Find
Notify
Tools

I love my Weatherbys...but...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Their marketing really failed at trying to show how much better the .30-378 is over the .300 RUM and 30 Nosler yesterday. Really makes me like my RUM and want to look into the 30 Nosler more.

A little over 43 gr of powder to get an extra 100fps with the 30-378.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Yeesh, you're right! I think they're seriously short-changing the 30-378 as compared to the other two. It was my understanding the 30-378's party piece was the ability to throw a 180 at 3400-3450fps; I'm not sure why they're being conservative here. That is a boatload more powder burned for no real bragging rights.

PS - I also love my Weatherbys. Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree 100% with you both!

Not sure I want to back up to a belted case just to get 50 fps more than my RUM. Besides, with ADG 300 RUM brass, I can push it a little bit and still have a primer pocket where you can't with Weatherby brass.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot the .300 Wby Mag., and have found that it can get between 3200 to 3300 FPS with IMR 7828 powder. Using 180 grain bullet. I believe that the factory stated 3240 FPS with the 180 grain bullet. The new cartridges are great, but the older .300 Wby. mag. Hangs right in there with them.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bo Rich:
I used to shoot the .300 Wby Mag., and have found that it can get between 3200 to 3300 FPS with IMR 7828 powder. Using 180 grain bullet. I believe that the factory stated 3240 FPS with the 180 grain bullet. The new cartridges are great, but the older .300 Wby. mag. Hangs right in there with them.

+1

Substitute .300 Wby for .300 RUM since they are basically the same thing with different packaging. When Remington came out with the RUM they made a big deal about saying it was faster then the Weatherby and it was - by ten feet per second.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drop isn't as much of a concern when one has a laser range finder and more then one aiming point.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a bog standard Remington Sendero in 300 RUM.

Extremely accurate with any bullet, and has more velocity than the 3, 30-378 Weatherby rifles I have seen.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not think I would shoot an elk at 600 yards with a Ballistic Tip, but I would not shoot an elk past 400 yards.

The longest I have ever done is 318 on a snow barren slope.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Extremely accurate with any bullet, and has more velocity than the 3, 30-378 Weatherby rifles I have seen.
Yowza! That's a fast one, indeed. It would seem to me from this amalgam of 30 caliber magnums, you're not getting appreciably more performance with one than the other. I suppose at that point it's choose your favorite packaging and go shoot. If you really want to step up, you'd have to go to the next (and top) tier of something like a Lazzeroni or the 300 Pegasus.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
quote:

Yowza! That's a fast one, indeed. It would seem to me from this amalgam of 30 caliber magnums, you're not getting appreciably more performance with one than the other. I suppose at that point it's choose your favorite packaging and go shoot. If you really want to step up, you'd have to go to the next (and top) tier of something like a Lazzeroni or the 300 Pegasus.

The Pegasus is the last one I would have.

First of all the rifle it is offered in is a peace of junk, as far as accuracy is concerned.

Second it won't last very long.

I have one, and like everything Alpin has brought out, not much truth in what he says.

I have had the exact same model rifles, Steyer, shooting the exact same factory ammo, vary in velocity by as much as over 150 fps.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Looks legit to me. If I shoot my 600 yd Elk with a 30 Nosler I would obviously hit it in the leg, better get the Weatherby. Big Grin

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I have a 270 Weatherby, a 375 Weatherby and a 500 Jeffery. Don't see the need for anything in between.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Pegasus is the last one I would have.

First of all the rifle it is offered in is a peace of junk, as far as accuracy is concerned.

Second it won't last very long.

I have one, and like everything Alpin has brought out, not much truth in what he says.

I have had the exact same model rifles, Steyer, shooting the exact same factory ammo, vary in velocity by as much as over 150 fps.

Well, my comment was more directed at the cartridge than the rifles in which it's chambered - we all know your views on A-Square rifles. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they had shown the trajectory chart with all three zero'd at 100 instead of 300, it would have made the 30-378 look better at 600.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a .257 Wby Accumark for years with a 6 X 24 Burris Signature scope and it is a tack driver with a 120 grain Nosler Partition when I do my part. I have also shot a Sporter Model .340 Wby for 25 years with 6.5 X 20 Ziess scope and it is also super accurate. I have taken many Deer with the former and Deer, Moose, Elk with the later. With a 240 Northfork bullet the .340 is a real smacker indeed. I have been more than pleased with my Wby's for a long time and my grandsons will enjoy them when I am gone. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30378 needs a 30 inch barrel to shine just like my 338378 does .I tried different powders and found the right ones and loads above published loads but not too hot in Alaska cooler weather .I asked Weatherby about making a custom 32 inch 338-378 they said they would but said it would be cheaper to get someone else to make it. ITS about 300 fps to 400 fps Faster in the super long barrels

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 338.06 with a 27 inch barrel should ring a lot of 06 size case.

But according to the 338.06 owners here I have very slow barrel.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting at elk at 600 or more yards is a shameful practice, and not the way of a "hunter". Its legal however, just not acceptable to some..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41857 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I do not think I would shoot an elk at 600 yards with a Ballistic Tip, but I would not shoot an elk past 400 yards.

The longest I have ever done is 318 on a snow barren slope.

I've dropped an elk at 500 yards with my (now my son's BDL in 270 Win) 150g Partition at 3000 fps sighted in at 300 yards. Walked 10 yards and fell over dead. More than a few at 400 yards. Don't need a cannon if you can shoot.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I agree with drg416. You really need a longer barrel for the magnums to shine. I do like getting away from the belt though. My 300 RUM is getting 3380 FPS with a 185 grain bullet; but its got a 28" barrel. I think any rifle shooting over about 85 grains of powder needs a longer barrel. My 300 RUM is dropping 36 inches at 600 yds with a 300 yd zero

Looking at their add I probably wouldn't pick the Weatherby but I do own some and like 'em.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote