Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler juices the Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
RANGE REPORT!

I was able to get out and try the Nosler Custom ammo for the .35 Whelen. I had a box each of the 225 grain Partition and and the 250 grain Partition.

The 250 grain load snugged into about 1 inch for 5 shots at 100 yards. Dead on the bullseye at that range.

The 225 grain load ran just over 1 inch at 100 yards for 5 shots. It hit almost exactly 3 inches higher than the 250 grain load or 3 inches high at 100 yards.

I have to say that I am pleased with the ammo, especially that elevation is the only difference between the loads. My rifle is a good shooter with most kinds of ammo, and I imagine that if you take away my shooting inperfections, both of these loads might go under 1 inch.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the positive news about the nosler ammo. I did get the 225 grain 35 Whelen and a box of the 375 H&H in the 260 gr accubond bullet. Anxious to try them out. Took two weeks for them to get the ammo to me after the order was confirmed - not the fastest shippers on the block. Certainly comes personalized with your name on the box and the ballistics for the particular ammo in a hard plastic case. Some of the reason for the 150% over retail price I assume.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muygrande,

From what I gathered, I don't think they make the ammo until they get the order, which explains some of the wait. As far as the cost, I had paid about $29 per box for the Federal Premium in .35 Whelen and this ran about $10 per box more. But in my experience with other "custom" loaders, that price was about what you get with any of them. In short, you won't save any money with any of these loads, whether from Nosler, Superior Ammo or whoever else, but usually excellent quality in bullets that aren't easily available to the non-handloader. Now, I wouldn't order my ammo for my .30-06 from one of these companies, it just wouldn't make financial sense.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really do not understand why the folks that try to make the 35 Whelan More than it can be without a great deal of work instead of going to the 9,3x62 which is a World class cartridge and far easier to load with a variety of bullets from 250-320 gr. There are 232 gr. bullets occasionally available but the 250 TSX is probably a better universal soldier for that caliber unless you REALLY need penetration and stopping power. Then the swift A-frame 300 gr.and the Woodleigh 320 gr. will definitely do the job. I am a real 35 fan and shoot all of them in Model 70's. With the 9,3's you really are stepping up to the plate.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Anyone run any of the Nosler 35 Whelen ammo past a chrony? I love the Whelen, but the numbers Nosler is publishing seem a bit like wishful thinking at standard pressures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3, I wonder if it isn't the case of remington screwing up again and downloading the Whelen so it can be used in their pump action rifle? Seems to me history is repeating itself as they did the same thing with the .280 Remington.
I've run 250 gr. Hornady and Speer bullets to nearly 2600 FPS from my custom Mauser without any apparent pressure signs, and this on a hot southern Arizona day. I still want to try and see if I can duplicate that in my Remington 700 Classic and Ruger 77 as well.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote