THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Cost of Win. Pre 64 Mod. 70 in 300 HH?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of Win. Pre 64 Mod. 70 in 300 HH?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am naturally in need of at least one more gun and have decided to pursue the Pre 64 Win. Model 70 in 300 HH.

I have done some price checking with the usual suspects in Gun List and internet sources and have learned the following:

Standard grade 96% to 99% - $1400 to $1850
Supergrade roughly $1,000 more

Are these prices roughly what these guns are currently going for? In your opinion, is the Supergrade worth the extra thousand bucks? I am not thoroughly familiar with the Supergrade but understand that it has an ebony forend, inletted swivel studs. jeweled bolt, a little engraving (I think "Supergrade" is found on the floor plate) and it may come with a higher grade of wood.

Any other advise you could share with this novice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Posts: 80 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
I think you are roughly in the ball park, maybe just a little high, when it come to cash changing hands. Unmolested pre - war, and early 50 rifles seem to bring the top end. With the 300 H&H, you want to be certain it wasn't punched out for 300WBY, it was not an uncommom alteration.

As to the additional value in the Super Grades, it is like anything else, it is what you like, that is important. The stock is slightly differant, in shape of the grip, checkering, and the forend tip.

If you have the hots for a Pre - 64 Mdl. 70, arm yourself, by reading the Roger Rule book "The Rifleman's Rifle" it is the best written coverage on the subject. Allen Day, that posts here contributed.

HBH

<Terry P>
posted
Kanatak,
I think these would sell in the $1200 range, depending. A friend of mine just got a 300HH that had been reblued and the stock had been refinished and paid about $950 about 1 year ago. This was a prewar rifle that had 2 holes drilled in the rear of the receiver for a scope. The drilling of the holes,reblue and stock refinish (plus it had a recoil pad) was the reason for the low price. However it's a great rifle for hunting. (I think most prewar models were drilled with 2 holes in the front of the receiver. Gunsmiths , then drilled rear holes as needed.)

I think you could get into the $1400-$1800 range that you mentioned if for instance you bought a mint rifle (like new), prewar etc.

The super grades had 4 pieces jeweled...bolt,extractor,extractor collar and follower. They also had the ebony forend, inletted sling swivels and Super Grade on the floor plate. There was no engraving on the standard super grades but was available on special order.

Personally I don't think the super grades are worth the extra money but that's because I'm not a Winchester collector. About the only thing I like about them are the inletted sling swivels. I like the prewar rifles the best along with rifles made 1954 and earlier. The earlier Winchesters had better wood. As time progressed, through the pre64 production period, good black walnut stock blands were fewer and the quality of wood got worse. Of the one's I've looked at, the prewar models were the best, with better wood to metal fit and finer checkering,better stock finsh (with carnauba wax)etc.
My favorite sweetheart now is a 1939 30-06. The metal looks like it's brand new. 1 hole has been drilled in the rear and it wears a Redfield base and rings,and a 1.5X5 Leupold. The checkering is 20 lines/inch and the stock is a real nice , honest piece of black walnut that has just enough figure to make it interesting. If I sold this one I would want about $1400 for the rifle alone....but for now I will just keep this one.
See if you can get a copy of "The Rifleman's Rifle" by Roger Rule. Good reading...Good luck with your search.
Also there a low comb models and the monte carlo stock. The monte carlo stocks , for me, make it difficult to see the iron sights but when I've used these with a scope they are real nice.
Regards,
Terry

<Terry P>
posted
I might add...if you are going to hunt with the rifle just look for one that is in decent shape. Good bore , blue, check the crown for damage etc. See if you can find one without "major" damage to the stock. Quite a few of the 300HH had some sort of recoil pad added which in my opinion is great for a rifle to hunt with. Just make sure the length of pull is right for you.
Brownells sells some Winchester stains and look at www.winrest.com. They sell a nice finish for the old Winchesters. So..if you can find a rifle but the stock is just so , so, it can be refinished to near original and Cape Outfitters sells a reproduction, solid Winchester pad that looks neat on the pre64's. You might even want to have the checkering recut , trigger job and have it glass bedded.
I wouldn't recommend refinishing a rifle in near mint condition but if the varnish is fading from the stock,etc., IMHO, I think it's just good common sense to spruce the stock up a bit and make a good shooter out of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a 1954 modle 70 with an old steel tube weaver(?) i belive in a shop in NJ for $900. looked nice, but i never got up the guts to check out te bore.

------------------
"Laws are like sausages, it's better not to see either being made"--Otto Von Bismark

When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Terry gave you alot of good information. My favorites are the pre-war M70's, but for all-round usage I would get a transition model or pre-64 because of the three position safety.

The long magnums carry a significant premium (especially in the pre-war models) but I think you'll be able to find one for less than $1500. There is a huge difference between the value of a collector's piece and a shooter, even an excellent condition shooter.

The value of a pre-67 M70 factory long-magnum action alone is at least $800 so long as it hasn't been altered. You can use this number as a starting point when looking at rifles

Terry had one for sale here a week ago but some idiot already bought it.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have mail.

Jeff

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
As pointed out the price of a good shooter and a rifle that some collector will pay a crazy price for can be $600 to thousands.

I just bought a almost unfired but not orginal 1962 M-70 in .300 H&H for $700 and that included dies and a lot of stuff. But it has a aftermarket recoil pad and some blue is gone from the floorplate and trigger guard. This is a nice rifle but way too long for hunting here in the Northeast. Never the less I am carrying it around.

I would not pay a lot extra for a Supergrade. But I am a shooter and not a collector.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see them from time to time and sold a few in the last 6 months for $900.00 each and they were 90% guns.

I see them in the gunlist at around $1000 all the time.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote