New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 win, 25-06 or 7mm-08
 Login/Join

posted
Hello guys

I´m a left handed shooter from Iceland. After searching for a long time I´ve managed to find three left handed Tikka Whitetail hunters: a .270 win, a 25-06 and a 7mm-08. The rifle will mostly be used for paper punching from 100 to 500m, if I manage to hit anything at that range. Also it will be used for varminting, goose and seal shooting. Then maybe sometime in the future I will go deer hunting with it. So now you know what I will be using it for, which one would you recommend to me? It would also be nice if you could tell me which cartridge is most accurate, has least recoil, most ammo selection, is cheapest to shoot and how long barrel life to expect from each cartridge.

Thanks,
jonj

one of us
posted Hide Post
All the calibers listed are great.I bought the ruger M77 MKII .270 caliber for punching paper and whitetail.I load 130gr bullets with H-1000
and IMR-4350.I get really good groups with my leupold VX-1 3X9 scope.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what calibers are popular in iceland, so hard to answer the best ammo selection and cheapest to shoot.

The 25-06 will have the least recoil, because it shoots the lightest bullets. Since it burns the most amount of powder in relation to its bore dia, it will likely have the shortest barrel life, though should be fine for several 1000 rounds.

The .270 will have a similar level of recoil to the 7-08. It fires slightly lighter bullets then the 7-08, but burns more powder.

The 7-08 will have the most recoil, if you shoot the heaviest bullet weights. It should also have the longest barrel life, because it burns less powder than the other rounds, and has a larger bore. It is also built on a short action, so the gun should be slightly lighter weight.

All chamberings will likely offer the same level of accuracy. For varminting, I'd choose the 25-06, it is the flattest shooting, and mildest recoiling. I assume you only shoot geese in the head, as a body shot with any of those rounds will basically destroy the goose. I don't know how large your seals are, but I'd tend to choose the 7-08 for that task.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Good question. I think all 3 will fit the bill. Because all are good choices an important factor is ammo selection in your area. Unless you reload...

I'm not sure the 7-08 has more recoil than the 270 though. It burns a lot less powder and there's 7mm 130/140/150gr bullets available, just like in 270. You can get lighter bullets in 7mm, but then you'll lose some Ballistic Coefficient vs the 25-06. One thing only the 7mm offers is heavier bullets. Heavy and slow is a surefire killer.

And a question for you: which model Tikka are you looking at? I don't see Whitetail on the Berretta site and the Tikka site isn't working. I'm looking for a Stainless/Synthetic lefty in 7-08 myself and so far could only find a Savage Weather Warrior.

When I mention a cartridge,the rifles involved:
22LR Cooey SingleShot | 22 Hornet 40sCZ | 223Rem CZ 527 Varmint
30-06 Husqvarna Sporter | 300 WinMag A-BoltII S/S BOSS | 458 WinMag Ruger #1

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
7mm-08.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jonj - While I agree with Paul on all counts relating to caliber slection and characteristics, consider that the Tikka is only offered in one action length for all three of the calibers you are considering. In other words, they "block" their magazines and use the 30/06 length receivers for even the 7/08, so you won't be saving any weight or length. I have a Tikka T3 in a 30/06 that only weighs 6.4 pounds and is a great rifle (both accurate and reliable). Given your useage and the long action, my pick would be a .270. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Mags

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Iceland, but in the US the .270 will definitely have the best availability of ammunition, in the most bullet weights.

If you are primarily after small game and big game up to about 400 lbs. or so, and especially if you tend to take long shots, then I'd recommend the 25-06, all other things being equal (i.e., the individual rifles having the same accuracy), because the 25-06 will have the flattest trajectory. Aslo, it can be loaded with lighter bullets -- such as 87 grain or even lighter ones -- for higher velocity and flatter trajectory; such bullets are usually better for varmints and smaller game.

If you are going for larger game, up to and even including elk and moose, I'd go for the .270, especially if you take longer shots.

As someone else wrote, with the 7mm you can handle heavier bullets, up to 175 grains, but the velocity with those heavy bullets will be slow. The 7mm-08 does offer the advantage of being a shorter case, meaning that it can be built on a shorter length action. It also uses less powder than the other two to accomplish approximately the same tasks.

All in all, I'd probalby choose the .270, partly because of nostalgia and partly because I think it is the most versatile of those calibers you mention. But any of the three will work well for the things you mention.

I do have to report that I have experience with only one Tikka. It was a 25-06, and I could not get it to shoot as accurately as I wanted. But nothing can necessarily be concluded from that because each rifle is an individual with individual characteristics.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon
My son uses a Remington 700 in 25-06 for roe deer and general plinking/varmint.
In my book ( because it is a strange bird in Norway ) the 25-06 is a handloaders choice.
The caliber restrictions dont permit it for larger game such as reindeer although it would make a supreme high plains rifle the way I see it.
I like the 25-06 very much and can highly reccomend it.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the .270 with the 25-06 a very close second choice.

Posts: 11 | Location: NDakota | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Jonj,
of the calibers mentioned, I would take either the 7mm-08 or the 270.
There is a complete shortage on .25 bullets in Iceland as the quarterbores have never caught on there and are very unlikely to do so due to the existance and popularity of the 6.5mm calibers.

Keeping the ranges you mention in mind I would go for the 270. the 7mm and the 270 share the optimal bullet weight range of 120-150gr and the 270 is simply far flatter.
That said, you are rarely being represented with ranges above say 250m that are feasible. A goose´s head at 250m is a somewhat smallish target. So they should be fairly equal really for the type of hunting mentioned.

On the other hand, I´ve had no problems sniping geese with my 7mmRM and even using Nosler BT´s as long as the bullets DO NOT touch the chest of the bird. A broadside and the bird is dead and quite edible.

Regards

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'm a .270 Win. man, and bought my first one in 1978. In my opinion, it is superior to either the 7mm-08 or .25-06 in that it'll do all that those cartridges will do and then some, plus .270 Win. ammo is much more available just about everywhere in the world.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
jonj,

I would have to know if you handload, how easy it is to get handloading supplies in Iceland and what the hunting of seals is like?

All of the calibers listed will do the jobs that you mention if the seal hunting does not have some special requirement like pelt damage or them sinking or something that I am unfamiliar with such as a seal shot on land that makes it five feet into the water and is gone.

If all the ammo mentioned is available there along with handloading supplies then I would go with the 270 Winchester.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For "seal shooting" I would go for the 7mm-08. But that is just me. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
How much varmint hunting? If you do a fair amount the 25/06 is your baby. It will handle all the other game you've listed without any problem. If .25 caliber bullets are a problem, that would have a big effect of the decision. Between the 7mm-08 and .270, I like them both a lot, but as much as I love the 7mm-08, it can't compare to the flat trajectory of the .270. It can be use fairly well as a varmint caliber with lighter bullets, and it is generally an easy gun to find components for. I'm not badmouthing the 7mm-08, but for ballistics, the .270 beats it, and when long range hunting is on the table, the 25/06 and .270 are hard rounds to beat.

Bob

posted Hide Post
Thanks all for great replies. First I would like to tell you that I do not reload myself but there is a gunstore here that does it for a fair price. I was leaning towards the 25-06 mostly because of milder recoil which is nice when target shooting and varminting, which will be this rifles main use, but have decided against it after the guy at the store told me it was very uncommon and he didn´t even have dies for it. Since most of you prefer the .270win I´ve decided to go with it. The guy at the store also said it was quite common and ammo selection for it good. Regarding seal hunting I can tell you that there are no rules. They are usually shot in the head or neck from side after they come up from diving for air and are in their highest position, then their lungs are full and it´s less chance they sink. Here a lot of people dislike them because they hinder salmon from entering rivers and “disperse†worm in cod flesh as middle host in it´s life cycle. Thanks all again, you have been really helpful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot comparable bullets, I don't think the game will notice. I have a 7-08. my best friend has a270. We both
quote:
know
we have the best gun. If most of your shots are long,over 250yds, go with the 120gn 270. If you will be shooting bigger game, go with the 175gn in the 7-08. But it's truly a toss up. capt davida

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jonj:
Hello guys

I´m a left handed shooter from Iceland. After searching for a long time I´ve managed to find three left handed Tikka Whitetail hunters: a .270 win, a 25-06 and a 7mm-08. The rifle will mostly be used for paper punching from 100 to 500m, if I manage to hit anything at that range. Also it will be used for varminting, goose and seal shooting. Then maybe sometime in the future I will go deer hunting with it. So now you know what I will be using it for, which one would you recommend to me? It would also be nice if you could tell me which cartridge is most accurate, has least recoil, most ammo selection, is cheapest to shoot and how long barrel life to expect from each cartridge.

Thanks,
jonj

While all three cartridges are good and will do the job I believe you will be better suited with the .25-06. Just a better choice when it comes to varmints due to a better selection of light weight bullets. The added plus is the .25-06 is a very easy to load cartridge with brass easy to come by. I re-size .30-06 brass all the time that I pick up at the range. With bullets like the new Barnes 115 gr. TSX, it would be suitable for game as big as you are going to find. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
All of the cartridges mentioned are fine, but the truth of the matter is that the 260 Rem. can offer you a whole bunch of performance and do so with a large selection of bullets, including match quality if desired. One of the reasons you do not see the 257 calibers and the 277/270 at very many long range matches, the selection of quality match bullets is somewhat limited whereas the 6.5 has a host of quality bullets available for the hunter as well as the match/target shooter. Just a suggestion.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
dsiteman, my first choice was the 6.5x55 Swede. It´s very popular in Iceland. It has a lot of high BC bullets, recoil is very mild compared to other similar sized calibers and it´s a great long range cartridge but it´s almost impossible to find a left handed Tikka in US in 6.5x55. I couldn´t even find one in .243win which was my second choice. Since I have never shot a .270win my major concern is that the recoil from a 8lbs gun might be a bit hard. I live in the rural area of Iceland and the biggest rifle I´ve shot is a Brno in 6.5x57 which I dont think kicks hard. Of course I´ve also shot a 12 ga shotgun a lot. Can anyone compare the 6.5x57 and .270win for me recoil wise, just so that I know what I´m getting myself into. Smiler
jonj

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Hi Jon,

Knowing that you have a 6.5x57mm changes the situation. I'm betting a lot of people here would have offered different opinions if they'd known this.

I would have probably suggested taking a step up. Nothing drastic. Maybe a 30-06 or a 7mm RemMag? I know for a fact there's plenty Lefty 7Mags out there.

Nothing wrong with your choice of 270Win of course, but in all my daydreaming I consider cartridges with bigger differences. This is a function of limited cash and limited tolerance for guns in the house on my wife's part. Gotta maximize utility.

Can't say much on recoil differences as I've never shot the 6.5x57. I'd guess the 6.5 is less because of lighter bullets and smaller case.

When I mention a cartridge,the rifles involved:
22LR Cooey SingleShot | 22 Hornet 40sCZ | 223Rem CZ 527 Varmint
30-06 Husqvarna Sporter | 300 WinMag A-BoltII S/S BOSS | 458 WinMag Ruger #1

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Jon,
I think you would do well in purchasing a 270 even if you already have a 6.5x57.
If you are sensitive to recoil, the 7mmRM is certainly going to be more punishing than the non-magnums mentioned and the 270 is just as flat and effective within its own optimal bullet weight range.

My own 270 (a CZ-550) is gentle on the shoulder, far gentler than my 7mmRM and my own perception is that it is no harder recoiling than my 308W with heavy loads. It is precise as well.

Regards

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would choose the 7mm-08 for the ability to use heavier bullets.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gonzo, The 6.5x57 has the bolt and port on right side and has a high monte carlo cheekpiece for right handed people. Being left handed I´ve never been able to shoot it comfortably. Therefore I´ll be giving it to my brother once I get the Tikka in .270WIN.

GBF, thanks for sharing your experience. Since everybody seems to be able to shoot .308 and you find the recoil from a .270 similar I must be able to handle it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son shoots a 270 and I shoot the 7mm08 and load and test for both. The 7mm08 uses about 15 grains less powder and is less recoil than the 270. The 160 gr Sierra Gameking HPBT is extremely accurate and flat with 38.0 gr of IMR 4895. If my son gave a new 270 it would sit in the closet and rust. The 7mm08 is a great caliber for deer out to 350yds.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote