THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Ruger's newest caliber 338 Lapua

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger's newest caliber 338 Lapua
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking through the 2006 Ruger catalog it shows the 338 Lapua available in the RSM's. Now knowing Ruger's bad habit of claiming to offer something and letting us wait for...ohh...say 4-5 years before we see them, what are the chances of this really coming to fruition. bewildered

I'm not really a fan of the 338 Lapua, but in an RSM you could take the 338 Lapua and have it rebored to one of RIP's Lapua based 'cats.

You get to keep the excellently appointed Ruger barrel, and get into a neat wildcat for the cost of a rebore. cheers

Mark

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a Ruger, I'll believe it when I have one to shoot. Would be a nice stable mate for my 458 Lott though.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see the advantage of the Lapua over the 338 RUM, so what's the point? Ruger needs to wake up, we NEED CRF for the RUMs, not esoteric exspensive foreign rounds!

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the 338 Lapua you get stronger better brass, better feeding case design, no rebated rim and better world wide availability. Yes the brass is more expensive but the RSM isn't exactly the cheapest Ruger out there either. If you can afford the rifle you can afford the brass, and it lasts forever. The 338 Lapua is simply a better round than the 338 Ultra.............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The quality of the brass for the Lapua is undeniable,but its doubtful the popularity of the Lapua will ever overtake the Ultra Mag in the States.Most in the market for a potent 338 will neck up the 300 RUM to 338,giving a definate advantage over the Lapua.

Posts: 12 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe but being a standard issue Military round usually ensures a chambering to be around for a while. Unfortunately the 338 RUM good though it may be is teetering on the edge of cancelation and wildcats aren't for everyone.
My personal favorite is probably the 330 Dakota but it is also a limited availability round. I wish more rifle makers would pick it up......DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sabot:
I don't see the advantage of the Lapua over the 338 RUM, so what's the point? Ruger needs to wake up, we NEED CRF for the RUMs, not esoteric exspensive foreign rounds!

VERY GOOD CALL!!! clap I have been cruising the online auction joints and gunsamerica for months now, and I have only seen one Winnie CRF 300 RUM. I just didnt want to spend over $700 for a rifle at the time, didnt really see it as a deal.

As far as Ruger putting out a Lapua, that is pretty cool. True the round isnt going anywhere since our wonderful Marines and Army soldiers are using it to shoot through brick walls to kill terrorists. And, opening one of em up to shoot a 470 Lapua would be pretty cool too.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd might go for one. I really like my RSMs and I like my Sako 338 Lapua so the combo is tempting. For NA hunting I'd put on a synthetic stock and try to get the weight down-a 10.5lb RSM is great for a 458 Lott but I don't want that in a 338!

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
has anyone re-stocked thier TRG-s? what stock did you use?

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of restocking my TRG-S in 338 Laupa, in a McMillian stock. McMillian is the only option I can find in a syn stock. This is becuse they have bottom metal.

Seringetti has laminated stocks and bottom metal. Seringetti makes the bottom metal for McMillian, and will only sell it with a stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted the Ruger in a Weatherby 338-378.I already have about 1400 psc of brass.Can the Ruger handle the 338-378 or is the magazine or bolt too small.I do like those big Rugers.I could kick my butt .I passed up a 375 for $750.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
dgr416
You should be able to rebarrel a Ruger 77 416 rigby to 338-378 with very minor modification.

IMHO you would be better served by rebarreling a CZ 416 Rigby or better yet just get a CZ action in 416 bolt face and build a custom. then you wont have to deal with the CZ's stock.
Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's great that Ruger is coming out with the Lapua 338. It doesn't have the fps the 338 RUM has tho. I own the 300 Rum and 338 RUM.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jro45:
I think it's great that Ruger is coming out with the Lapua 338. It doesn't have the fps the 338 RUM has tho. I own the 300 Rum and 338 RUM.

Huh? The 338 Lapua is a substantially more powerful round than the 338 RUM. It has 140+ FPS or so more with the same weight bullets. It also has a larger case capacity.............DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Quickload's data, the 338 RUM has about 2 grains more capacity than the 338 Lapua.

Of course the Lapua case has a lot more "room for improvement" though.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon A:
According to Quickload's data, the 338 RUM has about 2 grains more capacity than the 338 Lapua.

Of course the Lapua case has a lot more "room for improvement" though.

Like blowing it out to 470 or 510 and a rebarrel. Wait, wrong forum... Razzer

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it won't be the first time Quickload is wrong about something. Wait till you check out Quickload on 458 Lott..................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
VERY GOOD CALL!!! clap I have been cruising the online auction joints and gunsamerica for months now, and I have only seen one Winnie CRF 300 RUM. I just didnt want to spend over $700 for a rifle at the time, didnt really see it as a deal.

A local outlet here had some and couldn't give them away... and the price was $429.00....most sold here in town were being bought to rebarrel to something else according to the sporting good counter...

They also ended up with a bunch of Model 700 ADLS in 270 Win SM and 300 WinShort Mag....had trouble selling those also...

I just think the public is leary of a new Winchester Cartridge in a Remington Action and a new Remington Cartridge in a Winchester Action...
bewildered

who knows???

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Well it won't be the first time Quickload is wrong about something.

Well it isn't wrong about the capacity of the 338 RUM being about 111 grains of water as this is this is about exactly what numerous people have measured the cases at. How much capacity are you saying the (un-improved) Lapua has?

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Lapua Brass held 117grs of water as I measured them this morning.
Also the Barnes #3 loads the same bullets and powder into both and the Lapua is again about 140fps faster, the same difference listed in some of the factory loads.
I have 2 338 Lapua's but not a 338 RUM yet. But in comparing my velocities to my Buddies RUM we got about the same velocity differences. I don't have his data in front of me to be exact. - I called him to try and get him to water weigh his 338 RUM cases but poor guy was sicker than a dog today, it will have to wait on that respect....... Smiler Smiler.......DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sammi has the Lapua listed under the RUM. The RUM can go to 65000 psi I don't know what the Lapua can go to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just weighted the RUM case. It holds 113.8 grs of water. The Lapua holds 3.2 grs more water then the RUM does. Big deal!!!!! All in fun. I don't shoot Barnes bullets too much copper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m stevenson:
Looking through the 2006 Ruger catalog it shows the 338 Lapua available in the RSM's. Now knowing Ruger's bad habit of claiming to offer something and letting us wait for...ohh...say 4-5 years before we see them, what are the chances of this really coming to fruition. bewildered

I'm not really a fan of the 338 Lapua, but in an RSM you could take the 338 Lapua and have it rebored to one of RIP's Lapua based 'cats.

You get to keep the excellently appointed Ruger barrel, and get into a neat wildcat for the cost of a rebore. cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark. I've been asleep at the wheel.
Love those Rugers!

My first bolt action was an M77 .30-06 and it still shoots 1/2 MOA.

Ruger may be my next and next and next ... rifle too if they keep this up. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lapua case lenght: 2.724"
Rum case lenght: 2.760"
Any more questions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to order a catalog.

what bbl. length are they listing for it?

are they also offering it in a #1? if so, what variation?

Thanks

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the RSM was originally designed for the 416 Rigby the 338 Lapua is a natural fit since it was originally based on the 416 Rigby case. The magazine is tapered to match the taper of the Rigby case. For other rounds such as 458 Lott the magzine box narrows in the rear and is different. The Lott feeds OK but not quite as well as it could with a better magazine box design......................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP, you're welcome. I'm undecided at this point whether to try to buy an RSM in 338 Lapua and have it rebored (probably in 458), or use one of my VZ24 actions and build it up in 458 AR.
Both cartridges look very interesting, I just haven't made up my mind. I've been watching your's and Jeffe's design progress, and enjoyed the banter back and forth between you two. Smiler

I've been around here for a few years, but almost never post. Preferring to learn rather than join in.

Ken Cline, I only saw the RSM models and frankly didn't even look in the #1 section. I just thought it interesting, and decided to post on it.

Mark

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pulled up the catalog online........the only gun they are showing the Lapua in is the RSM. They don't list it for the #1.

They are only showing the RSM as having a 23" barrel though, but that can't be right?????

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
quote:
Originally posted by Sabot:

As far as Ruger putting out a Lapua, that is pretty cool. True the round isnt going anywhere since our wonderful Marines and Army soldiers are using it to shoot through brick walls to kill terrorists. And, opening one of em up to shoot a 470 Lapua would be pretty cool too.

I was working at Sportsman's Warehouse about a year ago in the hunting department. We had about 2 Winchester Model 70 CRF chambered in .300RUM. We couldn't sell them for $495. We finally had two employees buy them for around $480 I think. Nobody wanted one of these. I didn't have the money at the time, Since I had two other guns on layaway. Smiler

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote