THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    The opposite of Magnumitis - download the 7mm RM?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The opposite of Magnumitis - download the 7mm RM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Magnum-itis. But I don't really NEED a Magnum. Nope, don't need one at all really. I do kinda need to fill a hole in the safe, and I'm reasonably sure that the 7mm bullet size fits the bill nicely.

But do I really NEED a Magnum? No, nope. I'm sure I don't. But scanning the pages of the gun boards indicates that I could get a 7mm Rem Mag cheaper than a similar .280 Rem. I can get more horsepower per dollar - which is the American Way, right?

'Cept I don't really WANT a Magnum.

Anyone ever download the 7mm RM to say, .280 or 7x57 levels? I'm talking 140gr. at 2900-3000fps... Maybe a 160 at 2700?

If so, what were the results like? Worth doing?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Sierra and talk to them. They gave me some reduced loads several years back. Don't have the gun anymore, so put the data away somewhere. Anyway, they can set you up with what you are looking for. I'm sure other bullet/powder makers can give you data also.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure you can dl it to any reasonable levels, but rather than go through all that agony, why not just get a 7-08 and be done with it?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agony? 57.0 grains of AA4350 or 52.0 grains of IMR 4320 shoot just fine at 2700 fps out of my 7MM Rem mag under 160 grain bullets. Been shooting loads at this level for years from my 7x57. (velocity not powder charges)

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But do I really NEED a Magnum? No, nope. I'm sure I don't. But scanning the pages of the gun boards indicates that I could get a 7mm Rem Mag cheaper than a similar .280 Rem. I can get more horsepower per dollar - which is the American Way, right?

'Cept I don't really WANT a Magnum.

Rick:

I'm not in agony, I like magnums, but read his post, and I repeat, "'Cept I don't really WANT a Magnum." If he doesn't want a magnum and wants a 7mm why not get a handier short action 7-08 was my thought? His only concern seems to be that he thinks he can get a 7 Mag cheaper than a .280, maybe or maybe not, but he can sure get a 7-08 for the same price as a 7 mag, I know. I don't care if he loads down or up, I'm just replying to his post.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/7mmremmag_y.php

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you "have to have" a 7mm, and do not want a magnum then do as others have suggested get a 7mm-08.

It is a great cartridge...

Me, I just use the 308 WCF. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer the question of being able to down load a 7mag to 280 levels: yes you can. It is not much gap between the two. I would just use a starting load from any manual. I have a question. Can you load a 7-08 up to 7 mag levels? Didn't think so. Based on that wouldn't the mag be more versatile?

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsmit50:
To answer the question of being able to down load a 7mag to 280 levels: yes you can. It is not much gap between the two. I would just use a starting load from any manual. I have a question. Can you load a 7-08 up to 7 mag levels? Didn't think so. Based on that wouldn't the mag be more versatile?

dsmit50 hit on something I didn't quite recognize. Flexibility. You can always download a round...but load up? There are limits. I don't see the need to have a full-house loaded 7RM in my safe as much as I can see a .280 Rem. Or, for that matter, a 7x57 could do it in a long action or Ruger #1 to take advantage of near 280 case case capacity.

It must just be me: I guess I'm a tad miffed that 280's ain't more populare

Regards,

Robert

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have several rifles and don't necessarily think the 7mmRM is a cannon. I have a Brown Precision in that chambering and it is the cat's meow. Just get it and shoot factory loads in it. They will probably in the end give you the velocity you are expecting. Mine is a death ray on whitetails, antelope, mulies, heck everything I've shot. And I am primarily a big bore man. When is gets bigger than a deer it gets a .338

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Sure you can dl it to any reasonable levels, but rather than go through all that agony, why not just get a 7-08 and be done with it?

I couldn't agree more. You can certainly download accurate rounds at those vel. levels, but I wouldn't buy a rifle w/ the intent of downloading it. Just buy a 7-08 or a 280/7x64 & be done with it. If you are intent on downloading the Big7, H4350 will give you good service.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Get a .280 Wink

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady's manual lists several loads that are below 7-08 standard velocities. The 7 Rem is a dream. I own two. I download it to 2900fps quite often.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to use lighter loads to ease the pain on the barrel. I load my 7RM to max using RL22 and 140-160 grain bullets. Loaded thusly it seems a bit much for deer though.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

one of us
posted Hide Post
150 Sierra BT/ 48gr/ IMR4895

I came across this load several years ago on some forum. On a whim, I tried it in my 7Mag 'cause all the components happened to be on the loading bench. It's a real tack driver in my rifle. Velocity is about 2650. It's easy on the shoulder and flattens hogs and deer. And allows me to stay familiar with the rifle.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
150 Sierra BT/ 48gr/ IMR4895

I came across this load several years ago on some forum. On a whim, I tried it in my 7Mag 'cause all the components happened to be on the loading bench. It's a real tack driver in my rifle. Velocity is about 2650. It's easy on the shoulder and flattens hogs and deer. And allows me to stay familiar with the rifle.

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

BTW, thanks all for the comments!

Regards,

Robert

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Buy a 7 Mag and load it soft is not the right choise for me. I would like to buy a "normal" 7mm.
In the world you'll find a lot of 7mm, one or an other is the same... I like the .280 Rem loadet with 140g bullet.

Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well anyone can say anything they wish to about 7MM RM loaded up or down it's the second best selling cartridge next to 30/06 .

I've been using one for 40 years still have both shoulders as well as the very first 7MM RM I purchased .

I never understood why some people feel it's necessary to " Proof " load every round that sails down the bore of any weapon !?.

I use 26-2700 FPS 130-150 grain loads for many things , when I need a Longer more powerful shot I use near Max load with 160-180 Grain pill .

Yes it smarts some what but I only shoot 1-5 of those a year so WHO CARES .Besides it's usually Cold and I've got a Jacket and gear on along with a real quality butt pad it's minimal recoil .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:
I like to use lighter loads to ease the pain on the barrel. I load my 7RM to max using RL22 and 140-160 grain bullets. Loaded thusly it seems a bit much for deer though.

Yeah, but loaded to full velocity you get a lot of bang/flops on whitetail. Don't have to kick all those rattlers and moccasins out of the way looking for my deer. I love it.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta love them BF's. If you use the 150 grain Ballistic tip at 2700 fps you still get em.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I download a 7 Rem Mag for an older gentleman locally every year....

We use 40 grains of IMR 4198, with a 139 or 140, or 150 grain bullet.. whatever he shows up with....

I just got the load off of an older IMR brown sheet with load data for each powder, for each cartridge....

I think the MV was like 2500 or 2600 fps...

RL 7 substitutes nicely also for the same application...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 7mm RM with the intention to down load as I don't like magnum noise, muzzle blast or recoil. The rifle in question was a Sako Classic which is not available in a smaller 7mm.

I will use an Accurate powder (can't remember the number) which is a bulky powder well suited to down loading according to the manafacturer. Using PUBLISHED data from Accurates book I noted I can get 7x57 velocities with 140s.

One word of warning. Do not be tempted to load charges less than book data of any powder for fear of experiencing flash over/detonation and consequent risk of injury/damage

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Steve Riccardelli's site lists 43 grains of IMR 4198 as max load with a 150 grain bullet in the 7 Rem Mag...

and 35 grains of SR 4759 as max load with the same bullet and same application...

you can easily use large rifle primers with either load...

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone ever download the 7mm RM to say, .280 or 7x57 levels?

I'm not through with load development with one of my 7RMs(Sendero SFII), but while tinkering with a few loads I loaded some light H4350 loads under 150 MKs and was surprised at the tiny groups and speed consistency. Can't remember the exact load offhand, but want to say the velocity was in the 2900fps range.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Soemtimes using powders slower than one would usually use in a given cartridge, will also produce some amazingly tight groups...

if one has a shot out 30/30, try using a full load of H 4350 or H4831.... your velocity of course will be slower, but if accuracy is what you are looking for, slow powders in cartridges that usually are supposed to prefer mid range burn rates will give surprisingly good results..

John Quincy Adams

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to have Magnumitis (and still own a lot of the rifles), but now my favorite hunting rifle is a M70 FWT in 7x57.

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy yourself the 7 RM. Load it light just like you said. I've had one for 40 years (and several others along the way. All accurate with lots of differnt loads, all fully capable as elk/moose rifles if need be. But now I shoot a 375 for elk - it really talks loud to them. When I pull the trigger I KNOW something has happened.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 7wsm, which is basically the same cartridge as a 7mag. There is only one gr capacity difference. I use 120 tsx's for deer with 53 gr of RL15. A shooters dream at about 3000 fps. When I want more, 68 gr of RL22 and a 140 partition really puts some smack on 'em.

posted Hide Post
Did I mention that the loads hit within an inch of each other at 200 yards? thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shumba:
I used to have Magnumitis (and still own a lot of the rifles), but now my favorite hunting rifle is a M70 FWT in 7x57.

That sounds very, very reasonable. Isn't reloading great, one can tailer one's load according the current hunting conditions and state of mind.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote