THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    For your 30-06, 150/155ss vs. 168/165s?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For your 30-06, 150/155ss vs. 168/165s?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
Which of these two weight bullets are more accurate, and whats your accuracy difference?

I personally have never shot any 165s out of my '06, cept for a handloaded armour piercing bullet to see how much steel I could go through.(1/2" btw)
Otherwise, 150NBTs shoot .7moa out to 300yds. in my Model 70, soon to be better since an installed H-S Precision stock and some handloaded matchgrade bullets which will get tested in spring. Wink
Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Depends on twist rate, pwoder combo, etc. Only way to tell is shoot em.
My .338-06 shoots 200-210gr & 250gr bullets well. It won't shoot 225gr bullets worth a crap, so every rifle is diff.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Depends on twist rate, pwoder combo, etc. Only way to tell is shoot em.
My .338-06 shoots 200-210gr & 250gr bullets well. It won't shoot 225gr bullets worth a crap, so every rifle is diff.

Fred, This is for guys that have (tried) both in the rifle. Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay, I cannot say that one is more accurate than the other in either of my -06's. I settled on the 165-grain Nosler BT because I wanted to closely match the trajectory of the 150-grain bullet with a weight that bordered on the 180-grain pills. Kind of a compromise.

In my Model 70, the 165-grain Nosler over 58.0 grains of IMR-4350 gives me 2840 fps, and excellent groupings out to 300 yards. I won't call it a sub-MOA rifle, as I am not a sub-MOA shooter all the time, but the best group it ever printed was 0.447" @ 100 yards.

It is sure death on whitetails, that's for sure!

I would guess that Fred has a point. Depending on twist rate and length of barrel, the slightly longer 165 might have an accuracy advantage (or disadvantage), but most of us probably wouldn't recognize it

Posts: 27 | Location: Abingdon, MD | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would guess that Fred has a point. Depending on twist rate and length of barrel, the slightly longer 165 might have an accuracy advantage (or disadvantage), but most of us probably wouldn't recognize it

Well, I'd say probably 98% of 06s are 10 twist and barrel lengths of 22-24". So I'm not worried or concerned about that aspect. Guess that means I'm saying all 06s are pretty much the same, huh. Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it was scoped my 1903 (with a GI barrel) liked 150s better than anything else but wrecked too much meat so I switched to 180s for most chores. My M700 doesn't care for 125s or 250s but otherwise it groups 150-220 grain bullets about the same with good loads.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What I'm saying Jay is all rifles, even 06 of same manuf. are diff. It depends on bedding, powder, which 150/165, etc. It's not a straight forward question. My son's 06 likes 180grSGK, not Hornady's. It likes 165grNBT, but not Hornady 168grBTHP, you just can't say use this bullet & everything will be great.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really just depends on the individual bullet I use. 165 Sierra HP GameKings shoot fantastically from my HighWall, but close behind is the 150 Partition. In my rebarrelled mauser it is the other way around.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the groups and performance of Hornady 165gr bt's in my 06

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the "split the difference" 165gr myself. I have shot nickle sized five shot groups when I wasn't too hung over. Both the Hornadys and Core Lokts do well in my rifle.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've got a Savage that loves 150s the best but, I load for a 700 that prefers 180s as well as an Abolt that prefers 180s too.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I received a new reminton 700 bdl ss for christmas. The first bullet I tried was the 150 sst. After a couple of different powders where tried I got my groups down to .400" at 100 yards using of all things IMR-3031.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use one of my 30.06s for practice,because it cleans easily and is accurate,in that order.The rifle likes 165gr Hornady BTs at 2620.After a quite a few pounds of cheapest clearance powder 47N in three lot #,I used one pound cans of IMR4350.all at the same charge to get 2620 with even better accuracy, cloverleafs at 100m.So I bought an eight poung jug,two more grains than before and the accuracy is only acceptable.Oh well

My buddy gave me a part box of 150 Hornady BTs,he said I might find them interesting.I had some IMR 4064,at 51.5gr ,a 5shot box. Now I have to buy 4064 and 150,too.

So from my data,I would say it also depends on the powder.

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jay, all the posts above are spot on. your rifle twist is most likely a 1/10 being a winchester.you being a reloader as are most who answer questions here already know most of the fun is brewing up your own,some non match grade bullets will shoot rite with match grade bullets for accuracy,165 hornady SST is one for sure,the 150 nosler is a heck of a good bullet as close to match grade as you can get, thats one example one weight. your rifle will only shoot as good as you can at each range session, thats why we all get our butts kicked by our friends once and a while. lets get together sometime neighbor i can shoot out too 625 yds max. regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote