New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short 7x57 loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 24 inch medium sporter barrel on my 7x57 and want to shorten it as much as possible to lighten the rifle. My guess is 19 inches is about right. Anyone have an idea on good loads and what velocities I'll get from them?

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cut back a 7x57 and inch at a time and lost 28 FPS per inch to 22" and then 38 to 42 FPS per inch from 22 to 20..

I just can't justify lossing that velocity over 5" of barrel...I cannot see where 5 additional inches of barrel could make a gun handier except in the mind of the beholder...besides don't you guys shoot mostly out of blinds in Alvarado?...

A better alternative would be to leave that nice 7x57 as is and buy a M-94 30-30 for what you want.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is that the surgery I just had on my left shoulder makes changing the center of gravity of the rifle to the rear is important. Truly I do hunt from blinds but more often from tree stands and hanging off a tree holding a rifle makes light much niicer. A short rifle is easier to pull up a rope through branches too. I know a 308 would be a better choice but a 160 grain bullet at 2500 fps will take all the hogs and deer I will run into. Far in the areas I hunt in Oklahoma and east Texas is 150 yards and you have to cut a lane to see that far plus be in a tree. I have a 30-06 and a 300 win mag for long shots and elk hunting and a 30-30 pump that now is not so user friendly. A scope is handy in looking for horns and I have to admit a fondness for bolt actions.

<toto>
posted
rickt300, I have two mauser 7x57. one is 19" barrel. I get over 2800' per sec. with 50gr of 414 and 162gr hornady. Hope this helps. fws

<JimF>
posted
I have a 7-08 which is very similar in expansion ratio to a 7X57. When I cut the barrel from 22" to 20" my favorite load lost 65 fps. I've since changed to a slightly faster powder and got some of the loss back. I'm currently getting about 2735 with the 145 in the 20" with RL-15. You should be able to do the 2500/160 pretty easily.

One caveat however, don't expect a huge weight savings from shortening the barrel. I have several chunks of barrel cut offs laying around and they average about 1 oz. per inch.

Jim

<eldeguello>
posted
Bore some holes under the buttplate and put in some lead weights to shift the center of gravity back, and leave your barrel at least 20". 22" if possible!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I decided to tough it and not cut the barrel. I have 80 primed and sized cases ready to charge with H414. I will be loading Sierra's 160 grain Gameking and Speers 160 spitzer flat base. This can of H414 worries me as it has been in my loading supplies for 14 years and never opened. This powder does have a long shelf life right?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It will be fine unless it's been subjected to lots of heat and moisture. Ball powder has outstanding self life. In fact, I just open an old, 20 plus year, can of IMR 3031. It's fine. Shoots great. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
e -
quote:
Ball powder has outstanding self life. In fact, I just open an old, 20 plus year, can of IMR 3031
Ball powder - 3031 [Confused] [Smile]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger No.1 with a 20" barrel in 7x57 and have no problem making 300 yard one shot kills on game up to the size of caribou. I don't have a chronograph, but the bullets seem to expand fine at 300 yards and beyond, so I guess I'm above the minimum velocity that the bullets are designed for. Trajectory is good, I used the maximum point blank method for sighting in and a 300 yard shot does not require that I hold on air. Granted, these are handloads, but don't show any signs of excessive pressure.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote