New
Find
Notify
Tools

PT-91's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone seen or handled the Sarco PT-91's? They have two models listed the PTR 91 and the PTR91A1, with a $350 price difference between the two. I have been considering a FAL or a G3 for a while, and these are interesting to me, but used guns from SARCO worry me, they seem to spread from really good deals and good stuff, like the CG-63's they had for a while, to the other extreme of overpriced junk.

Anybody got experience with these?

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy this thread is about as popular as warts on a prom queen.

Just FYI the PT-91's are HK G3's, blowback design in 7.62 NATO

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
wish i could help but i've never seen one schromf. I have a STG58 though. Wink thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Schromf, I read a bit about them on another forum and people seem to like them a lot more than the CETEME. Actually, they are new guns, not mil surplus.

There is a little comment on them down in the Military/Military Suplus forum about 1/2 way down the page.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate,

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I looked at 'em too but decided that the extra bucks for an AR10 variant was money well spent for two reasons: first you can tweak an AR with new/better parts to make a real shooter and second, you can get really interesting caliber changes by changing out the upper. See MartyW's thread on the Rhino series plus any 308 based round like 243, 7-08, 358 Win, the WSM series, yaa yada yada.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the AR-10 also, and my smith could get me a DPMS 308 T for a real good price also and he likes them a lot.

The switch caliber stuff I am not sure about, it would be nice having a 260, but the advantage the 308 is always going to have is cheap ammo. To really use one of these, your going to shooting a lot of ammo. 200 rounds would go quick. I would still shoot good ammo, but a steady diet of match grade ammo would get expensive quick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Schromf,

Having used both (FN FAL/SLR L1A1 and G3) in situations where accuracy/reliability REALLY count my advice is go with the G3.

They are both reliable (as long as you don't put the gas plug in the SLR in upside down) but the G3 creams the SLR for accuracy and is quite a bit shorter and easlier to handle.

These are the reasons you used to see the guys wearing sand coloured berets used the G3 and not the SLR. Did make them prefered targets on Falls road though.

For those who don't know Falls Road is a dangerous place to play if you are wearing green/DPM.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I had a 91-type from Century with cast aluminum receiver. It was clunky with an excessively short barrel. The short barrel in combination with the muzzle break made ear protection necessary. I have never had such a concussion wave hit me on discharging a .308. And don't even think about shooting it under a covered firing point. Not without double ear protection. Look at the AR-10 style rifle. Save for another peroid of time and get a rifle you can easily customize. If these new 91s have a 20" barrel or longer maybe they are useable. The shorter ones are not practical! Packy

posted Hide Post
I actually live close to Sarco and examined this weapon when they became available-IMHO,Save your money,it lookslike it was built by a third world country. Welds are VERY sloppy,the overall quality is very poor and looks like it was actually painted.Not to mention therehas been cycling problems with the use ofcommercial 308 ammo.If you got a ton of cheap 7.62 Nato you got to shoot up-this is your baby.

Posts: 5 | Location: Northern NewJersey | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually live close to Sarco and examined this weapon when they became available-IMHO,Save your money,it lookslike it was built by a third world country. Welds are VERY sloppy,the overall quality is very poor and looks like it was actually painted.Not to mention therehas been cycling problems with the use ofcommercial 308 ammo.If you got a ton of cheap 7.62 Nato you got to shoot up-this is your baby.

Thanks, That the kind of info I was looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
schromf
I can tell you that an original H&K 91 is a very good rifle. They are reliable and accurate. The H&K scope mount goes on/off/on with NO change in zero. The barrel is free floated relative to the handguard, so zero does not change when you add a bipod.
I have taken several deer, turkey and antelope with mine. The fluted chamber marks the brass, but it does not hurt it for reloading. I did a test once where I reloaded some cases 10 times with out any problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to qualify with a G3 and an MP5 back in the '80s. The system is a reasonably good design, but it is based upon welding stamped parts together.

It was high quality when made by H&K in Oberndorf, but suffers greatly when made by others trying to save a buck.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I actually owned the german product at one time-this is a poor copy. Although the weapon is allegedly built on the original H&K tooling-the quality and workmanship is simply not there.They may function as advertised but the fact that the company releases a product that looked like the parts were welded by a student.Again,just my opinion.I had intentions of purchasing one-handled it and promptly chose not to buy.

Posts: 5 | Location: Northern NewJersey | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote