Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby sub moa guns
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know anything about the Weatherby sub moa rifles? I looked at one in .308 today. Pretty nice. The shop wanted $830 for it. Almost got it. They guarantee sub moa with these guns. Sub moa is sub moa whether you pay $830 or $3800 for a gun.
If I wasn't really longing for a new Savage LRH in 6.5x284 I probably would have bought this gun. I know ...apples and oranges. The Weatherby is not a "carry all day" gun. Big difference in the calibers too.
Just looking for some feed back.
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Vangaurd right?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When they test fire them, those that are sub moa get put to one side
and become sub moa sale guns. A few conditions are attached but
nothing onerous.

All the Weatherby / Howa's seem to shoot straight over here from what I hear.

BTW - The Weatherby Vanguards are just a Howa with a different name and stock
- made in the same factory as Howa. Their may be a couple of other slight differences
but can't remember what they are - I think the safety may be one.

Anyway, good cheap guns is the best way to look at them.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage has never disappointed me where accuracy was concerned.and the price is right too. I would rather spend my money on a avge and know without a dought that is was going to shoot smo out of the box than spend three times as much and then have to work on the other gun to get the same preformance

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot one in .204, it was very accurate,loved the balance and stock. A lot of gun for the price. I have shot several Savage rifles all were accurate, I worked on one to fix a safety and fail to cock problem,simple fix but I just cannot get excited with savage, the old Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing. Me Im a die hard pre 64 mod 70 nut.

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all cases you have to give Savage their due. They come jumping out of the box and put the bullet where it is supposed to go. Looks NEVER have anything to do with accuracy. Savage from the factory will beat 99 percent of all production run guns, regardless of the price.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure that the Weatherby MOA isn't just an advertising gimmick and a way to get a little more cash for a rifle.

If I recall correctly--and maybe I'm not--they test the barelled actions only, not the assenbled rifles, leading one to question whether bedding the action into the stock might change things. I never bought a Weatherby MOa, but I did buy a run-of-the-mill Accumark in .257 Wby, and it will stay under MOA with the right loads, and will keep 3 inside an inch at 200 yards with the preferred load (115 gr TSX, 66 gr. IMR 7828, CCI 250 primer, once-fired Norma brass). Could have paid more for the MOA version, but I doubt that it would have shot any better.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have one in 257Wby...very nice rifle. The barreled action is the same as on the standard version but the stock is a much nicer, IMO. Rifle shoots very well too, as does a friend's that is identical to mine. Both will easily meet the accuracy guarantee with several loads. At some point I might buy another one in 300 just to have a pair!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote