New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barsness 9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I understand Barsness had a write up about a year ago on the 9.3x62. Anyone know which magazine and issue #? Thanks in advance
Doug

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the issue, but I did talk to him directly back and forth about his loads for the 9,3x62 over on 24hrCampfire.com. You might search his postings under 9,3 question for Mule Deer, and read the posts. "Mule Deer" = John Barsness.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the lead dj

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chub Eastman wrote an article for "Rifle" magazine #215, Sept. 2004. I use his load with RL-15 & Nosler 286 gr. bullets to cross-referece with the Nosler manual.

I'll go look at that other site too Wink.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri,USA | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks ALF

Doug

One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted Hide Post
nyrifleman,The write up by John Barsness was in RIFLE Sporting Firearms Journal MAGAZINE.The issue was July 2003 No.208. Title of the article was "Just Enough Gun" in his regular Rifles and Woodsmoke spot in the back of the magazine.He also mentions it again in the same edition under another article in the magazine under the title,"Other Bolt Actions"
Ruger,Browning and CZ.

Posts: 84 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Boddington had an article on the 9.3mm triad a while back for G&A: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/EUR/

Is that the one?

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RSY, I have the Boddington article.

AMRA-Thanks for the lead.

I was under the impression that he had written a lengthy in depth article?

Doug

One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted Hide Post
nyrifleman,Not really a in depth article about the 9.3x62 caliber itself,More about the CZ RIFLE IT WAS CHAMBERED IN.BARSNESS is really of high opinion on this rifle,fit,finish,scope mounting,etc.This article is about a hunting trip he booked to British Columbia for moose caribou and elk.He says in the article that he brought the 9.3x62 because of grizzly bears,That he could have used a 30-06 to cleanly kill any non-dangerous game.But that he grew up in grizzly country and slept and hunted around them more easily with a larger rifle.The story also mentions a hunter from europe who was using a 300 win mag that was kicking the crap out of him,causing him to shoot poorly,Something abot this guy taking 5 shots to kill a elk at 100 yards,only 2 striking the elk.And something like 10 shots,reloading his rifle 3 times to take a caribou.While Barsness only needed one 9.3x62 round to take his moose
and two for his elk.He said he never saw a caribou that he wanted.
The main point that Barsness makes in this story was that the guy from europe had always hunted with his 7x64 ,but had bought the 300 win. mag for the trip to B.C.
and he was scared of the 300 mag,causing him to flinch.
A passage from the article states>"Most of us aren`t recoil-proof,but I (Barsness} shoot fairly hard kicking rifles often enough to withstand a few shots at targets or game.Despite this,I rarely carry even a 300 magnum unless I`m hunting in grizzly country and today prefer a 8.5-pound 9.3x62 to the 7.5-pound 338 winchester magnum I used to carry.The 9.3 kills just as well but with a LOT less recoil.15 years ago old friend Dave Petzal warned me that we grow lss recoil-tolerant with age.I`m 50 now,and Dave was right."Barsness doesn`t give any load detail for the 9.3x62 in this article.But in the January 2003 RIFLE magazine no. 205 He wrote a article called "
Differences of Opinion"Where he mentions the B.C. hunt and he states the following>
"I went to British Columbia on a horse back hunt for moose elk and caribou.For such an expensive "trip of a lifetime",most modern hunters would suggest a hyper-velocity magnum using light but tough bullets,to be fully prepared for any fleeting chance.But as a primary rifle ,I took a 9.3x62 Mauser,sort of a cross between the 35 Whelen and a 375 H&H,My handloads using 286 Nosler Partitions at just under 2500 fps worked so well on my moose that even my veteran guide was inpressed."
That is all I could find in my stash of RIFLE magazines,I`m sorry I couldn`t be more help. AMRA

Posts: 84 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His almost 2500 fps load in the 286 grain 9.3x62 is with 65 grains of Ramshot Big Game. It goes 2470 fps at 10 ft in my CA with either the 286 Nosler or 286 North Fork and shoots .700 at 100 yards with either bullet.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote