Find
Notify
Tools

Mod. 70 pre 64 .308 cal ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted
Guys , I have a chance to buy a used mod 70 in 308 . needs a reblue job and other than that is in pretty good shape. Missing the front sight hood. Wood is nice and not dinged up.

Guy wants $650 for it, I got til tonight to let him know. Is it a fair price ?

Thanks

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Good price

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2580 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think that's a fair price, particularly if it is a standard weight. All the pre-'64s I have ever seen in that chambering were either the "Bull Barrel" target model, or most commonly, the Featherweight. I've owned the Bull Barrel and the FW models in .308, but never even seen a standard weight.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
it is a fwt 22 " bbl.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's in good shape I'd snap it up for that price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A C

You never saw a Standard 308 because they were never offered. They did offer a 24" Fwt 308 for a short time and Standard weights were available strictly as Special Order items from the custom shop.

A standard weight 308 kind of defeats the purpose of the 308 in the first place, nearly 30-06 performance in a shorter lighter package.

quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
I think that's a fair price, particularly if it is a standard weight. All the pre-'64s I have ever seen in that chambering were either the "Bull Barrel" target model, or most commonly, the Featherweight. I've owned the Bull Barrel and the FW models in .308, but never even seen a standard weight.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
A C

You never saw a Standard 308 because they were never offered. They did offer a 24" Fwt 308 for a short time and Standard weights were available strictly as Special Order items from the custom shop.

A standard weight 308 kind of defeats the purpose of the 308 in the first place, nearly 30-06 performance in a shorter lighter package.

quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

Which is why I said it was a very fair price if a standard weight. They did offer them, but only from the custom shop not from the catalogue. Reportedly there were SOME ordered, built, and delivered, though I don't recall how many. Any time one can get any pre-'64 custom shop rifle at that price, he can't bitch.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is very hard to find any pre 64's at that price in my area.

While there is plenty of argument about 308 versus 30-06, short action conversions are rare. Lots of standard actions around but I have not seen many short actions outside of target rifles.

I had to buy the parts to convert my 30-06 NM to a 308 short action.

Wisners still has the magazine box.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifl...inchester/70pre.html