THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Ammunition recommendation for 8x57 JS requested

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammunition recommendation for 8x57 JS requested
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just collected my rifle, an 8x57 Mauser sporter with iron sights and the only ammunition that Gander Mountain had available was Remington 170 grain round nose Safari ammunition. I bought a box but when I came home and opened it, it looked pathetic. The cases were spotted in some places as if the brass was beginning to corrode for some reason and one case had small dings on it.

Would anyone here rcommend a good brand of ammunition for this rifle - if it is possible to privately order Sellier and Bellot or Prvi Partizan from somewhere, I'd like to do it. Norma would also be nice I am told, but I have no idea of the procedure for doing this. Any suggestions, please?

Thanks and good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
US made 8X57 ammo is loaded pretty light. This is because there are older 8X57 mausers with a .318 bore vs: the .323 bore of most mausers. They load them lightly in the US to preclude dangerous pressures if someone shoots them in a .318 bore. If you can buy European ammo you would get full loads. If not, you really need to load your own or have a friend load them for you. Good 8X57 loads are just under a 30-06 in ballistics. I really like my sporterized K98 Mauser. I also have an original condition K98 and a Yugo M48. They are fun to shoot.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mehulkamdar,

I recently purchased a new Remington 700 Classic in 8x57.

I wanted to try out some "European level loads" instead

of the underloaded American 8x57 ammo. I looked at all of

the European factory ballistics charts that I could find

and discovered that RWS had the highest velocity, for a

given bullet weight, followed closely by Sellier & Bellot.

The RWS brand is rather expensive but Cabelas ( www.cabelas.com )

carries the S&B 196gr 8x57JS ammo and the price is reasonable.

I tried some out in my new Remington 700 Classic.

The factory spec muzzle velocity for the S&B 196 gr Soft Point

Cutting Edge (SPCE) load is 2,592 fps.

See: http://www.sb-usa.com/rifle_pages/sba85703_spec.htm

These were the results from my chrono test of the S&B ammo

in my Rem 700 Classic with a 24" barrel:

Shot# Velocity fps

1 ___ 2,646

2 ___ 2,648

3 ___ 2,636

4 ___ 2,637

5 ___ 2,645

6 ___ 2,667

(Chrono about 15 feet from the muzzle. Velocities are not

corrected back to the muzzle. Just raw data. Close enough for me.)

Average Velocity: 2,647 fps

Energy: 3,050 ft lbs

High Velocity: 2,667 fps

Low Velocity: 2,636 fps

Extreme Spread: 31 fps

Standard Deviation: 10 fps

I was pleasantly surprised with the results. This is certainly

in the same power level range as a .30-06.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
browningguy,

Thanks for the link. The S&B ammunition they offer is sonsiderably cheaper than the Remington and I am sure it would be better as some is available in India and I have seen it in 30-06 though I have not shot it. It looked much better than the Remington ammunition that I bought here.

Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
BFaucett,

Thanks for the detailed information. I do not have a chronograph here but I would be surprised if the S&B performed badly in my rifle. I have a Mauser sporter made on a DUV 42 action with a 23 1/2 inch barrel and I hope to shoot it at the Rod and Gun Club here with my friend's daughter and her boyfriend this Sunday. I would definitely not be able to get the S&B ammunition by then but I am going to order some without fail.

Thank you for the details.

Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Val,

I have no idea at how how to handload as India bans it and you can only buy off the shelf ammunition.

Thanks for the advice and yes, I am going to buy S&B which is Czech or Prvi Partizan (Yugoslavian) ammunition for my rifle when I find some.

Good hunting!

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
BFaucett, I am considering purchasing an 8x57 Classic and would like any opinons you might have on overall fit and finish, and accuracy if possible. I was quoted S540 plus tax for the rifle new.

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sellier and Bellot rifle ammo is tops for some time. Excellent accuracy! The yugo ammo might surprise you, 06 FMJ just outshot every Federal I tried!

For hunting ammo: RWS TUG ( expensive! ), Norma, Blaser ( these all belong together in the same company RUAG, Switzerland. Add Hirtenberg ).

If you handload: Nosler 200 grs Partition ( Speer 200 for working up first and smaller game ) and 4064, 4350 or the VV powders, I think 140, 150, 160.

Some ammo sold as surplus or Match has Boxer primers, this is usually stated and makes zthe ammo slightly more expensive. Buy 250 to 500, for plinking and then reloading.

Have fun and don�t change the caliber! A top load with the 200 Part will take care of anything in America, Europe and most of Africa!

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Poster: x-51

BFaucett, I am considering purchasing an 8x57 Classic and would like any opinons you might have on overall fit and finish, and accuracy if possible. I was quoted S540 plus tax for the rifle new.

x-51,

Well, I'm sure you've seen the arguments on various A/R threads about the pros and cons of Remington 700 rifles. Some people really like them and some say they are junk. Well, whatever. Personally, there are things I don't like about the Model 700 such as the two position safety that does not lock the bolt when the safety is engaged. Also, I'm not a big fan of the Remington extractor. And I hate the new J lock. But, all that aside, the Model 700 is not a bad rifle.

I wanted my Classic mainly for the chambering this year (8x57). I like the old cartridges and the history and nostalgia associated with them. Plus, there is nothing wrong ballistically with many of the old cartridges. Examples from my battery: .30-06, 8x57, 9.3x62, .300 H&H, .375 H&H, etc.

Personally, I think Remington's quality is not what it used to be. My Classic has more of a matt blue finish that a glossy blue (not necessarily a bad thing if you like matt finishes). The trigger pull is extremely hard out of the box. I haven't measured the pull on a scale but it feels hard. A harder trigger pull, out of the box, than any of the Ruger M77 rifles that I own. The wood is average but I like the Classic's stock's lines and feel.

The rifle feels well balanced. The 24" barrel is nice and it seems to help the velocity. (See my post above about the S&B ammo). And it seems like this rifle is going to be accurate. I haven't really gotten it broken in yet, or done hardly any handload development, but I've already gotten some good groups with it (around 1 inch or so at 100 yds) with one handload that I'm working on. And that's with the out-of-the-box trigger.

For the price, I paid around $535 for mine, I don't think it is a bad deal. It's a keeper for me. I'll get a trigger job done and maybe have it glass bedded. I can always have the J lock replaced if I want to but that's just more of a cosmetic issue.

So, if you like the 8x57, I think you'll like this year's Remington Classic. Just be prepared to spend a little money on a trigger job. I'm enjoying playing with the 8x57 cartridge. It's just fun to have something a little different.

Just my two cents worth...

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A German company called Metalwerken makes excellent ammo for the 8x57, but I haven't a clue where you would purchase it now. RWS is also top notch stuff. How about DWM? I think you're much better off reloading it yourself. The ammo we produce in North America is anemic at best, mainly due to all the old military rifles still around. I'm getting the Remington Classic in 8x57 also. I think it's one of the best calibers ever created. We know little about the caliber here and are leery of things we're not familiar with. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Just another note on the S&B SPCE ammunition. I've been using it extensively in my 7x57 the past two seasons and it's accounted for a large Japanese Sika and a medium bodied Axis with one shot. The Sika was at 165 yd.s and the SPCE bullet went through both shoulders and exited. I do think they expand almost too violently, the Texas Dall I shot last weekend had an exit wound about 3" diameter. The shot was a little high through the lungs at 135 yds.

It's not the most accurate ammunition in my rifle, shooting between 1 - 1 1/8" but really gets the job done.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote