Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x66 Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After 3 years it has arrived.
Robert de Vries did the metal work and Ross Waghorn the wood work.
German single set trigger,hand made bases for the Talley rings on the 1.5x5 Leupold
with intergral pop-up peep,folding leaf as well.
Sights regulated by maker for 320 gn solids Woodleigh.Had to fly interstate twice for a fitting.If she shoots as good as she looks it was worth it.
Please ignore the date stamp

[IMG]

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a beauty thumb
Well worth waiting for I recon...

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, good stuff.

Would not mind having a try with that nice a rifle.

Open sights only? Ahhh noticed when I managed to pry my eyes of the pics that it´s set up for talleys, great stuff.

/Chris

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle! Very nice. I really like that flip up peep sight too.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I am curious about the flip up peep sight - what company makes it, or is it a custom produced piece?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
NICE! Great rifle, great cartridge...

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wombat:
German single set trigger,

What is that?? A set trigger manufactured in Germany, or what??

I like the pop-up peep sight! Can you get low enough on the (high) comb to actually make use of it??

Nice stick of wood!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fantastic rifle. If you don't mind my asking, what are some of the barrel specs - twist rate, finished length, maker? Do you plan on using the 320-gr. Woodleigh for the bulk of your shooting? I've been giving this chambering some more thought now that it is being standardized here in the U.S.

Posts: 354 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wombat,
Pretty rifle ... almost too pretty to take out. Is the reamer yours or was it borrowed? Any indications how the 9.3x66 goes for speed with the 320gr yet?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purchased reamer from USA but in the end 'smith just pushed a 9.3x62 reamer in "a bit further" using the new cases I had run through my 9.3x66 reloading dies as a gauge.
Yes you can use the open sights and the scope but obviously a bit of compromise has to made to both.
Have not done any reloading myself yet
A search on AR will reveal a lot of info on the 9.3x66's performance.
Are any of the US companies doing brass yet?

Australia
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Thats a great looking rifle mate.
A great combo with the .500NE.
A friend had a Waghorn 404.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Vihta Vuori has some newly published reloading data for the 9.3x66 with the 320-gr. Woodleigh RNSP. One of their "maximum" loads is pushing it to 2400 FPS while keeping COL at 85.0 mm. That's pretty good.

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFULL.... salute

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to show you it shoots as well-this is a wilderbeast I took in Zim recently afer our elephnat hunt.

Australia
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Who makes the scope base with the sight in it?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer very well done! thanks for sharing a nice piece of work-beautiful!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to see some results on a beautiful custom built rifle!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle and interesting cartridge.
Thanks for sharing. Lou

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Guys, I was wondering, does anyone else have any experience with this cartridge? I have been toying with the idea of picking up a 9.3X66 Sako but the only source of brass I have found in Z-hat.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Dave, it's also now called the 370 Magnum. Somebody at Sako thought it would appeal to more Americans if they gave it a non-metric handle. Lou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wombat,
Beautiful rifle, congratulations.
What loads are you using?

I just got a 9.3x64 Brenneke back from the gunsmith. I plan on using 250gr TSX's exclusively, unless I ever get to chase Cape Buffalo, then I would probably look at the 320gr Woodleighs soft/solid or 286gr premiums/solids combination.

I also have some RWS factory ammo in 293gr comming, if the shipment ever clears customs. But RWS doesn't have Buffalo listed for recommended uses on their website. Just big cervids, up to moose size.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou, I was aware that the American designation was the .370 Sako Magnum. Do you know if there is any source of brass for this cartridge?

SDHunter, where are you getting brass for your 9.3X64?

These are both great cartridges but trying to find brass is a bit of a snag.

Davd

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Dave, I am sorry I don't, but I do know that Federal is loading for it. It's going for about $90 a box. If I find a source I will let you know. Lou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quality Cartridge is the only source for 9.3x66 Sako/370 Sako Mag. brass available right now. (FWIW, the brass Z-Hat sells is QC.)

In corresponding with Federal, they will not be offering brass as a component - just loaded ammo. Their factory loads use nickel-plated brass while QC's is not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
sent you a PM so as not to hijack this thread.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave Bush RWS makes brass for the 9.3x64.Huntington usually stocks it. If you have access to a small lathe 9.3x64 brass can be made from 458 win or 338 brass.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman,
Huntington's informed me a couple of weeks ago that RWS is not importing brass into the US anymore. They are only going to import factory loaded ammo.

I have spoken to Jamison International about the possibility of doing a special run. But minimum is 10,000 pieces.

That is not financially workable for me at this point. But Jamison is exploring the option with some of their other customers to get a feel for market demand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH I was not aware of that. We have a couple gunsmiths such as Ralf Martini here in Canada that have been bringing RWS brass in.You may want to contact Ralf. It is really not that difficult to make brass from 458 or 338 cases.Turn the belt off, rebate the rim and re-cut the extractor using a shellholder as your "GO" guage. I prefer to use 458 brass and at this point I size the brass in a homemade intermediate die that necks the case to 41 cal. this step can be ommitted if you use 338 brass. Size that case in the 9.3x64 size die.I have the size die backed out approx 1 1/2 turns from touching the shell holder and there is a positive 41 cal shoulder left on the case and you can feel firm contact when you close the bolt. Load and fire. Win brand brass comes out the exact weight and capacity as the RWS cases. There are a couple our brands of European 9.3x64 brass like Hirtenberger but I have never had trouble getting RWS and making cases from 458 so I have never bothered with the other brands. Old Western Scrounger has brass as well.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman,
Thanks for the info.