THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Boss setup on a winchester 70 300 win.magnum?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boss setup on a winchester 70 300 win.magnum?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can anyone tell me the sweet spot on a boss for a winchester model 70 in 300 win.magnum rifle with all the common bullet weights?Is there a chart somewhere that gives this info?without a chart,what would you recommend as a starting place?Iam thinking mostly 165-180-200gr.bullet weights
Thanks for any help thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
When they shipped new from Win, there was a card in the box with "sweet spot" starting points for the more common bullet weights. It was either a card or a small booklet, I don't remember for sure, but it was separate from the owners manual. It seems it was one card with all the calibers on it.

I had one on a 338 wm. I ended up having it cut off. I'm MUCH happier with it now.

You may be able to get one from the winchester website, if I recall, they have a bunch of their manuals avail in pdf format. If not, maybe an email to them. I have to go up in my attic today to fish out a box to another rifle I'm trading off this week, so I'll look in my 338 box and see if I still have the card. If so, I'll post up the info for you.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch! thumb
Do you have any idea how many years they were made in the winchester rifles?I read somewhere it was only a few years?
I do remember when they came out,but its been awhile,,, never owned one, but now have a chance to get one...Just wondering,did you cut the barrel back because of the noise of the brake & does the boss really help "any" with accuracy or just a bunch of smoke?
Thanks again patriot

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Winchester only ran them a few years, I also don't recall how many. I think they got caught up in a lawsuit over the noise? Not sure that's right, but I seem to recall some grief over it from customers with no hearing left. For some reason though, Browning seems to have escaped that. Doesn't make sense to me either?

Mine was from the first year of the BOSS ('93 I think, maybe '94?) I think I still have the sales slip somewhere... I really didn't want a brake'd rifle, but at the time it was the only one in town that came close to what I wanted. I had an elk hunt coming up and I wanted a wood/blued 338 winmag, in either a Rem or a Win. The only one I could find was the one with the BOSS on it.

It has always been a very accurate rifle, sub-moa with my partitions handloads. It is still sub-moa with the same load it shot well before the surgery, so I can't claim it was more or less accurate with the boss.

I basically couldn't stand the noise. The brake was very efficient at reducing recoil, and the rifle was easy to shoot from the bench, even with the slim hard rubber pad that came on the stock.

The very first time I fired it in the field, I knew that brake had to go! I tried the non-brake BOSS for a while (it was a separate accessory purchase through USRAC-don't know if they still offer those). But the non-braked version threw my groups into shotgun patterns. I never did get my rifle to group with that thing on there.

After the "surgery", I was very relieved and surprised to see that the rifle returned to shooting very pleasing groups with my original hunting loads I had used before. I did have the action rebedded, and the barrel floated. I also had a Kick Ease pad put on it to replace the slim hard rubber factory pad. I can still shoot it from the bench, but I can also now shoot it in the field.

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Both of my two current rifles with the B.O.S.S. system sre very accurate and both are unaltered factory guns. Not even the trigger pulls have been adjusted.

One caution I would express though...the factory suggested "sweet spot" setting for the B.O.S.S.es were apparently some pot-head's dreams. The recommended settings bore NO resemblance to what either barrel ended up liking.

The B.O.S.S. system is intended to let the owner "tune" for both his individual barrel(s) and his individual loads. Such a device wouldn't even be needed if the factory could tell you where to set it!!

I think the B.O.S.S. has proved itself very worthwhile on my guns, but I also believe one has to be willing to try a LOT of different settings (if need be) to find the right one for his barrel and ammo. Otherwise one simply can't get the best accuracy it can deliver....except by blind s--t house luck. Sometimes wherever you happen to start turns out the best, but usually not.

YMMV

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I had one of the first mod 70 classics that came with the boss in 94 chambered in 270. I found the card to be spot on when using partitions. One thing I managed to find, and would recommend to anyone, is the conventional recoil accessory. It is basically the weight without the porting. It has to be the winchester one, evidently the Win and Browning have different pitch threads.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
blackbear,

Sorry, but it looks like I tossed out the BOSS stuff from my box. I must have done that when I had the @%&^ thing cut off. From my vague memory, it seemed like the heavier bullets liked the BOSS set further out, and the lighter bullets liked it turned back in. Not much help, I know, but give the website a look over, they may have the info avail there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The published sweet spots for the M70 in 300Win Mag are:
180gr Win: 0.2
200gr Federal: 2.8
220gr Win: 3.6

I have a 264 and a 280 with BOSS. It works great and the factory sweet spots were on the money. It is loud with the brake, but the BOSS CR (conventional recoil) works great too. Not real purty...but dang functional IMO.

What I recall reading was that sales with BOSS were pretty good for Browning rifles, but not for Winchester. The speculation was that M70 buyers were more traditional and did not like the looks of the BOSS on their rifles.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys so much for all the info thumb
I have been wondering,if the brake is so bad on a deer rifle,,,what do the snipers do when they shoot the big .50cal.Barrets?also do most hunters just carry a pair of plugs for there ears and put them in if they have time too?My hearing is pretty fried allready from shooting a 41magnum S&W for 30yrs.so i need to keep as much as i have left,iam gonna shoot the brake with headphones and plugs at targets...
Thanks again bigtime for all the help,this is just what i needed beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on my Browning A Bolt in 300 Win Mag w. BOSS, putting the plugs in "if they have time to" is not the way to do the ear protection thing when you are hunting.
I shot an elk several years ago without any ear protection, & could not hear at all for 30 minutes or so after the shot, had ringing & reduced hearing for several days afterwards & I don't think the hearing ever came completely back. I had a rock ridge at my back that I am sure reflected the noise some, but ever since, I hunt with either foam plugs lightly inserted or electronic muffs - - don't shoot even once without something to muffle the sound.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Like others mentioned, you may find a diff setting works best. I loaded for a M70 BOSS equipped 300WM a few years back and just started at 0 and worked up until I found a setting that worked. That was one very accurate factory rifle.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is speculation that ear plugs and muffs won't protect you from braked muzzle blast. The concussion from the blast is sufficient that the skull will transmit damaging vibrations back to the ear structure. I got the non-ported Boss for my A-Bolt.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My .338 Win Mag with the BOSS and the "CR" shoots 225 grain Sierra's like the photo below.
I hate the look of that damn BOSS and would cut it off if I thought it would still shoot like this.
By the way you can still go to the Wichester website and download the BOSS settings.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one thing i know for sure, its not at the shooting bench next to you.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
The published sweet spots for the M70 in 300Win Mag are:
180gr Win: 0.2
200gr Federal: 2.8
220gr Win: 3.6

I have a 264 and a 280 with BOSS. It works great and the factory sweet spots were on the money. It is loud with the brake, but the BOSS CR (conventional recoil) works great too. Not real purty...but dang functional IMO.

What I recall reading was that sales with BOSS were pretty good for Browning rifles, but not for Winchester. The speculation was that M70 buyers were more traditional and did not like the looks of the BOSS on their rifles.

Yep, what he said.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote