New
Find
Notify
Tools

flanged 30 cal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real PITA is, of course, that were your double rifle in 308 Winchester you could simply just use 307 Winchester brass and be done with it all.

I would maybe try contacting Bruce Bertram and see if he has any ideas re non-headstamped brass.

Ironically I think that when it is initially "struck" in the dies that some maker's 30-06 actually did have a rim that is then turned off!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that if you still can get .405 cases it's almost a size and load situation. Trim and neck turning are a maybe. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sfhr:
So, what do you do about it??

Well, you asked.....

Always go about things the proper way, especially with firearms. Best course of action listed first, then alternates following.

1. Have the rifle repaired so the extractors work as they should. If the gun cannot be repaired then go to course of action #2 below.

2. Rechamber to a cartridge that will work and is headstamped for what it actually is (30R Blaser for example). When the chamber is cut have the barrel marked appropriately. If the license and permit process to change calibers is too onerous then move to course of action #3 below.

3. Get a different firearm that works as it is supposed to, one that won't be such a headache. Even Baikal makes guns for rimmed cartridges.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
True, of course, and I do understand exactly what you mean.

1. The extractors work, I just don't like them. I want the cases to fall out like they do on my 12 bore. The ejector pin that catches the case makes it catch on the sides of the brass.

2. Can do, and might yet, but would be nice not to have to change from .30-06. I like .30-06! Less machining would be easier and simpler as well.

3. Trust me, in this country you do not want to have to justify to a firearms office why you need a different caliber ("want" won't cut it!) Yes, Baikal does make a flanged 45-70 but they are like rocking horse poo here, pretty hard to find. To you and me, a 45-70 is just a big, slow old fashioned round thats kinda cool. Here, its a cannon. shocker I'd never get it approved.

So, that leaves me to talk to my gunsmith next week and see what is the best option for me.

Does anybody know if rechambering to a .300 H&H Flanged will clear the .30-06 chamber?? If so, if only for the ability to say "Its a .300 H&H" when asked, it might be worth doing! If they look askance at the low quality of my double, I could say I found it on the scrap heap behind 33 Bruton St., London ;-)

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. The extractors work, I just don't like them. I want the cases to fall out like they do on my 12 bore. The ejector pin that catches the case makes it catch on the sides of the brass.

I can understand the reason why it is annoying to you...but...I can't see that just experimenting with the ejector pin shape won't solve the problem.

Use copies of course, don't mess with the originals! That may solve the problem. If not I'd try as hard as possible to go down a "rimmed 30-06" route.

Either see what Bruce Bertram can offer or look and if 7x65R brass can be neck sized up, run through a 30-06 die to set any shoulder back and then fire-formed with cream of wheat.

You could always overstamp the calibre marking anyway.

I certainly WOULD NOT go the 300 H & H Flanged route.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:

Either see what Bruce Bertram can offer or look and if 7x65R brass can be neck sized up, run through a 30-06 die to set any shoulder back and then fire-formed with cream of wheat.

You could always overstamp the calibre marking anyway.

I certainly WOULD NOT go the 300 H & H Flanged route.

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. Pardon my ignorance but, who is Bruce Bertram??

And why not 300H&H Flanged? Not disagreeing, just curious why?

Cheers!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sfhr:
[QUOTE]

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. Pardon my ignorance but, who is Bruce Bertram??Cheers!

Bertram makes Brass and some of it like the .404 I got was a bit soft. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruce Bertram is the owner of Bertram Brass an Australian company that makes cartridge cases on the old Greenwood and Batley machinery.

In the UK Henry Krank of Pudsey import his products.

I would not use 300 H & H Flanged as it is a significantly larger case that 30-06. Both in base diameter and in length...critically for you the shoulder.

Thus to re-chamber your DR may result in so much metal being removed that it then fails proof as the barrel (chamber) walls are too thin.

In fact one of the best readily available and cheap rounds for a DR is 8x57R.

It will pretty much cover all the bases that a DR chambered for 30-06 will do and even take a heavier weight bullet.

But I would imagine that your 30-06 is regulated for a particular bullet weight?

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
In fact one of the best readily available and cheap rounds for a DR is 8x57R.

It will pretty much cover all the bases that a DR chambered for 30-06 will do and even take a heavier weight bullet.

But I would imagine that your 30-06 is regulated for a particular bullet weight?

Great! Thanks for the info (and the pm!). One of the cool things about this inexpensive DR is you can change the regulation easily. There is a small wheel between the barrels that allows you to regulate it yourself. You can even change the vertical regulation if it should get a bit wonky when changing bullet weights. Okay, its hardly a work of art but it cost 300 Pounds, not 30,000!

As these guns use the same barrels for the 45-70 version, how does the case of the 300H&H compare to the 45-70? (And before somebody asks, NO, I'm not going to try and take it buffalo hunting! Roll Eyes ) Just curious as to the physical size difference and know you guys are a lot smarter than me on this!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't you use half moon clips and normal flanged type extractors, as I believe tht some revolvers using 45 ACP ammo use - but given that I am in the UK you can only read about these. And can the extractor on your baikal easily be modified to a flanged type extractor.

Whilst I know it is nice to be able to turn the barrel up and cartridge slides out, ask yourself how many times in the field do you need more than one shot, or given that you have a double two shots. I have a 410 double with pitted chambers and empties stick I can still relaod pretty quickly - the empties need a firm pull, and often assistance from a pair of pliers!

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

Whilst I know it is nice to be able to turn the barrel up and cartridge slides out, ask yourself how many times in the field do you need more than one shot, or given that you have a double two shots.

Depends where you hunt.

Ever come across a mob of 10 - 20 pigs ?

I know he is in the UK but they go hunting a lot in Europe
and get big mobs of pigs as we do here.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote