New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Norma?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to fill a gap or two. I thought long and hard about a 338 WM, but as I get older I like to simplify things. Since I don't shoot anything with 338 bullets, but I do use a 35 Whelen, I thought it would be nice to not have to keep up with more bullets.

I have everything from 30/06 down covered, but my only 2 rifles currently over 30 caliber are the 35 Whelen and 416 Taylor. I think a 358 Norma might make a good addition.

Whatcha think?

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ketchikan:
I need to fill a gap or two. I thought long and hard about a 338 WM, but as I get older I like to simplify things. Since I don't shoot anything with 338 bullets, but I do use a 35 Whelen, I thought it would be nice to not have to keep up with more bullets.

I have everything from 30/06 down covered, but my only 2 rifles currently over 30 caliber are the 35 Whelen and 416 Taylor. I think a 358 Norma might make a good addition.

Whatcha think?

Nothing wrong with the Norma and I like your logic for wanting to go that way. Another nice benefit of the Norma is that if you decide to go with a shorter barrel such as 22", your velocity loss will be minimal compared to other magnums. I also like it because not everybody has one, good choice.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
One big advantage of the .358 Norma is the ability to use cheap readily-available pistol bullets for practice at the range (an option that does not exist for the .338, 9.3 or .375).

I like my .358 Norma a lot!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a .35 Caliber nut and shoot a couple of .358 STA's that are awesome. The Norma round is also an excellent choice, the difference is approx. 200 fps per bullet. By already using the Whelen, the Norma is a step up but not to the top of the ladder. The larger case capacity of the STA round just gives you a flatter trajectory for the heavier bullets, which in my opinion makes the .35's shine, particularly on game that bites back. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good choice! If you require heavey bullets with good sectional density then try North Fork 270 grn. or Swift A Frame 280 grn.. It will provide all the killing power of the 9.3's & .375's

Posts: 33 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote