New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is A Mountain Rifle?
 Login/Join

<T/Jazz>
posted
Well gentlemen I have read some of the posts concerning mountain rifles and quite frankly I see a lot of variations as to what constitues such a rifle in some hunters minds. I thougth that perhaps it might be interesting to break this subject matter down or say disect the matter even further for all to learn buy.

Should it be a long range caliber?

Should it tip the scales at a certain figure?

Should there be a limit as to caliber size?

Should barrel length have any effect in the decision?

Guys & Gals, it is for you to create the rifle for the mountains.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Since I started this thought, I'll jump in. As you said, it seems to vary quite a bit. I think the primary consideration is weight. I wanted a reasonbly light, less than 7 1/2# & accurate to 300yds for hunting sheep, goat, deer, etc. in steep terrain. For most people, light weight & magnums (w/o muzzle brakes) cancel each other out. Unless you hunt alot of elk or mountan grizzly, you probably don't need a magnum .33. So for me that meant a flat shooter in the .260 to maybe 7mag. I chose a .280 w/ 23" bbl.

[This message has been edited by fredj338 (edited 05-01-2002).]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me throw my $.02 in. I wanted a lightweight rifle that had some "punch" and yet could still be accurate, flat shooting, and not beat me to death. I looked around for a custom as well as an off-the-shelf. My purchase? A Weatherby Ultralite in 338-06. With 180 NBT's loaded to about 2950 fps it shoots plenty flat enough for most any "mountain chore". Loaded with 250 bullets, it's the equal of any North American game and most African game. Recoil? Less than any 300 mag with 180 bullets...more like a 30-06 with 200 grain bullets....very tolerable. It will keep anything I want to put thru the barrel within 1" at 100 yds. It's a great firearm and at about $1100....not a bad buy at all. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
A mountain rifle is a reason to need yet another rifle. I believe the term was coined by remington.

Cutting 1-1.5 lbs off a rifle seems insignificant to me. I can shoot a heavier rifle better if I'm huffing and puffing.

I would prefer to cut weight on other items I carry. And for most folks, losing 10-20 lbs of bodyfat would be the most significant way to lighten their load.

Meant in good humor. MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
One you carry up the mountain.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original mountain rifles (turn bolt) were born in Austro-Hungarian Europe at the end of the 19th century. They were short barreled military rifles with full length stocks to protect the barrels from the rocks. These were naturally lighter in weight than a standard rifle. The Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine was an early example.

With the advent of telescopic sights, synthetic stocks and stronger alloys, todays standard rifles can easily be used in mountainous terrain. I therefore believe that today the term "mountain rifle" as used by a manufacturer is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

------------------

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Kurt has a point. In the old days we didn't have "light" rfiles & most people carried sporterized Springfields, Mausers, etc. I think the need for custom light rifles was more of a need then than now. You can pick from several makes & calibers that will get you up & down the mountain under 8#.
Garby, great choice in the .338-06, one of my favorites for big game.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
T/Jazz,

A caliber consider in Europe as "Mountain caliber" is the 6.5X68. a 120 gr bullet over 3200 fps. Long range bullet, long range accuracy.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with what the Devil Dog from Montana had to say. I do not feel the need for a specific rifle to hunt in the mountains. While I own a lot of other rifles, my all round hunting rifle is a synthetic stocked, scoped M1A that weighs 10 1/2 pounds unloaded. It is well balanced, accurate and it is not at all heavy to me. I have carried it all over the Wasatch Mountains in Utah just as easily as in the woods here in Missouri.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I think the term encompasses several types of rifles.

Ultra light rifles (I don't like these - like a 5lb 300 WBY).

Lightweight Sheep/Goat Rifles (I love these - like a 7.5lb 280 on a G.33/40)

Lightweight Elk Rifles (I like these- like a 7.5lb 338-06)

"Mountain Rifles" for people who don't want to climb the mountain (I don't like these- like a 340 RUM or 338 Lapua or 50 BMG).

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well said ForrestB!

<Pistolero in NM>
posted
I am infatuated with sheep and all that implies. I pour over O'Conner and old issues of Wild Sheep. I have been trying to figure out what kind of rifle I want to put together.In my mind there are two kinds of classic mountain/sheep rifle the first a walnut stocked 270 either on Mod 70 or 98 the other a fiberglass stocked Rem 700 in 280 maybe 7 mag(I don't like recoil). I can't make up my mind as it seems both Win and Rem quality has dropped off,and used 280s are hard to find.There are other options but in my mind I would like to see one of these rifles in my picture when I finally draw that desert tag!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really must focus more on those magazine articles. It appears I have it all wrong.

My mountain rifle is a 10.5# .375 H&H. Long eye relief 3x9 gets me out to three hundred just fine. Nice and easy to shoot. Critters respond well to impact.

A mountain rifle is any long arm the individual carries into the steep stuff, has confidence in, and shoots well. There are nearly as many variations of the mountain rifle as there are individuals.

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
Mr. Lyons I shot my first deer in Licking Missouri!

Why M. Holmes you are a man after my own heart!
I have a good friend in Wyoming that stands 5'8" tall and weighs a 130 lbs soaking wet. His gun is a 375 H&H for elk.....several one shot kills to his credit with that 10 pound rifle.

It just goes to show you, that the words "mountain rifle" cover a broad sector to many hunters. One mans junk is another's treasure so to speak.

<merkelmeister>
posted
break action, single shot. kipplaufbuchsen in german. carpathian mountain rifle. caliber is suitable for stag, elk, goat, sheep. scoped for 250-300 yard shots not workable for iron sights.

weight about 7.5 pounds with sling and scope.

accurate to 3 inches at 300 yards.

caliber is 6.5 mm to 9.3

rimmed cartridge.

I have one on order right now from Merkel.

It will take my next elk, deer, thar, and then some.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To be honest the rifles I use in the mountains are not typical mountain rifles.They weigh 9 to 9-1/2 lbs with scope and sling and are long actions in 7mmstw and 300 ultramag.I have carried these rifles on many sheep and elk hunts and don't have the desire to change as my rifles are so accurate and have such flat trajectory.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T/Jazz,

If you're ever in this neck of the woods again, stop by and visit.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
Robert D. I would be delighted too!

I have a friend getting ready to retire in your neck of the woods this year. His mother still lives down in that hill country.