Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite rifle poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Many of us have rifles that have become treasured members of our families...sometimes for no immediately obvious reason or reasons.

Those favourites frequently include rifles which are beaters in some folks eyes, while sometimes other favourites can be mistaken for safe queens.

Hence the following options...

Question:
My favourite rifle is one of the following, and here's why it is my favourite:

Choices:
A beater, worn by long honourable use
A parts gun, salvaged from a nefarious past
A pure, pristine, custom in minty condition
A straight factory rifle,bought new and put to work
A factory rifle, modified to fit and suit me alone

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
A B can you add another option for a custom that is used but no longer "minty". Some of us build a rifle to 'use' and it is the fit that makes it a treasure rather than the pristine condition that you have as an option.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mines is going to be Mauser that I bought this year for 250 bucks and it looks better then the last gun I bought new. 8mm and hopefully this year It will have its first buck.

Posts: 526 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesA 6.5 Carcano given to me in 1956. It took 5 yrs. off and on to sporterize. It has the original stock , inletted, formed, stippled and refinshed. It now wares a Mauser Mod 93 magazine-trigger gaurd along with a ramp front sight and rear adjustable peep, black and white butt spacers and recoil pad. One of the inletted coins is a silver Kennedy 1/2 dollar. No disrespect to the President intended. In the 60s it killed several Mule deer one of which was a western 6 point estimated over 300 pounds.
fishingIt now lives with one of my sons and hasn't been fired in 37 years.
clapIt just happened to be a young man's labor of love. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
A B can you add another option for a custom that is used but no longer "minty". Some of us build a rifle to 'use' and it is the fit that makes it a treasure rather than the pristine condition that you have as an option.

Von Gruff.

Just the kind of comment I was hoping to get, Von Gruff. Unfortunately, I can't change the list of options once the voting has begun.

But your comments are what I was hoping at least a few would say.

So, anyhow, what IS your favourite rifle?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My L 46 in .222 with a Weaver K4 scope.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite--the one it seems like I always reach for even when it's more than I need is my 39 mod 70 300 H-H with an older 6x36 leupold on it--always Gits R Done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a M77 .308 tang safety bought in 1970, my 1st deer rifle. Still remember the trip to the dealer with my father to pick it up. Have many other tools in the shed, but it goes with me on all my hunts, and suprisingly, when I do carry it instead of the newer whizbang rifles, game shows up and ends up tagged! Hmmm, maybe a lesson there!

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm with VonGruff as to a choice of ; a "custom" built to be a working rifle,...as all of mine are just that.
in that catagory it would be my 7x57 improved on a G33/40. nicely built, it will dispatch anything i'll ever hunt, it's no safe queen, but beutifull in my eyes. i am as carefull in the field about my guns as the next guy, but have no use for a gun that would spoil your day if it got scratched.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a beater or mutt.
1916 gew mauser rebarreled in the 50s to 30-06.
Light colored stck and peep sights. the dang thing is indestructable and just plain fun to hunt with.
Bought it at auction for $200, shoots great and is always in the front of the safe to go hunting. Next would be a factory cz 550 in 9.3 x62 a close second .

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
None of the above:

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. AB,

Accidentally posted my reply as a new topic for disussion. My favorite is a Ruger 280. I like the way they fit and look but am tired of having to practically rebuild them for decent accuracy. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to rifle is a long suffering 30'06 Remington M700 ADL in an HS Precision stock with a rounded heel and a third swivel installed just forward the front action screw for a Ching Sling. The trigger is stock but adjusted to as light a pull as is safe; always meant to upgrade it but never did. Scopes -which have included a Vari-X II 1-4x, M8 4x, and 6x 42mm MC4 - ride in Leupold QRS rings. As with my other M700 I filed a flat on bolt handle root to clear the rear bell of low mounted scopes and touched it up with cold blue. My M700 has accounted for more than its share of venison and went with me to Africa in 1997 where I discovered "Old Reliable" gags on roundnose softs when working the bolt in a hurry. It's an honest minute and half rifle; it will shoot into 1.5 inches for ten shots, cold or hot, clean or dirty. The blueing is about as new except where I've worn it off the checkering on the bolt handle. My son used it for his second deer season fitted with the original wood shortened to his then shorter length of pull. My brother in law uses it to fill the freezer from time to time. It is perfect for nothing and good enough for just about everything. She'll do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any Mauser 98 will work for me.The one i use most is chambered for the 7x57 on a Mex action.I use it now more than my 700 Rem in 270.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all of the above.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
My favourite is a factory rifle that I had modified to suit me personally. It is a Remington 7600 carbine in 30-06. I didn't like Remington's carbine with the 18.5" barrel so I bought the rifle with 22" barrel and had it shortened to 20". Then I shortened the stock LOP to 13" to work better with bulky clothing in cold weather. The end result is that the OAL is the same as the factory carbine but with less muzzle blast and it is very handy at the carbine length. Not everyone's idea of the perfect rifle but it's quick handling and fast to get on target, it's become second nature to me.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote in the poll....yet. I have two problems. #1. The categories aren't exactly where my favorite may fit if I have one. #2. I am not sure which is my favorite!

I have one that is high on my list. It is a pre 64 Win 70 30-06 Fwt with recoil pad and Williams Firesights and Leupold 2-7 Vari-XII in QR mounts. This may be my favorite and I guess there is a category for it. ETA: Voted this one

I also have a 1st year production model 70 30 Gov't 06, with all the earliest features to include a 1935 dated C.M.S. barrel, that also was period modified for scope use to include D&T for the rear base, comb sliced and spliced high, and Tilden safety.

Then there is my 1956 (my birth year) M70 30-06 Std in 100% original, but well used trim.

Then my beater parts gun, one piece at a time 1950-1972, 20.5" Win 70 in 30 Gov't 06. This may replace my Fwt as my general use hunting rifle; Light, manueverable, and accurate. This gun is pretty neat and was quite a surprize testing loads. 10 shots over the chronograph while adjusting the Williams FireSights averaged 2673 fps using 180 gn Nosler Partition spitzers over 55.0 gns of IMR 4350; Hi was 2682 and Lo was 2663. I can't wait to scope it up and see what it will do!

Two other pre 64 Win 70 customs (more like customized)with stainless Douglad barrels, a 375 H&H and a 223 Rem round out my current lineup with 2 pre 64 Win 70 actions in reserve for future projects.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Factory rifles that I will tweak if need be to suit me. I'm not a big collector but I buy my rifles basically for hunting. I have only one wood stocked rifle but I do like the feel of it. It probably will never see weather conditions that I would be worried about it in (257 Wby for Arizona antelope and deer in the Sept/Oct timeframe).

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
M700 30-06 custom kevlar stock VXII 2-7 compact. 7lbs 2 oz empty. Just finished painting the stock for the third time after 25 years of service. Light, accurate and it fits Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A C,

I am definitely in the first answer group, a beater with blood lines... dancing

Mine happens to be an Argentine Model 98 in 7x57 as it came into the US many moons ago. It has the stepped military barrel, in the original military stock that I cut the front forarm off and screwed it to the top of the rear comb to make a high comb for scope use.. I used stainless steel wood screws so they wouldn't rust too...LMAO
It is a sight to behold.. Big Grin It clearly defines FUGLY... However, as with many adventures in my life, the thing shoots well enough you'd think it was a $1000 rifle.
( I was born under the right star...LMAO)
I've had it for close to 30 years, and just last year got sick and tired of the HORRIBLE military trigger, and installed a Huber trigger in it. It's just like down town now... jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A commercial Mauser 3000L 7mm Rem Mag purchased new in 1963 still got her and always will .

Saved my life once and has accounted for more 1 shot kills than any of my other rifles .

Fits like an old friend decent to look at with experience and still groups respectfully .

She wears a Leupold 3.5X10 matt variX111 now days ( I changed her dress from that old tattered Weaver

some years back ) . Some folks say she yells and spits , I say she speaks with authority and is on target .

If punching paper floats you then she will delight you , if hunting she will thrill you .

If a fine figure sleek lines fit to the likes of a fine custom rig is your thing

YOU WOULD CHERISH HER AS I DO !. A Blued Walnut , Mona Lisa !

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
A commercial Mauser 3000L 7mm Rem Mag purchased new in 1963 still got her and always will .

A Blued Walnut , Mona Lisa ![/b] :
You certainly have a way with words, Doc. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:

My most favourite of my favourites is a custom 1908 DWM 7x57 I built in the 1920'3 Stalking rifle Style.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when I was a kid, all we had were Factory Rifles and Wildcats on the (rag) pre-64 M70s. I'm glad I had the chance to mess with the Wildcats back then, because they are out of my Priority List of desires now. Way too much additional time consuming detail work, for no real advantage over Non-Wildcats.

Had a good number of M99 Savages which all shot well, carried in the hand better than most rifles, but always had short case life due to the way they lock-up.

Had to endure Termite Food and Rusting Blue steel for the majority of my life. Thank goodness that is all behind me. I get great pleasure from my Stainless and Synthetic(S&S) rifles and don't fret over rain or sweat getting between the barrel and stock. No concern if some mud or blood gets on them, or if they get whammed or somehow dropped. They still get cleaned at the end of the day, Zero is checked if needed, but the urgency is much less than with the old TF&RB.

So, I like Factory Rifles, pretty much as is. I do want to adjust the Trigger to the way I like them, but other than that, it is pretty much just Developing a Load and enjoying the shooting/hunting.

Since it is relatively easy to get the current generation of Factory Rifles shooting small groups(well under 1"), I just do not have a need for a Custom rifle. And I sure don't need a Pretty rifle, because you can't Pretty them to death.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
my current favorite is a commercial 98 mauser in 30-06.The important part is the tiny 3 shot groups it makes with hunting ammo.I also like the good trigger,positive feed and extraction,and light weight.$300 shipped price was nice,too.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger : You and I along with a select few on this site are old enough to remember when " Quality Rifles "

Were Factory Rifles from Decent Factory's back then . Wood was Beautifully figured excellent checkering.

Now it's called Select or presentation grade . Those Pre 64 Actions were are the Rage, steel was better

IMO Fit was like a Glove !. Production demand out source materials pride and time constraints have

changed so much of " The Good Ole Days " !. Bullets and Optics sure have IMPROVED and I'm not

complaining about any of it . ( Other than component shortages ) !!!. archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I own a factory rifle that hasn't been modified some how to make it a better hunting rifle. Bedding the most common then replacement triggers.

My favourite rifle is normally the one I have in my hand at the time Iam using it.

Posts: 19407 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
My favorite is my M700 bdl 7mm mag. She's my favorite because she was my first big ticket purchase. I've worked and made my own money since I was 12. I bought this gun when I was 14 or so. I paid $350 for a used, but not abused, tack driving beast with a 3-9 Nikon scope. She used to wallop me pretty good back then, but is very comfortable for me these days. I used to love blowing up milk jugs at 600 yds. with her. good times beer

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The options really didnt quite fit my favorite..but I picked #2.. It's one of a number of hobby rifles I put together myself.

Its ugly, cheap and utilitarian....but I really have grown to like it...and it has worked well for me in a lot of different hunting situations...

It is a 338-06AI, I built on a VZ-24 action with a Choate stock, timney trigger/safety and a 19" bargain basement A&B barrel... Yeah, yeah..I know A&B barrels are junk...but I got lucky and this one shoots really well.

I built it on a whim, trying to make a lightweight treestand rifle to use in the swamps...actually turned out to be accurate enough to use out to 300yds...I grab it more often than anything else in the safe...and there are a pile of other prettier and accurate rifles in there to choose from... Go figger!

Z

Posts: 500 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Started out as a kid using 30-06. When I finally got a little money saved up, bought a Ruger in .257 Roberts mostly because it was a classic caliber even at that time. It has been a great rifle thru all these years now.

Posts: 52 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pure, pristine, custom in minty condition

But.....someday, after many hunting seasons it'll look like an old war horse thats been well fed and cared for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1963 Browning Safari in .30-06 topped with a Balvar 8A scope.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Favourite rifle is the 300 Win Mag. I even took my 300 Ultra Mag to africa and killed all my game with it shooting 200gr Nosler Partitions. Love those 300s.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to think hard about this question. My favorite rifle Mdl 700 BDL varmint in 25-06, my first high power. A rifle to hunt varmints and deer. Its definatly been 100% reliable, trustworthy, honorable. Well you get the idea. Wouldn't sell for anything. Got several others, but I always go back to it. Its no safe queen on looks, because its had a working life. It is 35 years old and shoots great. It definatly is a beauty in my eyes and hands.

Posts: 54 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
quote:

My most favourite of my favourites is a custom 1908 DWM 7x57 I built in the 1920'3 Stalking rifle Style.

Von Gruff.

That is a nice rifle.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My favorite happens to be a semi-custom. I was with the AF Marksmanship School prior to applying and going through OTS. A gift from several known people was a standard 1B Ruger barreled action in 7mm Mag, triple-A fancy wood from a certain stock provider, receiver engraved and satin nickled by someone whose work was in older Gun Digests, and the stock finished and checkered by another. All three are dead, unfortunately. That rifle has always been my favorite and used for hunting. The memories of the men, the hunts, and the reason for me receiving it will always keep it that way.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Roger : You and I along with a select few on this site are old enough to remember when " Quality Rifles "

popcornInteresting you should mention that. Received a No. 46 Mossberg 22 this week. They thought the old man would appreciate it. I did. It was in perfect working order, shot great, and was wareing the most beautifully colored, straight grained piece of Black walnut I've seen in a long time. Can you belive it *** MOSSBERG ??? claproger

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Semi-custom Remington 721 in .300 H&H my dad-in-law stumbled into in town near our old deer lease. I swapped the gun shop two shotguns straight up and had my kudu rifle. A trophy rifle, if there is such a thing. In other words, the story around it along with how it shoots makes it my favorite.

Posts: 4859 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
To me, that is like asking which one of your kids do you like the most...

to quote a friend " I love all rifles... just some more than others..."

I keep the rifles I have because I like them...

I am more particular about cartridges...

I have preferences for rifle actions..Model 70 being at the top...

anyone worth his salt loves Mausers...

I am getting awfully fond of the Savage action as I play with it...

one of my favorite quotes from AR here, was the guy who's signature line was " may I live long enough to shoot and wear out the barrels of each rifle I own..." thumb

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
#1. The categories aren't exactly where my favorite may fit if I have one. #2. I am not sure which is my favorite!

Yup. I do have a personal favorite, barely.

Posts: 15892 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote