New
Find
Notify
Tools

318 Westley Richards?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone here shoot or load for the 318 WR? I have one coming next week. I've read that cases can be formed from 30-06 brass, and also read that they can't. Looking for advise, ammo, supplies, or all of the above!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf, what a great set-up! Cheap 30-06 brass and a supply of Hornady bullets....perfect together! Thanks

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a local powder here in SA called S-365, which is just about the equivalent of IMR 4350. About 50-52 grains should do the trick for you, just work up slowly from about 47.

As for bullets, I\m a firm believer in the 250 Woodleigh for use on game. It works like a charm, and you'll have trouble recovering one from even large animals!

For cases I use Bertram, mostly, but I also have a bunch of converted .30-06 cases. As the poster above mentioned, just run them through the die, trim and fire-form.

Welcome to the .318 club! You're ruined for life, just don't know it yet... It's a FANTASTIC calibre.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree, welcome to the 318WR Club.
I have 3 of them.

Yes, forming from 30.06 cases is fine.

One word of warning - before you do a whole batch of them, do a few to make sure the rim etc is OK as some 30.06 cases have a slightly differet size to others.

So do a few, load them up (fire forming / not flat out loads) and run them through the gun.

If all OK, do the rest.

If not, get some different brass.

Also, see if you can neck resize only.
Some guns you can, some you can't.

Anyway, good luck.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to get .318WR cases is to expand 8x60S cases from .323 to 330! You can get RWS and PRVI-cases in this caliber! The RWS is of very good quality, but expensive, while the serbian cases are quite cheap!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the surplus dealers, I think SOG, used to stock a bunch of PRVI cases in metric.

At one time I briefly made 330 bullets for the 8x56. I bought a couple of cheap ($15 - 20) Lee bullet swaging dies, and simply swaged down 338 bullets. Some I could do in 1 step, some took 2. They worked great.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Powell (Guns International) has loaded for all the old English rounds, and recommends using 35 Whelen brass and necking down...much easier. It so happens I have 9 boxes of new 35 Whelen brass!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought CH4D dies from Buffalo Arms, so I'm pretty much set. Should be fun...where's my pith helmet???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Hornady's I got bulk, they were for some other cartridge that required a .330 bullet cant remember which ?

Produced by PRVI for Grafs/Hornady for 8x56R. Grafs still has em bulk last I checked.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I do have a British pith helmet... strap on my Webley WG 455, grab the .318 and I'm ready to step in the 'ol time machine ! LOL.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Biebs, I do have a British pith helmet... strap on my Webley WG 455, grab the .318 and I'm ready to step in the 'ol time machine ! LOL.

Don't forget the wrap around hessian gaiters, Safari Jacket, Sam Browne belt !!!

LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But the 9,3x62 is not a Springfield in .366! Look at the P2-Diameter - min. in 9,3 is 12,1mm (difference to nearly all "Mauser" cases). Normal for the 06 and the other Mauser cases is max. 11,98mm! And the 9,3 was born in 1905 - one year before the 06!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Actually the 06 came out in 03 and was called the 30/03. When the U.S. gov. decided they were not going to use the 220 gr. bullet, they shortened the neck and renamed it the 06. Consequently they rebarrelled the Springfield M1903's to the new revision. The 03 Springfield was designed around the cartridge, not vice versa.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Actually the 06 came out in 03 and was called the 30/03. When the U.S. gov. decided they were not going to use the 220 gr. bullet, they shortened the neck and renamed it the 06. Consequently they rebarrelled the Springfield M1903's to the new revision. The 03 Springfield was designed around the cartridge, not vice versa.

Actually, they didn't rebarrel. They pulled the exisitng .30-'03 barrels, shortened them slightly, and rechambered, then screwed them back on. Our Gov't was more frugal in those days.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
There is something to be said for the 33 calibers based on the M88 German case.

Alf...don't forget the 9,5x57 Mauser...a .375 based on the same case...called the .375 NE Rimless by the Brits...

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
There is something to be said for the 33 calibers based on the M88 German case.

Alf...don't forget the 9,5x57 Mauser...a .375 based on the same case...called the .375 NE Rimless by the Brits...

The 9.5X57 is actually a Mannlicher Schoenauer cartridge in the model 1910 (same action as the 1903). The sweetest handling rifle of the whole lot mentioned in this thread. It is just 300 fps slower with 235 gr or 270 gr bullets compared to the 250 gr bullets in the the others. Performance is like a 358 Win rather than a 35 Whelan.

This is a H&H retailed MS in 9.5X57 - takedown model.

This is another H&H retailed MS in the same caliber with case.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Biebs: Do you have your new .318 in hand? How about some details?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16404 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without pictures, nothing counts for nothing, of course...

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned quite a few of the 9.5s. Some were stamped 9.5x56 M/S, and others 9.5x57.

I have had numerous ones whih were built by Mauser on M98 actions and retailed by firms such as Dan'l Fraser of Edinburgh, and others which were on various M/S rifles retailed by Gibbs and others. They were available in both rifle and carbine configurations. My last carbine I sold to Jim Somers who was then the NCOIC of the RCMP national firearms lab in Regina. Most of my ammo was factory Kynoch production, though some was also RWS.

I have given away or sold it all over the years, so can't post pictures of the boxes, but that is all right. It is known in various books as either the 9.5x56 M/S or the 9.5x57 Mauser. Who actually developed it is of no interest whatsoever to me. It is a a fine round either way....kind of like a bigger bore .358 Winchester with a bit more case capacity and about 50 years more history. And will work on the same bolt face with no alterations.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a british made Mauser stamped .375Rimless!