New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 30/06 to buy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've owned or presently own a multitude of different rifles and calibers. I have never owned a 30/06. I have decided that I want a 30/06 just to see if they're as good as people say they are . I'm undecided which to buy: Browning Abolt, Remington M700 Mtn. rifle, the new M700 CDL, or a Win M70 Featherweight. I like the clip mag in the Abolt and the Mtn. rifle, but I also like the Featherweight. I just can't decide. Any comments on these rifles would be appreciated.

Posts: 32 | Location: Eastman, Georgia USA | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
go with the one that fits you the best . they are all good rifles. me personly remington .

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
br6ppc, I am also thinking about adding another 06 to my collection. I have 2 06's and i really like them.Weather you use factory ammo or handload for them it is an awesome cartridge.Both of mine are reasonabley accurate and somtimes when I'm having a good day i have shot some very tight groups.Most of the time they shoot right at an inch or slightley under.Both of them are right out of the box with no work done on them.The new Remington cdl looks very intreasting, it looks good and is a proven action,and it has a nice 24 inch barrel.With a good trigger job and some glass bedding I would geuss it would be quite a shooter.I have hunted with the 06 the last 4 years and probably won't look back, it just flat out performs, nothing fancy about it at all.IMHO with good handloads or any of the premium factory ammo it is just as good as any of the magnum cartridges for hunting game and for distance shooting, the only exception i can think of would be the 300 RUM, IMHO that is the only magnum that beats the 06 in the real world.Just my 2 cents. Take Care.

Posts: 52 | Location: Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm not a .30-06 fan but if I were buying one for me, I would get the M70FW. My 2nd choice would be a M700Titanium.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a Charles Daily Mauser 98 in 30-06, 2nd choice would be a M70 Classic.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I've got two Stainless Featherweight Model 70 30-06's. This model was dropped in 1995 or 96 for some unknown reason. I used one for all my hunting this year and took a nice spring bear, antelope buck, six point bull elk and mulie buck at ranges from 200 to 300 yards. The 06 works, period. Two days ago I took the other stainless fwt out as it's never been shot. I loaded some 165 Failsafes on top of RL22... nice groups from .5" to 1"!

As I have no need for two stainless M70 30-06's if you'd like to buy it it's yours... $500.

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a NIB remington 700 detachable mag ss 30-06 that has been sitting in the classifieds for a couple of days for $500 plus shipping if interested.

Posts: 66 | Location: WASHINGTON | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I would buy a cz 550 American in 30/06 have often thought of trading my Ruger MK11 30/06 in on one, my other 5 cz's shoot the pants off my Ruger.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington CDL. The whippy barrel on the Mtn rifle sometimes doesn't give you your best accuracy. Fine for hunting but disappointing off the bench.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've got two Stainless Featherweight Model 70 30-06's. This model was dropped in 1995 or 96 for some unknown reason. I used one for all my hunting this year and took a nice spring bear, antelope buck, six point bull elk and mulie buck at ranges from 200 to 300 yards. The 06 works, period. Two days ago I took the other stainless fwt out as it's never been shot. I loaded some 165 Failsafes on top of RL22... nice groups from .5" to 1"!

As I have no need for two stainless M70 30-06's if you'd like to buy it it's yours... $500.

Brad

You should jump on this!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the remington mt rifle with the ss barrel and laminated stock would be my choice. now if it cam in something more interestion than the plain old 30-06.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Brad, you have a PM
Scott

Posts: 14 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: 06 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifleman's rifle.
24" bbl. Blue/walnut.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally solved my problem. I called around to some local gunshops to check on some prices. At one shop, I talked to a guy that I knew. We discussed some of the rifles I was thinking of. He had a NIB M700 Mtn. rifle that didn't have a lock. I was interested to say the least. Then we were talking prices and he asked about a rifle I had and was trying to get rid of. I had a Ruger M77 varmint in 220 Swift that I didn't use any more. It was a 1992 model that had a blued receiver and bright SS barrel with the laminated stock. He wanted the rifle for himself and we traded. I was curious as to whether the rifle was actually new or not, being a pre-lock rifle. I carried it by a friend who has a borescope and checked the bore. The barrel didn't have a scratch in it. So I guess it was new. The barrel was pretty good for a factory rifle. It doesn't look like it will take much to break it in. I like the Mtn. rifle and I like the detachable mag. If the weather clears up this weekend, I will try it out. Thanks to all for the advice and offers.

Posts: 32 | Location: Eastman, Georgia USA | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brad, I appreciate the offer, but I'm kinda leaning towards the new Rem. 700 CDL. That was a decent price for a SS featherweight. I wonder why Winchester dropped this model? That was a nice looking rifle. I want to see this new CDL Remington is introducing this year. It looks to be a nice rifle even with the STUPID keylock . I was almost tempted not to even consider Remington because of the locking system. The first thing I will probably buy for it is a Pierce firing pin assy. and discard the stock assy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
classic M70 Featherweight or a mauser custom.

push-feed is for sissies!

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this post is 3 days old and you haven't bought that 700 CDL yet??

And the ugly key lock actually keeps you from having to go out and buy a lock just to pass muster during the transfer process plus it's just a matter of changing the bolt shroud to rid the gun of the key lock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look for a pre-64 Model 70, plenty of em' around in 30-06, something that belonged to an old guy who loved it and used it for 50 years. It'll have a character and history you can wonder about.

Then take her hunting cause that's what she's for, old rifles hate retirement. Mine all bark and whimper whenever I open the safe, I can hear em'.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be & Skinner know what they are talking about.

I have 4 Pre-64 M70's in 30-06. Two featherweights and two standards. They are all shooters with the right loads. Actually, three of them are. One of the featherweights is still in the original box with all of the hang tags (says "Price $137") and the original paperwork that came with the rifle. I am pretty sure the bolt has never been inserted.

I also have a Pre-64 M70 in .270 that will shoot an honest 1/2" with factory loads and handloads all day long.

If kept in decent shape, the rifle will be worth more than you paid for it in a few years. Always feels good to hunt with such a classic.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote