New
Find
Notify
Tools

opinions on double triggers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have always like the Mannlicher full stock rifles.Found one in .30-06 with double triggers.Would like to hear what you think of the guns, and triggers.
wayne

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What specific gun is it? Double triggers are common on shotguns. I sort of like them for the fun of it. For precision rifle shooting the pistol grip's length of pull is different for each trigger.

If it's not too expensive then buy it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Both my Old Styer's and my current Brno ZKW have the "double st trigger" which you appear to be alluding to. This is an interesting mechinism which greatly reduces apparent pull, but does have a penality in lock time. I love them however as the normal pull on these rifles was abissmal.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I've shot an old CZ 22 Hornet with a double trigger. From that experience I think they're great on varmint rifles that will rarely be shot away from a bench or varmint type rest. Somehow I don't think I'd like a double trigger on a big game hunting rifle. For that the simplicity of one trigger that breaks the same every time seems like a good idea. What if you're wearing gloves, would the set trigger be as easily worked, especially when you've got only seconds to take the shot?

I've also shot a new CZ in 223 with single set trigger. Again that's great on a varmint rifle, though I guess if you had to have a set trigger the single type you just push forward would be a little better on a big game rifle than the double.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have them on six of my current eight rifles. They are one of the more remarkable additions to firearms design, and have been used almost as long as shoulder arms have existed.

The pull weight can be adjusted for the set position, from frighteningly light to almost heavy. The rifle can still be fired in the unset position in an emergency, but the pull is longer and heavier. Folks used to a military trigger will have no problem.

The only DST that creates a problem for gloves is the Interarms and Whitworth models. They crammed a DST into a standard size triggerguard. Proper rifles will have a large shotgun bow.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Set triggers...don't leave home without them.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a SteyerMannlicher in .30-06. Price is reasonable for these guns.On the double set trigger:do you depress the first trigger,then the secound while still depressing the first?I have a Savage with accutrigger, were the first "trigger" is depreesed into the "main" triggger. thanks wayne

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on all brands but normally you press the rear trigger forward to set the front. Or if you don't want to use the light set, just use the rear like normal. There is usually a way to unset the trigger without firing as well. These are separate functions, do not do them together or you will definitely ding the finger on the rear trigger when the gun recoils.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On most pre-war rifles (mauser, mannlicher, etc,) you pull the rear trigger to "set" the front trigger. You then gently pull the front trigger to fire the rifle.

If you do not pull the rear trigger first, the front trigger retains its heavy pull to fire the rifle.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thank you.If I buy, hope I remember rear trigger first, when a nice deer is in the sights.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I think I stand corrected. I am trying to remember my old Thompson hawken and that was a lot of whiskey ago.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote