THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Anyone tried a 300 RCM (Ruger Compact Magnum) yet?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone tried a 300 RCM (Ruger Compact Magnum) yet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Pretty much done on the load development. Happy with the velocity if not the accuracy. Primers not even flattened as yet. The 61.0gr load of W760 had a ES of 24 & a SD of 9.4.

I do feel that a bedding job will improve groups as the barrel just seems excellent. That may have to be next.

regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Hey John,

Looks good. I have not had a chance to return to the range yet with my next batch, but hopefully this week. I'll keep you posted.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric I just got news from my gunsmith that my Ruger (as well as many other 300 & 338 RCM's in Australia - 26 in all) is the subject of a Ruger recall. I've had this gun for more than a year so why now is a bit of a mystery not to mention a PITA. I have sent quite a few T-TSX's down the tube and they are $82 for 50 here!

Apparently, the subject of the recall is that on some rifles the rear sight screw holes have been drilled straight through the barrels. Have sent a few loads down now - anyone know how much barrel thickness must be leftover? Would've thought that if mine was drilled right through the rear sights would have flown off on the first couple of shots.

regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Wow - that is news. I'm on vacation with the family right now but I'm going to check that when I get home. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sent from my Itouch.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote