife)

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That thing is just to damn ugly to put on a nice rifle. I would have to be really desperite to use that thing, and if I was that desperate I would trade or sell the rifle ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
It would look right at home on a savage.... :-)

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's alot smaller than their ad makes it look.
Yes some people like the pretty rifles...to me a rifle is just a tool....this little addition
doesn't look that bad...especially on a synthetic stocked rifle.
If it tightens up groups what's wrong with it??
People here on these forums are getting all crazy and weighing brass, weighing bullets, indexing the position of the case---if this little addition works better than all that I'll be happy.
BESIDES--ITS MY RIFLE----I don't care if you think it's ugly!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...BESIDES--ITS MY RIFLE----I don't care if you think it's ugly!!!
Hang in there Kraky! I've never witnessed Game "Prettied-to-Death" either!

But the question is, how does it shoot???

Looks like you would have to "adjust it" for a specific Load similar to the way a BOSS moves back and forth on the barrel.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:

SO WHAT THE HECK I JUST BOUGHT ONE.
--it seems to want to stay there now...will probably have to repeat the procedure to move it around and experiment.

I bought one, too (but haven't tried it yet). How does the rubber hold up on a hot barrel?

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I read one report where the groups actually got worse. However, the point of inpact did shift a couple of inches, so it is doing something.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gosh--don't let your barrel get so hot it will melt rubber!! It will be a while before I get to play with it some. What the heck you guys....step up to the plate and give one a try for yourself. Total cost is about 3 beers in a fancy bar.....besides I just bought stock in the company......just kidding.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would look right at home on a push-feed, synthetic-stocked, stainless-barreled, muzzle-braked POS. Personally, i have more respect for the dignity of the animals I kill than to shoot them with something as rank as that.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried it on my 7mm Rem Mag and it changed for the better went from 1" to almost one hole groups. Its the only gun I tried it on but it did make a difference. To those that made it worst did you adjust it I know I had to play with mine a little before hitting its sweet spot. I did also have a bit of trouble moving it on the barrel once it heated the rubber up. Just my experience.

Aloha!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
It would look right at home on a savage.... :-)

Only problem is that Savages are so accurate that they dont need it !!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you put it on one rifle you can then use it on another one, right. I was reading the reviews on Cabela's (mostly positive) some said they later bought one for each of their rifles, but I don't think that necessary. Am I right?

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well yes - it is possible to use a rubber more than once, but popcorn

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
well yes - it is possible to use a rubber more than once, but popcorn

Suppose it depends upon the size of your barrel, they fit pretty tight on my barrel and get stretched too much. lol

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not laugh off the effectiveness of one without trying it first,,, those little soft synthetic inserts that go into tennis rackets and hunting bows sure have a notable positive effect on controlling/dampening resonation.....for $12 its worth a try, if I remember correctly folk used to quiz/laugh at the idea of synthetic stocks...whos laughing now?...MCMillan!
...if all else fails the limbsaver De-resonator may prove itself as De-vorcenator marriage saver in the bedroom...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i know the dogs love them.

this is the new one they are coming out with for SWAT...

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dr. Lou,
One of the more astute, profound comments on the subject at hand. I solute you sir for your insight to the topic. Have a Merry Christmas!!

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC this is a commercial version (or rip-off) of John Ardito's "DogNut" from eight or ten years ago. "Guido" Ardito is a cast bullet benchrest shooter of some fame who put one of these on a fat-barreled Unlimited Class Benchrest Rifle in the mid-nineties. He also shot an 8mm X 1 5/8" 308 at the time. Did rather well, but I always thought it's primary advantage was messing with other people on the line between relays.

Heck, what's the worst thing that can happen? This goober melts on your barrel and you spend three-four hours melting/scraping it it off with a benzo-matic and a putty knife...
Yeah, that is the worst thing, for the cost of a dozen crispy-cremes and a gallon of Egg Nog; whatcha got to lose? Oh yeah, we just went thru that.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway USA

Unless 5 people here are totally clueless, sounds like they work.

I have one on my Tikka 243 and it definately didnt hurt anything, I havent experimented enough to give conclusive results, but I dont think they look bad either, but heck I have my whole stock wrapped in camo tape over the synthetic stock. I guess Im more of into functionality than beauty.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Barrel prophylactic animal

Just think how much better it would shoot if you put 2 of them on it! Roll Eyes (sarcasm)

IMO, just another product that's main purpose is to separate a sportsman from his money.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
probably one of the cheapest and easiest investments i have made for accuracy,i took a 284win. shortened the barrel turned it down for a light weight pack rifle and gun would shoot 2-2.5 it now shoots about 1.25 i was kind of shocked. i liked carrying the gun but it was a real frustation to load for.

Posts: 38 | Location: seattle,wa | Registered: 29 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried one as a joke and now I have one on over twelve guns. It works for me, even if it looks like a dog knot. You have to find the sweet spot on every gun, most of mine are about an 1 inch from the end of the barrel. It tends to cut bullet group size in half if you put it in the sweet spot, but if it is in the wrong spot it will open up a group. It works on a simular principle to the BOSS did on Browning's and Winchester's, it changes the harmonics of the barrel.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KSTEPHENS,

Hijack alert! American Bulldog I assume. Have looked at the breed but have stayed with my AmStaffs and pits. PM me more about your dogs if you will.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote