New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 I'm sold!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After reading all the positive comments about 9.3x62 I had a Shilen select barrel installed on a sako. I didn't have reloading components so I used Lapua 285 Mega factory ammo. Recoil like an 06 with 1/2 inch groups! Where has this caliber been all my life? thumb

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Enjoy. beer

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I bought one on a lark ... it was cheap. Is light, accurate, and has very moderate recoil. Good deal.

Had a sequence of problems that required me to take it to Africa last year ... was a wonderful performer!!!! I'm completely convinced too.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
After reading all the positive comments about 9.3x62 I had a Shilen select barrel installed on a sako. I didn't have reloading components so I used Lapua 285 Mega factory ammo. Recoil like an 06 with 1/2 inch groups! Where has this caliber been all my life? thumb

I didn't know Shilen was making a 9.3mm barrel - it's not listed on their website... bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my cz 9.3x62 it is a great little round for sure !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62:

You may have to call Shilen but they have them. They require a number 3 or larger diameter. Mine is in stainless.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where has this caliber been all my life?

Big Grin
LJS - Like you - I have also been enlightened!
thumb

If you think it's a great rifle now, wait until you start killing stuff with it!
Wink

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heh. Wait until you shoot something with it. Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Santa Barbara Mauser with a 24" CM Douglas barrel. It was part of the reason MStarling was led astray Wink. It thinks it's a varmint rifle, and tries to put everything into little bitty groups at 100yds especially 286gr Barnes X or Nosler Partitions.

yup, wait till you start shooting game with it, your other rifles may become redundant.

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
9.3x62:

You may have to call Shilen but they have them. They require a number 3 or larger diameter. Mine is in stainless.

Too bad they didn't have it on their website, I like Shilen barrels and may have used them for my last few 9.3 projects. Oh well, Douglas, Pac-nor, Lilja, and Krieger have me covered, but good to know for next time around...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Dark Side of the force

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
idahoelk101

I always thought the "dark side of the force" were the guys using a 45/70. jump

one of us
posted Hide Post
ljs..welcome to the 9.3x62 clan. i have a stock cz lux with a 1x4 leupold on it. it's quicking becoming my favorite rifle.

on march 20 i called up a big male bobcat. only took one speer 270 grn thru the shoulders to kill him Big Grin you'll hear people badmouthing the speer 270 gn as being too soft(and they probably are for big stuff) but i consider them to be THE 9.3mm varmint bullet Big Grin.

you'll have fun with your 9.3. good luck...bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those guys that thinks the 270 gr Speer is too soft for larger game ... but I'll bet it makes a heck of a varmit load!!!

Glad to find a use other than paper for them.
'

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I screwed up, I've been shooting coyotes with 286 partitions, may be a little heavy for smaller varmints like prairie dogs. Elmer would consider this a fine medium range varmint caliber.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jstevens...i think that for something as small as prairie dogs i would back off to a 250 grn ballistic tip. it's just my personal preference, but i don't like to put up with any more recoil than is absolutely necessary. although i've never shot a p-dog, i think a 250 grn bal tip should provide a quick, humane kill, assuming proper shot placement. elmer would be proud...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first coyote I shot with it was about 220 yards, fell over against a grass clump and died with all four feet straight up. This was with a 286 gr NP, as he was wandering around in the middle of a herd of our cattle, didn't walk out and see where I hit him.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

just for the sake of posting a pic...here's the bobcat i killed the other day with my 9.3

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love both my Sako Mannlicher and CZ 550 FS in this caliber....this cartridge fits both these rifles so well......accurate and deadly....

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote