New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-06 Hard on Brass???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have been working up loads on a .338-06. The rifle appears to be tight ... relatively low charges seem to show some pressure.

On the third firing of R-P cases, I tired 57 gr of AA 4350. Primers are fine. IMpact point is 6" lower than a load of 52.0 gr of BL(C)-2 that shoots well but show flat primers. Consistency seems pretty decent with 5 rds in 1 1/4" A very little visible expansion over the top of the web area. BUT ... two cases of the 6 fired show a line around the outside of the case like incipient head separation. Ain't gonna shoot that brass again!

Has anyone noticed the .338-06 being hard on brass?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Nope, sounds like headspace problems to me.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel was installed by Douglas and I watched them headspace gauge it.

Shoulder is not being moved during firing.

Did notice that the two cases showing the line are visibly longer than the others ... by a measured 0.020" (2.479" versus 2.499").

I wonder if I inadvertently mixed in a couple of pieces of older brass.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not had any problems with brass in my 338-06.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Your die may be pushing the shoulder back a bit. I have loaded 100s & some cases 10x w/ just trimming. Try adjusting your dies to only partial size, just enough to get the bolt to close easily. Also, stay away from Federal 06 brass, some of the softest I have ever used.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Probably nothing wrong with your barrel or its installation, but how did you adjust your dies?? (I'm assuming you are FL sizing, as case head separations are almost unheard of when neck sizing).

Chambers and dies come in all possible combinations of size. The generic FL die adjustment method described by most die manufacturers is just that: generic. If your chamber happens to be on the long side, and you manage to push back your case shoulder with every sizing, you could start to see incipient head separation.

If you have not already done so, set your die up for "partial full length" sizing. This will ensure minimal working of the case. Use the search function here to see how to adjust your die for PFLS. I use a gauge for this adjustment, but others prefer to approach the right setting by "feel".

- mike

P.S. post collision. I guess I could just have said I agree with Fred... Smiler

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be that your brass was undersized to begin with. I had the same happen before. I got a batch of Canadian brass years ago for the '06 and the shoulder was too far back.

The .338-06 is no harder on brass than the '06, .270, .280, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shoulder is not being moved during firing.

Did notice that the two cases showing the line are visibly longer than the others ... by a measured 0.020" (2.479" versus 2.499").

my 2 cents on this- If statement one is actually correct, then your dies are not set up wrong- period.
Statement number 2 would lead me to believe the extra length in brass is from brass flowing forward from bad/ soft brass/ possible hi press load- which will eventually lead to the bright ring you speak of and finally seperation(from brass flowing forward- that brass you have to trim off comes from somewhere). And it is possible you got some old brass mixed in(but that is careless reloading proceedure) that had been fired umptene times and trimmed who know how many times.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Nope, sounds like headspace problems to me.

Terry

I agree.. I had a 22.250 that was being hard on brass etc...finally took it back over to the gunsmith and had him ream it out just a hair more... the problem went away.. instantly...

Gunsmiths can't be perfect all the time...

heck we all screw up stuff all the time..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still on my original three boxes of 20 from 1998. All Federal Gold Medal or whatever they call it. Some of it has been shot 6 times with only a slight trimming. Then again my loadings are not meant to turn it into a magnum either....they are not near max.

I'd try adjusting the die back a bit as already suggested.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Federal brass and have stoutly loaded it with no problems. After 7 or 8 times the primer pockets loosen a bit so I toss 'em then.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cut your load about a grain and that too shall come to pass and you'll never know any difference...Chances are you have a snug barrel or one that was buttoned towards the end of the buttons life span...You probably are getting a tad more velocity also, so when you cut the load then all will balance out to normal and you will get proper velocity also but with a tad less powder for whatever that's worth..Anyway you have not problem.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle cracked a case yesterday. It broke on extraction not under full chamber pressure. Took it in to Douglas today. Headspace is fine. Barrel ID is fine against their manufacturing gauges. Bolt lugs and action seating surfaces are fine.

They cleaned the chamber, polished it a bit more, reassembled it, and checked the headspace again.

Will pick it up tomorrow and shoot it later in the week with new brass and lower charges.

Most curious.

Mike

--------------

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Mike, is it old used brass? I have the AI version and have had no problem exceot the normal one with nickel brass neck-slpitting.

I always use new brass when I wildcat and for the 338-06 I like to use 35 Whelen and neck down.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate,

I started with x1 R-P 30-06 brass. Am using a Redding die set.

What is interesting about this rifle is that it is showing higher pressures than I would expect with 3 powders (RL-15, BL-C(2), and AA 4350) at the starting charge listings. Those lots of powder do not show high pressure at the starting charges for other chamberings in other rifles.

Mike

--------------

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Weird stuff. all from the same lot of brass? Maybe its a bad batch.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Start with the basics, buy a new batch of brass and another can of powder. Only neck size the brass. Load and see what happens. If that doesn't work rent a set of gauges, go-nogo. If that checks out , do a chamber cast and slug the bore and start measuring. I know what you're thinking but it happens.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're over sizing the brass. It's easy enough to do, especially if your chamber length is on the long side of tolerance and have a minimum tolerance size die AND a minimum size shell holder.

Get a Hornady/Stoney Point length gage or an RCBS Precision Case Mic. Measure the length from the head to the datum line on the shoulder of a fired case and then on a newly sized one. Ajust your sizer to make those shoulder locations match, minus one or two thousanths.

Or use a neck sizer and don't worry about it.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote