Notify
Tools

7X64 any users of this caliber?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted
Hi all,

I want to have a rifle with this caliber (7X64).

I already know bullet weights, velocity,...

I just want some feedback from users of this caliber. Meat damages, accuracy, best shots long/short,...

Many thanks for your input.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On what game (in what size / weight) do you intend to use it ?

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beroo7

Most of the 7x57 data here is 7x64 factory speed [Wink] so merely peruse people's 7x57 views.

Generaly the 7x64 has a slower twist so 160gr is I think the max bullet weight. Many people have argued that it is pretty much the same as 270win.

This is why I got a 7x57 - if your other rifles are 300winmag and 9.3x62 don't you owe it to yourself to get one 'soft' round?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

I don't know anyone who has a 7X64 but I have several friends who uses 280 rem which is the same deal. It seems to work best with bullets 140-160 grains. I have plans on building my self a 280 rem, whu not a 280 ackley??
I have plans on using mine for roebuck, mufflon and fallow deer.

Cheers
JOHAN

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
carcano91,

On what game (in what size / weight) do you intend to use it ?
[/QUOTE]

Mainly one red deer,roe-deer and similar size animal (about 250 kg).

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have just started shooting a .280 Rem. which is a balistic twin to the 7x64. Willem Koch, my PH in RSA, shoots one as a backup rifle for plainsgame hunts & told me he only likes his .375h&h better. In Europe it seems to be loaded for 160-175gr bullets, where the .280 here in the states, is loaded w/ the 140-150 for the most part. I am leaning toward the 160gr as an all round med. big game round. If I get lucky this fall, I'll post results.
I would think either effective on deer size game out to 400yds & elk size game, w/ good bullets, to 250yds (JMO).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a Sako in 7 x64, I been shooting Federal 160 gr Nosler Loadings in it. It shoots very nice. The only reason I bought it was because its a Sako AV. It came with a 3x-9x Ziess on it. I have only shot two deer in the time I had it. Two shots thru the lungs, Outside of a couple of broken rib was the only meat damage. I would hunt any game up to Elk and Moose with it or take it as a light rifle for africa. Then again you can get just about the same performance from a whole bunch of cartridges from .25-06 to the small 7mm Magnums. I like it because its just off the wall enough, here in the States that chances are it will be the only one in Camp. Now if I just can get one in 9.3 x 62. Dam importer will not bring them in to the US.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7x64 is available with bullets up to ~ 175 grs. For the biggest game you might shoot with this round, use RWS 175 grs TUG. There is also a 10.5g TUG, which is considered a good all - around bullet. Same weight KS bullet, for lesser game ( smaller Red deer ).

Norma makes excellent bullets for that caliber. For reloading there are the Nosler�s. Also factory loaded by Hirtenberg. Then there is Lapua. The Rem and Federal loadings are WEAK! Forget them. PMP and Yugo ( SJ ) ammo also available.

Why should the stronger 7x64 use not the same bullets as the 7x57 ??? Never heard that before.

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Correct, 7x64 is the ballistic twin of the .280 Rem, the main difference being rifling twist as the 7x64's faster twist shoots best with 160-175 gn bullets (in my experience, accuracy falls off below 150 gn). It's my "bread and butter gun" for Roe where I chose 160 gn as a compromise between accuracy and expansion. I've killed 5-6 Red stags with it but had to chase one of them, shot >250 m with Norma Vulkan bullets that didn't expand, so I switched to .300 Mags for long range (why bother when one has the choice). The 7x64 is a little more temperemental to handload but is capable of outstanding accuracy. My Sauer 202 routinely keeps 5 bullets <.75 MOA with about any pill weighting between 160-175 gn. To date its best results come with 175 Hornady's :
 -

[ 06-13-2002, 14:44: Message edited by: Andr� Mertens ]

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi i have an old merkel 7x64 that is surplus to my collection, it has rings but needs a scope if you are interested. i think it is a commercial mauser with a butter knife bolt handle. light engraving. no worries.

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
George, I just missed the boat on an Sako AV in 9.3x62. The gentleman was asking $1150.00 - a fair price considering how rare it is. However, there are 1 or 2 Sako 9.3 x62 Mannlichers on Guns America, but they're on the 691 action and Kurt wants $1400-$1600. If they were on the AV action, I would probably snag one. I am pissed that I missed the AV. [Mad]

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Safarischorsch>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by aHunter:
7x64 is available with bullets up to ~ 175 grs. For the biggest game you might shoot with this round, use RWS 175 grs TUG. There is also a 10.5g TUG, which is considered a good all - around bullet. Same weight KS bullet, for lesser game ( smaller Red deer ).

Norma makes excellent bullets for that caliber. For reloading there are the Nosler�s. Also factory loaded by Hirtenberg. Then there is Lapua. The Rem and Federal loadings are WEAK! Forget them. PMP and Yugo ( SJ ) ammo also available.

Why should the stronger 7x64 use not the same bullets as the 7x57 ??? Never heard that before.

Hermann

<Safarischorsch>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by aHunter:

Hermann

Because the very light and soft bullets from the 7x57 will be quite brutal in 7x64 and will not penitrate deep enough. But for the USA the 175gr TIG will be an excellent choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Georg, the answer was directly related to the statement: why would the x64 not shoot heavy bullets? ( 1894 )

But I also stated about premium bullets and recommended 10.5 TUG and 175 grs NP.

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote