Find
Notify
Tools

Win Model 70 or Remington?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

I want a gun for hunting in AK, either 308 or 300, I am looking for somthing that will be accurate to 300 yds and will come in at under 1000. I am looking at the police model and sendaro, and also the win model 70, what would I have to do to these rifles to make one a real shooter? and which would you choose and why?

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Here's what my Model 70 SS Classic in 338 will do with factory Remington 250 gr CoreLokt's. That's good enough for a hunting rifle. I installed an ACRA-Bond Laminate stock on it. AA Bastonge. Fit perfect. The addition of that stock dropped the groups down to under an inch consistently.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a "Ford or Chevy" question.

Pick one and stand behind your decision without reason or flexibility. (That's what everyone else does )

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're going to be carrying it much in the Alaska hills, I'd skip the Sendero/PSS or anything else that heavy. A standard sporter will have plenty of accuracy out to 300 yards.

For me, I personally like Remingtons, so I'd be looking at something along the lines of a stainless M700 in a quality synthetic stock to take on that famous Alaska weather. And since you're talking Alaska, I'd make it the 300 and skip the 308, unless you have a purpose that I'm missing.

Hope this helps...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crosshairs has the right answer. Go to a sporting goods store and "handle" one of each. Shoulder it, etc. The shop may even have a used one with a scope on it that you can manipulate. Go with whichever one feels best and then go back to Crosshairs advice.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Pick one and stand behind your decision without reason or flexibility. (That's what everyone else does )

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should check out Tikka! Five hundred bucks and a great accurate rifle. Made by Sako!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

For something to be truly funny, there has to be an element of truth to it.
I usually read one post a day that makes me laugh or smile. Today I'm doing both.

Thanks

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I used to have strong opinions one way, but at this point in my life I've owned enough of both that I have no preference. Whichever feels better and/or is the best deal.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger All Weather stainless 338 win mag will take a lickin and keep on tickin in Alaska.I bought stainless Winchester 338 win mag with a boss.It rusted even before I hunted with it.They have some kind of weird coating on there stainless metal.Remington they have too thin of barrels on their mag rifles.I have shot 3/4 " groups at 200 yards with my Ruger All Weather Stainless with Factory loads.It outshot that Winchester with a boss.I would go with 338 win mag over 300 win mag any time also.I almost ruined my blued wood stock rifle on my first Alaskan hunt.I could not clean it fast enough and the wood swelled.I bought a Ruger Stainless 338 win mag and it is very tough and very accurate.Fred Myers has them on sale alot also.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for the rough Alaska weather. I've hunted for 8 days when it rained everyday, when it was way below freezing, (river froze up over night ) and in white outs (blowing snow) so bad we couldn't see over a hundred yards for 5 days. Stay away from them "purdee" rifles and by a tool. Get a Leupold scope or better, a stainless rifle is hard to argue with, and if you must buy a blued rifle, buy a 16oz bottle of Hoppes and a big bag of 0000 Steel Wool

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you truly want an all-weather gun, no rifle has more stainless parts, external AND internal, than the Sako 75 stainless. The only parts on it that are not stainless are parts that could not use stainless because of the properties of stainless. You probably wont have to buy a stock or glass bed it for it to shoot at least MOA with factory ammo either. It depends on what you want. You also wont have to buy a trigger for it or have trigger work done on it as you can do all that yourself without taking the action out of the stock.

I own a SAKO 75 in .308 and think it is a fine rifle and a fine cartridge. If your hunting Grizzly, there are better cartridges, but if you reload, you could load some 200 gr. bear claws or partitions for big bear.

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DP - may have a rifle / scope you would like, will send you an email - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do you want controlled feed?= winchester or pushfeed?=remington.For my travel rifle I bought a left hand model 70 in .300winmag.i ordered a stock from hs precesion. Had a gunsmith tune trigger and add brake.I'm going to have a thread protector made, I do not like the muzzle brake.i also have a ruger controlled feed in .30-06, for short range hunts.wayne

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
Win 70 > Rem 700 IMHO.

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot everything under the sun for family and friends, they all shoot well after some tweaking. I shoot instead of golf and will burn 3-5000 rounds per year. When I buy for myself, it is a Model 70 Winchester first then a Sako or Weatherby. Show me something better and I will listen. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ive shot and owned 14 remington 700's. from small framed ones to the big ones. mtn.rifle to model 7's and adls and bdls. some in stainless and in wood/laminate and not one failed to shoot .5 inch groups with reloads. the light barrels i do not prefer because i like to sit and shoot alot. you have to let them cool all the way down. the stainless models would fit your climate in alaska. i love a remington. their a fine rifle for the money. for 1000 to 1200 dollars you can have one and a leopold scope. im sure these other rifles would do as well but ive got no practical experience with the winchesters. a "ruger" well it makes a good boat paddle if your motor goes out. good actions but the barrels and triggers are junk. i have had practical experience with these. all junk. one out of 8 would shoot without major work. now the sako fan and his advise: probably some of the finest rifles out. a friend owns 2 (L61 L69 I BELIEVE)these rifles have the sweetest actions ive seen in a rifle. they both shoot lights out. im sure the sako 75 and its stainless options would please you greatly but the cost is a consideration. just my 2 cents and what i know by the guns ive handled and shot.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 308 is about too small for Alaska yea it will kill stuff but there is that kicks and bites back.The 338 win Mag is a very good all around rifle for Alaska and North America.You can shoot 200 to 275 gr or enen 300 gr.I have shoot 3/4" groups with mine at 200 yards and thats Factory Ruger With Factory ammo.Ruger All Weather is #1 Alaskan rifle ask Fred Myers they sell a ton of them!!!

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
interesting choice... for alaska, yeah, stainless is the way to go, and not wood. I like the Model 70 a lot, but for a "beat the holy crap out of it" gun, the Ruger Model 77 is hard to beat, or the Sako Stainless 75 is a move upmarket.

both will shoot perfectly good groups out of the box, and the ruger can be easily tuned to be close to the Sako for accuracy.

thats my take...

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hey guys,

I want a gun for hunting in AK, either 308 or 300, I am looking for somthing that will be accurate to 300 yds and will come in at under 1000. I am looking at the police model and sendaro, and also the win model 70, what would I have to do to these rifles to make one a real shooter? and which would you choose and why?

I happen to have one in 300 RUM Laminated stainless steel. A very nice looking gun! It is like

new in box and has 28 bullets through the bore. Trigger was adjusted. No

scratches no marring... like new. If you go to the following link you will

see the picture of the rifle and its accuracy potential.

http://www.groovebullets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534

It will also shoot 180 Nosler partition at 3270 fps (Remington Factory Ammo)

under 1" at 100 yds. I just got me a SAKO and I no longer need this

one. I will throw in leupold bases/rings for $525 plus actual

shipping. E-mail me if interested.

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D.P.:
I agree with the guys who recommend the Ruger Mod. 77 in .338 Mag. Get it in stainless steel with a laminated stock. Although I don't like doing after market work on a new rifle, I would replace the trigger with a good one like a Timney. A laminated stock is much more stable and stronger than solid wood and in my mind, doesn't look too bad. Put a good quality scope on it & you're ready to go. Nuff said. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote