THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    How long does it take to put a custom rifle together?!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long does it take to put a custom rifle together?!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a Sako .338 action in November of last year. What would the average time be for installation of a Shilen barrel, French Grey coating, and creation and installation of a custom thumbhole stock in laminate grey/black/white????

I have been waiting for 5 months and was told by the gunsmith that it might take another 3 or 4 months before everything is done and the rifle is ready.

We are talking the creation of a rifle here, not awaiting the birth of a baby. Does this really have to take 9 months??????

Does anyone have any similar experiences???

Love to hear from ya...

Marianne

one of us
posted Hide Post
3-36 mo, depending.
I'd say if you can get all that done in 9 mo and it's like you like it, you 'dun good.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ditto Bwana-Be. In addition to working on guns, most of these guys actually mow their own grass, do their own phone sales (about 5% success on average) order their own parts, keep their own paperwork. repair their own equipment as required and if lucky, have a wife to spend a little time with. On top of that, good work just can't be rushed.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the above time estimates apply only if you want the rifle to look pretty as well as shoot straight.

Use a Savage 110 action, and give up on CRF and you can have your custom rifle in about a week, but it won't be pretty. It WILL shoot straight, however.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Finding a good gunsmith makes finding a wife looks like childsplay. Ask around , use this , go to the best gun store in your area , then hope for the best. Don't give a dunce a 2nd chance! Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a gunsmith in town does good work but if he said 6mos add afew got another if he said 6mos you have it in 4 mos. One wants to turn a dollar the other his work.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends, sometimes they can un-expectadly e-mail you and say a project is finished when you did not expect it for another 12 or so months !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Chances are, if the guy is good. he's backlogged. Waiting for your turn in line is a lot of the time envolved. I would call him and ask for yourself. He should volunteer this information freely. If he doesn't want to talk openly and honestly with you. You might want to ask for your gun back. If he tells you what you need to know, but doesn't want to talk about your last hunting trip, be understandable. Time is money to these guys. I've had a few guns built over the years and the ones I've enjoyed most were built by smiths I had a good re-pour with.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
It all depends on who you're dealing with. I've waited over two years on occasion, and sometimes more than that.

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rarely does your gunsmith have the components on hand you need for your project so delays are inevitable. He must order them and then proceed forward. I just had a gun rebarreled and it took 4 months to get the barrel. It was just bad luck timing wise with Shilen. I would be concerned about my smiths work if he wasn't backlogged at least six months. Good luck with your new "baby". thumb

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Here is how my local guy does it.

He takes in the work. Then he waits until he gets at least two more, so he can get the discount for ordering three barrels at a time.

Then he waits to get a couple of more actions before he sends them off to get finished (color case hardened in my case). Then he sets up the lathe, and chambers them all. Only then does he put it all together.

In other words, it's not a one-up deal, it's a batch system, and if you come in with the wrong timing, it can take a long, long, time. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I have a great gunsmith, and am comfortable with his decisions. This is my first custom-built rifle, and nine months, somehow, seemed excessive. But I don't want to seem impatient, though clearly I am, nor do I want to rush him, though clearly I do, because I am impatient! I had wanted the rifle for my spring bear hunt, but was already informed that it would not be ready.

Aside from that, I will have a loaner rifle, a Marlin 450, for my upcoming bear hunt, so a few more months of waiting won't make a difference.

Now I just need help on figuring out what factory ammunition I need for this bear hunt for the Marlin 450.

As always, thanks for sharing!

Marianne

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
The last rifle I had made was from a nice fellow up in Stevensville, Montana. If I recall correctly, I think it took almost a year for him to get my gun back to me, but it's a true masterpiece as far as I'm concerned, and I've been very satisfied with it.

You get what you pay (and wait) for. If someone's backlogged, and says you'll have to take a number, that's generally a good sign.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the guys are all hitting it on the head. to be cost effective the smiths should wait till they have a few to do before getting a step done. so that could very well be part of it. But don't forget that you asked for a thumbhole stock on a 338, the guy is probably torn between doing it drunk to have an excuse for why he did it and the knowledge that he can't really do it drunk Big Grin

serioulsy though, good work takes time, crappy work also takes time just less of it usually. I'd rather wait 2 years on it being right than 3 months on it being wrong. My stepfather has his marlin at the local smiths for them to install a new rear sight he bought for it, think it's been there over 2 months and he still odens't have it back (and these guys aren't very good) but they are backlogged becauase more business than there are smiths. at least your guy is honest with you and told you that it is going to take a while.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I had my custom .280 Rem. built, it was promised to be done in three months. Shouldn't have been any kind of delays as all the pieces to put the gun together were furnished by me. Probably would have gotten it on time too, except the gunsmith hurt his back, had surgery, and it was a year and a half before I got my gun. Sometimes, things beyond our control just happen.
I had a .270 in for restocking and the gunsmith died. You should have seen the hassle I went through just to get my gun back. No, it hasn't been restocked, and it is still ugly as hell with it's Weatherby/California style stock. I got around to doing a half ass glass bed job on it and it's now so darn accurate that I don't dare change anything. it's still ugly though.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If he actually gets it to you in 9mos that's a pretty good time line. I've waited that long & been unhappy w/ the work. I now have a gunsmith that is an artist & a business man, very rare. If I need something done in 6 weeks, he'll do it, but I never put him out. I may need a real favor sometime & then I'll ask. Waterat was absolutely right, whne you find a good gunsmith, make him your friend & treat him like close family. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9 months is fine if the smith is good and trusted as yours is.

Remember - 9 women can't have a baby in a month and if you are buying oats, the ones that have already been through the horse are quicker and cheaper.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marianne,
Just use the factory Hornady 350 grain load in the Marlin 450. It will hit the bear like the Hammer of Thor.
My brother is using that same bullet in his 45/70 handloaded to 450 Marlin ballistics. Our hunt is in June, when is yours?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say nine months is not so bad. I got my last one done in that, but it was a straightforward deal and it's the type of job my guy specializes in. Darn thing shoots like a laser, too. Also, remember that custom rifles don't always come out right. I like to see a year of flawless performance before I take a new custom hunting, because some problems take that long to surface. I would not plan a hunt around getting a rifle by a certain date.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
My 700 Nitro double has been on order from H&H for 18 months already...looks like it'll be another 18 before I get it! Razzer

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Marianne,
Just use the factory Hornady 350 grain load in the Marlin 450. It will hit the bear like the Hammer of Thor.
My brother is using that same bullet in his 45/70 handloaded to 450 Marlin ballistics. Our hunt is in June, when is yours?

N E, my bear hunt is from May 25 till May 30 somewhere near Quebec. Hubby arranged the hunt, so, in true male fashion, he only has the address, phone number, some vague directions, and the date to be there! :-)

I am looking forward to it, this will be my first bear hunt.

Good luck on your hunt!

Marianne