New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger express-Mato-colt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know why ruger quit making the express rifle in medium bores?Does anyone know where a new 338 is for sale?How many of these medium bores were made?will the price go up on these rifles much-i.e.collectable?Also was the berretta mato discontinued?And the colt lite rifle ,was it anygood?What other nice rifles have been discontinue in recent years?Rem.ADL?Win.9422?376styer?win.94-444?Marlin 270-3006bolt?What else?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackbear-the last time I checked American Outdoor Sports in Farmingdale, NY had a NIB Ruger Express in .338 Win. The phone# is 631-249-1832 I believe. If you call ask for Jose-he's a good guy to do business with.

Doug

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt in .270. I tried to order one when I first heard of it but was told they rifle had been canned. I was glad to find out later that there were quite a few out there to be had and I bought one. It shoots well and I hunt with it 90% of the time. The trigger isn't great but I've become accustomed to it. I've thought of upgrading it with a NULA stock and getting a different trigger but think I'll just leave it as is.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I believe the condensed story on the colt rifle is Colt bought ULA and brought on the former owner, things didn't work out and he went back and started NULA, or *new* ultra light arms. There was a recall on some of the colt rifles for what I remember had something to do with the trigger. My safety was also poor when I received it and I sent it back to Colt and they repaired it. I've heard different numbers on how many made it out to distributors but I think it was between three and ten thousand rifles in .270, 30-06, 7rem mag and 300 win mag.
I like the fact that it isn't just a standard action with a wimpy short barrel and label as a light weight rifle. It has a scaled down action and a full 24in barrel. The stock isn't great but not near as bad as some factory sythetics.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a deal on a new Colt in 7 Rem Mag and other than the trigger, the worst I have ever pulled, it is a very nice rifle. A Remington trigger mechanism fit with out modification and I put a little accra gel behing the lug and under the rear tang. I've got about 50 rounds down it and only a couple of the loads I've tried have gone over an inch. The finish is fine for a factory and even though I dislike injection molded stocks this one fits well. The one piece (like the new light Talley)scope base/rings that came with it are very nice and did't really need lapping. Barrel cleaned relatively easy for a factory rifle and over all I'm very impressed.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
easyup, which safety did you use?

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
BBH,

I get the CDNN Investments catalog (which you can download from their site as a pdf). They buy discontinued lots from the distribution pipeline. They have had Colts, and no are selling the Ruger Express rifles (.270 Win only). There are one or two other companies in this business.

The Mato was cancelled by Beretta after they bought Sako (and all their bolt action designs). You did get a Dakota action and a Lothar Walther barrel with that one.

Winchester has cancelled its push feed M70 too.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just on the Kittery Trading Post website and they are listing a colt in 7MM Rem Mag

Doug