THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    A good day at the range with my 280 Ross.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good day at the range with my 280 Ross.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been spending a lot of time over the year trying to develop an accurate load for my Ross M1910 in .280. The load that I tried at the range today consisted of 145 gr Speer Hot-Cor bullets and 53.0 grains of IMR 4064. The grouping of 3 was with large rifle primers and the other target was using a magnum primer. Unfortunately, I only had one magnum reload. Even if I would have had more, I don't think that I would have wanted to ruin the target. Groups were shot at 100 yards using the Porter pop-up aperture. This load chronographed at 2840 fps.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice now shoot a few more and you well know that you have a good load.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Those 145 gn speers have been my favorite deer medicine for a couple decades. Ive been thinking about trying them with some of the new sta-ball powder in my 280. Time is getting short to git er done before the hunt this year. BOOM

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ross will be one of the rifles that I take into the PA woods. I suppose that I could try to get the velocity up a little more but I'm more about accuracy than fps.
The other rifle I've been primping for deer season is a 1893 Steyr in 6.5x53R made by George Gibbs.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose that I could try to get the velocity up a little more

Why you have enough velocity to kill any thing you want

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote