THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Re: 139gr. Hornady Interbond, 280Rem

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 139gr. Hornady Interbond, 280Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
Quote:

Looking for loads in the 280 with the 139gr. Hornady Interbond.

Would load data from the 139gr. SST be a good place to start?

thxs

I will answer the second question first.

The 139gr .284 Interbond is slightly longer that the SST. I would back off a few grains if you are contemplating using a max load that you have developed for the SST, then work up.

I am currently loading 62gr Norma MRP behind the .284 139gr Interbond @ 3.34" COL with CCI mag. primer. MV is 3125fps Av from a 22" barrel.

63 gr with a CCI 200 primer gives similar velocity.

I shot a very large Whitetail doe (over 160#s dressed) quartering on @ about 30yds with this load.

The bullet entered high just missing the scapula and penetrated to the hide on the opposite hind leg. The bullet was lodged against the femur. Recovered bullet weight was 119gr. (85% weight retension) The bullet had musroomed to .782".

A buck about the same size was taken broadside @ about 240yds with the same load. The bullet struck in the pocket just behind the shoulder taking out the aorta and all of the arteries above the heart. The deer went staight down with the legs tucked up under it. Of course, that bullet was not recovered.

This is an awesome bullet, it doesn't cost a lot more than the Nosler Ballistic Tip, and is a lot cheaper than the over priced "Accubond".

According to "Quickload" the increase in the bullet length of the Interbond over the SST will raise pressure slightly requiring about 1gr reduction with powders such as Reloader 22 or Norma MRP. About 62grs was max for either load in MY rifle with about a 40fps advantage for MRP over RL 22. A similar charge of Vihtavouri N560 was about 50fps behind the RL 22.

These loads are over SAAMI spec, but are @ or under 60000psi according to "Quickload". I would not use these loads in anything other than a strong bolt action!

As always, reduce 10% and work up.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Very encouraging.

How well does your loads group?

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This particular rifle will not group anything really well. The loads I listed group as good or better than any I have tried, about 2" @ 100yds.

I made a chamber cast the other day and it indicates a chamber off center with the bore as the rifling on one side comes ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE CHAMBER! The other side of the throat appears normal.

Unfortunately, I dropped the chamber cast on the floor so I plan to make another and have it checked for run out. If my suspitions are correct, the rifle will go back to Remington.

Even at that, I have killed a deer every time I've pulled the trigger for the past 2 yrs (7 times) All but 1 have been between 190 to 240yds.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 280 rem with the right powder will produce excellent groups 1in and under. Have had 3 of them, along with the 3 wifes. 1 in a rem st-syn-22in barrel and 1in a ruger 22in barrel and the last one bought 6 or 7 yrs ago in a rem -classic in a 24in barrel. With every one I used H4831 and the 139 gr Hornady just like in my 7mag. Every one shot 1in gps or under using this combo. First 2 guns even had Tasco 3-9x32's on them with the real thick cross hairs in them. With the Hornady Vol #2 listed top load's down with the 139gr.=59.5gr-3000fps--57.9gr-2900fps---56.3gr-2800fps. Just shooting the 139gr H-Interlock and using 59gr got 3040av.fps in the 24in barrel. And using the 139 gr Hornady Interbond in the classic did av.1in gps with 57.5gr with a mooned or cratered primer, did av 2980fps. The worst thing that every happened with that gun was my wife trading it in on a 7mag. I would have rather bought the 7mag to have got rid of that classic. Friends that have them now, some are using H-414 and the 139gr and 140's with 1in or under groups. But all use H4831 if they load the 160's or the Hornady 162gr.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'm already getting sub moa with 139 Interlocs but this bullet has got my attention. If she gets decent results I'm going to make it next years deer load. This is the rifle my father hunts with. 2" groups would satisfy him no problem. I'm sure with little or no effort, I'll find a tight load. This rifle seems to like everything I've fed it so far.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm already getting sub moa with 139 Interlocs but this bullet has got my attention. If she gets decent results I'm going to make it next years deer load. This is the rifle my father hunts with. 2" groups would satisfy him no problem. I'm sure with little or no effort, I'll find a tight load. This rifle seems to like everything I've fed it so far.

That is the problem with my .280, it doesn't seem to like anything I've fed it, from factory loads to reloads. I have a 7mm-08 in the same pattern. (Rem M700 Mountain Rifle DM) Alhough the 7mm-08 can be a little fussy, it will shoot most loads 1 MOA with the ones it really likes going 1/2" or less. The best 3 shot group so far was .387" @ 100yds.

The 280, as I said, has only been mediocre as far as accuracy goes and has always seemed to bulge the cases to one side. I thought it was the undersized Remington brass, but after doing the chamber cast I believe the problem may lie in the chamber. Even when fired cases are full length resized with a small base die , there is still the slightest resistance when closing the bolt handle. When turning the cases on the "Zip Trim" they seem to have a lot of runout.